Modded: Small Sun ZY-T13 3.2 Amps or Sunwayman T40CS Clone

Tom, I’ve been waffling back and forth between the zy-t08 and the zy-t13. If you wanted to make an inexpensive thrower, which one would you choose and why?

You know, I'm thinking the same thing... Reflectors are nearly the same. If you want pure power, don't care how difficult the mod is, go with the T08 - I got over 200 kcd on a de-domed XM-L2 U2 1A-1C in a T08, and went with a sandwhich style Nanjg at 4.55A (yes - double piggyback'ed 1 chip), and added copper inside the pill. The T13 is limited because of the 2 batts in series, and heard can't go too high with the resistor mod (1.7A measured is probably a little too high).

In the T08 you got a normal alum pill - the T13 is like a Jacob A60, no threaded pill and the pill top is anodized and not level - it dips in in the middle which means you won't get a good bond with the SinkPAD. I just did mine last night - sanded the pill top and it's quite clear to see. Put a lot of AS5 under there and none squeezed out, so it's all in that shallow cavity -- a little scary!!

So, the mod for the T13 is easier (just the resistor mod - actually used the FT 10 ohm trim pot), no Nanjg, no soldering 5 7135's, no stripping components off a driver, no added copper....

For the T08, with the UCL/p you pick up clearance, so, I added a 22 gauge copper disc under the SinkPAD -- a lot more work going on for the T08 and outstanding results.

I’m an advocate of parallel battery config but in this case I’d still go for T13. Absolutely love the forward clicky/always-start-high UI, definitely designed for a thrower.

The best reason would be that the buck driver is able to drive emitter harder and more stable, regardless of battery status. On mine, it will steadily deliver 3A even when battery is well below halfway. You can’t do this with a parallel battery (e.g T08), unless it’s using boost driver.

The downside is it’s not pocketable, and being in series, you do need a good matching protected battery.

I agree - really like the UI on the T13 over the T08 for the same reasons as you, but (big but), the driver sucks - hate 5 modes, med isn't much less than high, low should be lower. On the T08 -- custom driver, programmed, moonlight, battery status, etc. - anything I want basically. Also would like the T13 UI better if I could turn power on/off via the side switch and not have to use the tail switch.

It’s a tough call but I think I’m going for the T13. It just seems it can over-drive the led a bit easier with two bats in series. I hadn’t heard the T-13 driver resistor mod could only go so hi. Maybe after I get the light I’ll see how far I can push the stock driver. In case I toast it, has anyone tried out this driver?

havn’t used that driver but i have used this one.

Thanks. Reading about it now.

Just measured lux at 114,300 on my XP-G2 at 4.2 Amps. Not dedomed yet. Might do that soon.

You mean candela, or lux at 1 meter? That's a nice # for straight w/dome - is the XP-G2 on a SinkPAD? Did you do the resistor mod to bring it up to 4.2A?

You got me think'n if I should raise my amps up - I got the trim pot in there for 3.4A now...

eh……lux at 1 meter. I measured at 3 and converted back.

I did the resistor mod, but wasn’t happy at 3.4

Yep on a sinkpad

How big of a difference do you think a dedome will make?

Like 2 to 1 from what I've been hearing - that's what I got on XM-L2's, think it's the same for XP-G2's. Gas is great!

Did you soldered together legs 1 & 2 on a tripot?

Yupp. Not something that is needed. I believe my brother said it was good for something…

Thanks

wow that’s really nice. from 40k lux to 146k that’s amazing.

Hhhmm, I don't solder the 3rd leg of the pot - I just bend it back out to the side and up, out of the way of anything.

Well when you think about it, you tweak up the amps replace the emitter with an XM-L2 on a copper direct path MCPCB, then de-doming doubles the kcd, so, the #'s do add up. Of course doubling the kcd doesn't double the distance. Typically replacing XML U2's with XM-L2 U2's on copper PCMCB's results in about a 20% lumens increase and 40% throw increase of kcd -- the kcd percentage improvement is always higher than the lumens improvement -- that rule seems to be across the board on mods I've done.

Hello modders! I’ve just purchased this light, it hasn’t arrived yet, but i am already planning modifying it.
What are your opinions about it? :
I want to get a 60mm aspheric from kd, then rise the sinkpad about 4mm to get the perfect focal point. Do the resistor mod. Then switch the led.
What do you know about these lens? If i put the top of the dedomed die at its given fl, will it be the perfect (smallest) focus, or you have to play with it? What led model do you recommend to get the maximum lit distance either with reflector or lens? xp-e2? xr-e? xp-g2?
Wht is the rule of thumb with these emitters? The smaller the die the smaller the light spread will be?

sounds like you are on the right track. the xpe2 will probably be your best bet for throw. the 60mm from KD needs some grinding to fit the T13 head and honestly I may have got a bad one, not sure, but it was a total P.O.S. projected multiple overlapping images. YMMV. they are never perfect on the first try, you will have to tinker with it. the other thing is, i just received 15 / T13’s from MANAFONT. TWO with aluminum reflectors and 13 with plastic reflectors. although the beam pattern is really good, i doubt they can take the heat of an overdriven LED. I hope you get one with an aluminum reflector. Needless to say I am not happy, and i don’t expect Manafont will do anything about it.

does anybody know if just the reflectors are available for the t13, t620, t08? The plastic reflectors in the t13’s i have , got to go!

kevin