New Solarforce P1 - Is Available!

yep, it is available at solarforce-sales . com

Heres a not so good but not so bad review of the P1

At 1:10 -> please don´t say that head area is all yellow plastic...

sure does look that way. thats te only reason i havent ordered one yet

Can it be that they are still without a clue what heatsinking means, at this state of flashlight business??

Very, very hard to believe.

You guys are right. the neck and head of the P1 is made of the plastic stuff. I just got mine. sigh and i was planning on using a 3A Xml in it haha

I thought it mentioned somewhere about the host being made from Aluminium/plastic for good heat transfer. What is the point if the bit that holds the drop-in, is plastic?

What does this mean for performance? What is the brightest LED we can put in there?

Marc.

Well, if it is plastic-headed, I don´t know.

You CAN put there anything you want but I think a P60 Sags enough with even all precautions done so...

0.7A driven XM-L?

Your favorite incan-dropin?

1.4A driven xm-l in a P1 host would be a nice little light.

After all, there might be differences in plastic in which conducts heat less and which more.

1.4A will also get hot but not too soon, not a bad idea, one of my favorite dropins already at the moment!

I suppose an XML @ 1amp would give you around 350lm. You could argue that it's enough for most lights, I guess.

Or even an XPG @ 1amp should give 300lm, there about's.

Marc

Sent and received the following:

Dear friend,

Thanksf or yoru email and nice to have a cahcne to serve you

For this, we have already do alot of testing for the heat sink issue

WE have test to make sure the heat spread is good

For our testing, even, we use XML high output bulb, it still can be use
without any prolbem

No need to close every 5 mins, for sure, you can use to for long hour,
30 mins, 1 hour, it will be no problem

Thanks for your email and recommdation.

If you have any questions, please email us we will answer yous hortly

Regards

JO

Sales Team

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:11:53 -0600, XXXXXXXXX@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi Jo,
>
> I bought a yellow P1 from you, planning on using a 3A drop-in but
> when it arrived, I discovered that the head and neck had no aluminium
> at all!
>
> this would be bad for the heat and I am writing to complain that
> there is no warning not to use a high-powered drop-in as the heat
> would not be dissipated properly. So now I have a P1 that I can only
> switch on for 5 minutes due to the heat problems.
>
> The work on the head is not very well made. Could you please let me
> know what Solarforce is going to do about this?
>
> To be honest, I expected more from Solarforce.
>
> Please advise.

Yes indeed it can be used but I would still be very interested, how much / how much MORE it sags sompared to aluminun head host.

By sag, i assume you mean luminous sag. As in, how much lumens decrease as it gets hotter?

Yes. I have hard time thinking, it would perform as good or better than full-ALU host :|

On the other hand, for short term use it is not an issue. Few people use it like so but I do at my work.

So, this plastic thing does not necessarily rule out this as a host for all uses. Anyway, for longer term light I always use MED on my 3-5 mode XM-L´s so it just might do the trick even with plastics.

Wow, plastic head... that's not what I expected. Why bother with the aluminium battery tube when the rest is plastic? Originally I planned to lego another head onto it, maybe with stripped ano. Would have looked awesome. But this has turned me comlpetely off the P1. Gonna get me a L2m instead. What a shame.

Do you have the means to test if there is any serious sag? If so try it and if it sags too much, contact Jo and tell him!

I have a hard time believing that something that is not cold to the touch in winter, is going to transfer heat well. After all plastics generally are insulators.

Marc.

I have a 3A NW drop in from intl-outdoors coming and it has thermal protection at 55C. Im hoping this will be good for the P1. But no, i dont have any means of testing it.

Well, I guess the best test you can do is drop it in and see if it cuts out and how long it takes. Sounds about as technical as you need to get, to be honest.

Marc.

My thoughts exactly. I don't get it.