ok, I'm really HATING Anduril at the moment!

Thanks. Still not something I’d want for an EDC light that I use frequently, as it would require two hands and is still another thing to do twice every time you use the light. But good to know :slight_smile:

fwiw, I also have no interest in Anduril.

I use, and recommend the Jetbeam RRT-01… never comes on in pocket, tailstands, totally intuitive, no need to refer to the manual for anything.

So are you an expert in Linux? You know what’s an inode? Ever update the kernel? After all, if someone uses computers at all, he/she should be an expert in all things computer-related, no? Even if he has to look it up in a manual?

C’mon…

Someone just made the point that these lights aren’t anymore for any normal person who Just Wants Light, but they’re designed by flasholics to the point where you need a f’n manual to avoid triggering the light’s self-destruct command. Or have to poke at the sideswitch in morse code “idspispopd” to toggle between high→low and low→high.

“What? You can’t read the manual? What’s wrong with you? Are you stoopit?”

Wow, great attitude for a user or mfr to have…

Funtastic’s right, no one should ever gift (or sell) such a light to The Muggle. Or for that matter, any normal person, unless he/she promises to not try more than 2 clicks in any 10sec period, just to avoid doing anything “dangerous”.

Great, so the difference in these 3 ops is either 1 click, or whether it’s from on or off.

How do you think The Muggle will handle that? Or someone older trying to switch to ramped and then locking out the light with an “extra” click? Or trying to lock the light but missing a click?

And that precisely underscores my point, that of having the wiper switch right next to the parking brake switch. One little slip, and Bad Things happen.

Ie, thanks, you made my point for me, again.

Wasn’t “grasping” at straws just pointed out how your example is flawed and moot, IF you wanted to preserve nightvision you wouldn’t use anything higher than moonlight / low anyway…. I never said to accept the lockout feature either, I was just pointing out its simple and your example is poor especially if you want to “preserve” nightvision but want MOAR than moonlight.

I do drive manual at a highly proficient level that require rev matching downshifts, throttle control etc for auto slalom and drifting a skill that seems to have faded overtime.

I'm not a fan of the tail e-switch lights. I did get a couple FW3A's when they first came out, EDC'd one and same thing - multiple accidental activations. The EDC18 has been my primary EDC. If I want more throw, then the SD Mini. Set the deep pocket clip 90 degs off the switch with the switch facing inward, and no troubles.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the KR1. I was able to remedy button issues with my KR4. If the KR1 button is the same, perhaps these posts might help with making the button more resistant to accidental activation.

I’d been pushing TK for Anduril 2 for awhile and was excited to hear about V2. I was extremely bummed out to find there’s no turbo in the Simple UI. There should be a setting in Advanced that enables a 2 click turbo. I can’t understand why that was disabled when you can change the ceiling to max but lose out on having a High. Can someone urge TK to change the damn thing?

Not everyone who’ll use the Simple UI wants restrictions to the output. Not many want to buy a 3000 lumen flashlight to be restricted in its output. It should be a setting.

I feel Anduril should only be used on select BLF models as it’s ruining the market. I’m so pleased Convoy refused to use it. As a dealer it’s no fun having to selling Anduril to muggles, and I don’t have a say in who I sell to, they’re just up for sale.

Even Sofirn told me they hate Anduril as there’s too many returns and user issues, but everyone here demands they use it

Yeh, exactly. Wonder how many of those returns are because of being 1 click “off”…

Andy is great as far as flexibility, but damn, it’s just too easy to hurt yourself.

My biggest like is just being able to control the button-light so that it stays on when the light’s on. But at least that takes 7 clicks to get there.

People might sneer at “simple” UIs like on the SP31v2, but there ain’t gonna be many (if any) returns because of the UI.

Biscotti, something like 30 clicks to get into programming mode before it starts buzzing.

Narsim, similar, press’n’hold like 30sec or whatever to get into programming mode.

Andy? Hell, half the click sequences go changing or configging things whether you want it or not.

Great for the “expert” with eidetic memory who memorised the manual and uses almost all those operations on a daily basis for practice, but not so great for mom or sis or Joe The Mechanic down the street (who still sticks a minimag in his mouf to see what he’s doing).

I dunno what to tell you. We get beat up for having too little, beat up for having too much, and every possible thing in between. Some want the Zebra UI, some love ramping, some hate it. Some want SOS, some won't buy a light with SOS - on and on and on...

With turbo max, some want it safe, well maybe we all do, but many want sic output out of a pinky size light - can't have it both ways so easily.

We should have come out with something simple for mass use but I tell you what - if I were to do that then it's no longer a hobby.

Anduril/2 is architected pretty well for implementing alternate UI's.

My own opinion would be use the core UI of Anduril:

• 1C ON to last level, 1C off
  • 1H from OFF to lowest low, 1H from ON is up/dn
  • 2C to max/turbo

Everything beyond that is optional, choosing ramping or fixed # of levels, blinkies, lockout, momentary, AUX/switch LED support, and everything else. The 1-Series solves the temperature calibration problem, and in theory may make the voltage calibration unnecessary based on the driver and keeping parts consistent.

We could provide a simple app to custom configure what they want, save the result in a HEX file, putting the custom configuration in the hands of the seller/manufacturer. So no configuration UI involved. The manufacturer can decide whether to expose the flash pads or not (just 3 for the 1-Series).

I always hated it . I am happy with low, medium, high, and turbo SOS ? I don’t know anyone anymore who would recognize an SOS signal.

I doubt many young people have ever heard of Morse code .

A lot of these issues could be mitigated if Anduril had a “basic/regular” mode (perhaps less limited than Muggle Mode) that was shipped as the default, and reserved the full/advanced mode as something that has to be unlocked, for those who are so inclined, and can handle it, like hobbyists and those here.

The regular folks who buy lights from Amazon could remain oblivious and never know the difference, but not have an obviously gimped light, as far as output goes. Even a number of those aware of it could exercise caution, knowing it’s for advanced users.

Otherwise, it’s like shipping computers that default boot into the CLI, while most use the GUI.

I should also add that these companies don’t do themselves any more favors by noting “hidden” modes and Anduril when marketing to the common folk, because a good number of them will not resist, even if warned, and require support or do returns.

I love Anduril, but for Muggles should be a physical switch on the driver with which the user can switch between a Simple UI (with turbo) and full Anduril. The default setting should be SUI, with it you can easily give the flashlight as a gift for anybody.

I absolutely understand that but I just can’t understand why it’s not a setting that can be enabled? If Simple UI can have the ceiling increased for max output, then why isn’t there a setting to enable regular turbo? Makes absolutely no sense and partially ruins the Simple UI having no ceiling limit for High.

If “Simple UI” is to make it more “safe” then why on earth is there even a possibility to configure ceiling to max?

Nah, no one needs a switch on the driver or anything of the kind. Just hide the configgy type sequences so that they’re harder to get to.

4 clicks into lockout, hold for 30sec. Click 30 times for the “buzzing” into programming mode. Anything harder than 3click/hold or whatever, so that The Muggle can’t accidentally mung normal operation.

That’s all it takes.

Please don’t forget that Anduril is open source. You can change it exactly like you like it. What ToyKeeper makes with Anduril is her personal preference and that is all that counts.

Yes, but as a dealer, it’s been pushed onto many models and I certainly can’t spend time flashing everything.

Make Anduril available as an option users can flash themselves instead of asking it on every damn model that’s released, that’s the problem I’m facing as a store owner

Maybe just have a BLF line up of certain lights, but no, everyone demands it on everything

I’m still trying to figure out why no love for narsim. It does all the basics, lets you config the Hell out of it, and doesn’t blow up in your face if you miss a click.

I got it on my Q8s and GTmicros and would hand those even to The Muggle in a pinch. Got (great) ramping, easy to learn up to 5 clicks, not much chance to hurt yourself otherwise.

So why isn’t anyone armtwisting Simon or Sofirn or whoever, to consider that? Are people so interested in using lightning mode on a headlamp or candle mode on a CW thrower?

I’d miss some of the tweaks like an always-lit switch, but I could get used to it.

Smooth ramping UI in real life is useless IMHO. Human vision is not linear.

Smooth ramping is best. Love being able to access a level that’s otherwise not accessible with preset steps.

Which level? You don’t know? And you don’t know how much power it consumes. You can not predict runtime even.