Newbie after advice...on next torch purchase..

Seriously? You have to ask this kind of question? I’m out.

the stratosphere. You’re one of those types that likes to irritate well-meaning people because to be frank you’re an AH.

yes ? i never mentioned i had a charger i was looking for a charger and batteries for the torch i just bought i didnt find one to buy.

I give up….

In another thread (this one:https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/12015) you said that you currently possess 14500 Li-ion batteries. Do you currently have a charger for those batteries. And if so, what is the make and model of that charger.

Here’s one from a seller in the UK. Olight S65, uses AA’s, cheaper than AAA’s. Both Traded: Custom Neutral white Olight S65, and Trustfire Z8. All shipped from within the UK.

Oh that one yes its a blank black charger with a red/green light space for x2 14500 batteries still works fine as far as i know, it came with this torch “TrustFire R5-A3” will check tomorrow if there’s any brand name or anything on the charger.

EDIT: Looks similar to this charger http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TrustFire-R5A3-CREE-XP-G-R5-800Lm-Flashlight-Torch-CHA-/270900240688?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item3f12e9a130

Check it and let us know. Take a photo of yours and post it if you can.

Cheap Li-ion chargers can be dangerous fire hazards. It's best to know exactly what you have.

Post a photo of your TrustFire R5-A3 also if you can.

Will do, but i feel like i’m no longer welcome here just because i dont know much about torches and my wording ain’t great i cant help this. I am sorry if i have upset/offended anyone. :frowning:

Everybody is welcome on BLF... occasional expressions of frustration notwithstanding.

Ignore the ink on the battery i marked it as a good battery.

Is the R5-A3 as big as you want to go?

The R5-A3 is 98mm long x 21mm wide which is about average for a torch that uses one 14500 battery.

18650 batteries have almost 4 times the energy capacity of 14500 batteries. And a compact 18650 torch is about 115 to 120 mm long and 24mm wide. They are not much bigger.

120mm should be ok if the gain in battery life and more lumens is much greater also should be fine… I’m off to bed goodnight all :slight_smile:

Where's the "hitting the head against the wall" smiley?

Rojos may just be The Most Patient Man In The World and I wouldn’t be surprised if he drinks Dos Equis too.

All I know is after this I feel like drinking a case myself. :smiley:

I like the pictures, good to see a nice pic of a light with some wear on it. Yeah if that light is using lithiums then the lenser is really going to be a bummer. Might as well have ordered a Sipik SK68.

Probably ought to show him some beam shots to make sure sees the different leds - an XML in 2100 tube size is pretty different from what he has - for close up work he’ll like it (especially with lots of modes like Erik does).

My guess is he just has crap batteries ..he says it's bright when first turned on and then goes into the dumper ..he bought it as a combo off ebay ...I love how people don't want to buy from chinese vendors like dino or dx kd or the like yet buy stuff off of ebay ..Probably from much less reputable vendors (In China)..

There isn't a thing wrong with your trustfire light ..

you just have crap batteries ..

Do you have a multimeter ? Are you charging them properly ? fully ?

Do some research (on blf) and buy some decent batteries

I personally think you will like the led lenser . The build appears to be fairly well put together.Lots of people like them ....until you know better ,then you'll probably wish you spent your dime somewhere else ..We all do it and we all have a set of trash batteries or a dumb charger from when we thought we were being extra smart to catch a deal .. Best lights to buy on Blf are the ones the whole forum is falling all over themselves to get.Spend some time just watching and reading and it will be obvious what to buy .

You may be expecting too much out of the trustfire or a 14500 battery ..In which case the led lensers output will disappoint you ...and like someone suggested an 18650 light might be more appropriate for the kind of output you're looking for.

Welcome to BLF :P

Pictures of the charger for my old torch as requested …

Charger looks pretty slow (good for battery) - are you charging one battery at a time with it? Some like that need two depleted batteries in it to charge properly. How long does it take to fully charge (4v+) your 14500?

Boaz’s comments about the battery and using a meter to do some readings with it sound very valid.

If you can, what is the voltage of your suspect battery now? Is it fully depleted, or charged?