MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

No warning here on Firefox 39.0.3 linux. Though I believe I saw it on you old host.
I’ll blame Tyler too. Despite not knowing who Tyler is.

Doesn't matter. It is all for a good cause ;)

strange goings on……

I run security software too but never had any alarms on mtnelectronics

It is not the individual user...it the ISP they go through.

No warnings here. My ISP is Charter Communications. My browser is Firefox and my operating system is Microschlock Win XP.

Apropos this comment and others:

Others have mentioned the same pattern — that the first samples, and the first small production run, are excellent.
Then someone makes a big commercial order — and what comes through has substitutions that make it cheaper and, often enough, crap.

An observation here at BLF some years ago (I wish I could find it again) was made by a European working in China.

He described this in detail: the companies he worked with suckered people with good early samples, but never worried about burning any customer on a later big order — because the universe of possible customers was so big, and the reputation of the supplier so unimportant to getting new customers.

The pattern isn’t unique to China obviously — that’s the current example. The expression “fly by night operator” comes from US history — the seller who disappears.

This story cautionary for buyers, and for companies that mature to where they want to build and maintain — longterm — a reputation.

The research bears this out, interestingly:

Hank, that seems to be true. I've had to deal with these problems a lot in this business. There is a reason why everyone who cares about repeatable quality has someone over there overseeing production.

On a happier note, I do have a few new things in stock, including the blue Convoy S2+ lights and hosts. The finish on these lights is excellent, just like the red S2+.

Read the book Poorly Made in China :bigsmile:

Let me google that for you .

Only raises more questions! :smiley:
I’m on PAC rom btw and I haven’t seen a Blame Tyler. :_( Is this only on nightlies, RC?

Huh. Degraded over time in a calculated way, he says.
Eerily familiar.

An earlier article by the same author: Dealing With China's 'Quality Fade'

The initial production sample is fine, but with each successive production run, a bit more of the necessary inputs are missing.

What is maddening to importers is that quality fade often occurs in the last place an importer thinks to check. One American company had been importing a line of health and beauty care products for over a year when the cardboard boxes that held its product suddenly started collapsing under their own weight. There was no logical explanation for the collapse except quality fade, and the supplier in this case blamed subsuppliers for replacing an acceptable cardboard box with ones that were inferior.

Some quotes from the book:
———————————

“Engineers knew precisely what each part should look like, and there was a small surprise when the supplier was found to be taking metal out of certain components. One key part that weighed about 48 kilograms was coming in at less than 90 percent of its intended weight. The factory had taken the weight reduction as a cost savings for itself and had passed only the resulting product risk on to Build”

“Supplier relationships were almost never better than they were at the very beginning. Manufacturers intentionally degraded the quality of their product, and at the same time, they found small ways in which to ratchet up prices in the short term.”

“They believed that the customer’s exact wishes mattered only as far as they were necessary to capture the initial order. Beyond that, they figured, what an importer didn’t know couldn’t hurt it.”

― Paul Midler, Poorly Made in China: An Insider’s Account of the China Production Game

and from a review

“Mr Midler’s work is coping with what he calls “quality fade” as the Chinese factories transform what were, in fact, profitless contracts into lucrative relationships. The production cycle he sees is the opposite of the theoretical model of continuous improvement. After resolving teething problems and making products that match specifications, innovation inside the factory turns to cutting costs, often in ways that range from unsavoury to dangerous. Packaging is cheapened, chemical formulations altered, sanitary standards curtailed, and on and on, in a series of continual product debasements…

… large, modern Chinese factories outsourcing work to smaller, grittier, facilities even though this meant forgoing the production benefits from economies of scale. The tiny outfits were in a much better position to skirt environmental controls and safety standards for products and workers.

…the primary source of discovery will come in the worst possible way—by consumers who buy Chinese products, only to discover their flaws themselves.”

_
and another review:

The behaviors you described can be called like “亮刀” or “讨价还价” and “偷工减料” or “卡油“ which are common habits or even instincts deeply planted into the majority of Chinese (business men). These can mean ”no matter how cheap a deal has been, they want it cheaper a bit” and “if you think a good made by them is ok, then they will sneakily degrade the good next time a bit again and again until you start complaining on it”.

The truth is that doing so is irresistible for them, or they will feel very uncomfortable (just think about perfectionism). Chinese have profitabilitism. Please understand they are not bad people, they just can’t help doing it, but still annoying.

You make things for the proud of your craftsmanship and toward perfection during the improvement of products, so pushing the boundary of quality and functionality, and making your customers more satisfied are your highest priorities, while for the majority of Chinese, they make things for making money only in heart, so maxmizing the profit by testing the bottom line of your durability of their products is their 1st priority. In other words, you care how satisfied your customers are, but they care how unsatisfied their customers are! Each side hardly understands each another. This is just 2 different ways people survive. We have to accept or escape it.

My advices if you want to come:

1. try to find partners with similar philosophy and value as yours, say high social responsibilities, sympathetic, customer first, consistent perfectionism etc.
  2. IF HAVE TO deal with those shity business men, never try to change their point of view, or you will be depressed and frustrated. Keep barely unsatisfied for their results all the time. And dont forget always call a price better than your expectation to intentionally give them a bit space to “讨价还价” beacause they need a kind of sense of achivement when they beat you on the conference table.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1326032591?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1

It’s just the crash screen for Pacman rom. If you haven’t had one, then you aren’t having any problems. I just mentioned blame Tyler because I was being smart. If you haven’t noticed yet, I like being a smartass on BLF. Most of the time I’ll just post a goofy picture like the Cree rainbow or cool white harshes my mellow demotivational pictures that I made. :smiley:

Hi Richard. When are you expecting PCBs on your 17mm MTN-MAXlp HP 4-Layer Buck Driver PCBs? I’d like to buy some kits from you, do you have components for a handful of these kits?

Are there a review on the 818? Can’t seem to find something… Looks like a promising light :wink:

I ordered some more 4-layer boards over a week ago. I have a ton of components.

Ok, thanks Richard. I’ll keep an eye out for them…

Hi Richard, do you have a driver (like a Nanjg 105D) that can fit lights like the X6, A6, etc and be flashed with guppydrv? The regular Qlite drivers don’t seem to fit under the retaining ring of the Eagle-Eye X6.

Anyone else notice the faster USPS shipping times since Richard moved back to Utah from Seattle? I have! My last order arrived in north Idaho after only 2 days in transit. I recall my orders originating from Seattle taking about 3-4 days in transit, even though Seattle is hundreds of miles closer to me.

They don’t fit my Blue S2+ either. The only way other than going with a 105D is to not use the ring and solder the driver to the pill. :frowning:

I was going to get some 105Ds, but then I realized that they don't even fit in a lot of the lights. Convoy still solders the 105D in the S2/S2+/S6 lights.