[Poll] Do you use an acne wash?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I’m just curious if anyone on BLF uses an acne wash…
If you do, which one do you use, and do you like it?

I’m 47 years old, and I’ve had light acne for many years.
For the past month, I’ve been using an acne wash.
I think any medicated acne wash would probably work, but this is the one I use.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Beauty-Blemish-Control-Apricot-Scrub-Acne-Medication-6-oz/24073960
It took a couple of weeks of daily application for the expected results, but I have had almost no acne on my face lately because of this acne wash.
It’s extremely cheap, too.
6 ounces for $2.08
This stuff seems to work extremely well for me.
I wish I would’ve discovered it years ago. :slightly_smiling_face:

No, the last time I used something like that, you were a mere twinkle in your mothers eyes.

1 Thank

Just Ivory soap on the face when I shower.

I don’t really get breakouts unless I touch my face or my pillowcase needs a wash. I think for me the spontaneous breakouts essentially ended in my early 20s. Maybe it was earlier, it’s been a while and I don’t remember for sure.

As a degreaser on flashlight threads lol

I found some at my parent’s house that was 10 years expired and read the ingredients, looked alot like the ingredients on those ‘heavy duty’ ‘fast orange’ type pumice hand soaps that they sell in the automotive section to get engine grease off your hands, but without the pumice. Works really well. Gets oil and silicone grease off your hands better than dish soap.

Kinda makes sense. Whole point is it gets oil off your face better than soap right? Degreaser. But gentler.

Its really good to clean the old lube off flashlight threads. Assuming you can seperate the tube from the electronics so you can run it under water. I put a little on an old toothbrush and scrub it under the tap. It’s not abrasive like fast orange, not super harsh like acetone or brake cleaner, works better than isopropyl. Safe to touch and breathe. In moderation. Probably. Regular soap doesn’t get oil off your skin very well

I had no idea what’s an “acne wash” so had to pop in and find out. I thought maybe something antibiotical or whatnot.

I used to reeeeeally like Aapri (ah-ah-pree). Ground-up apricot pits that was like 99% gravel with maybe 1% being a creamy binder. That smoothed out all the bumps and irregularities and just ground away everything soooo nicely.

Went out of business? Like someone flicked a switch, I couldn’t find it anywhere anymore. Only “apricot” stuff I could later find was like 99% creamy goop with maybe 1% of barely perceptible grit. Garbage.

Now in desperation I just use one of those crumpled-up nylon-net scrum-bums to grind away my skin and get all the dead skin, oils, dried cat-spit, etc., offa me.

For everywhere else, I like those bath-brushes, the ones with the nice stiff bristles that could double as a toilet-brush. Awww, man, grind away with one-a those under a nice scalding hot shower, and you’ll never feel so clean…

The only thing I apply to my face is hemp seed oil after a shower. I do not use soap on my face or body, I just scrub with a wash cloth. I do use a plant based shampoo and conditioner. I don’t wear deodorant or use lotions or fluoridated toothpaste, etc., and I’m on well water which is not chlorinated or flouridated.

A lot of skin issues are caused by poor diet, poor water, and toxic crap applied to the skin.

Toothpaste is weird when you think about it. Like, you’re supposed to put it in your mouth for a couple minutes twice a day but if you swallow it call poison control. Like…wait, what? That doesn’t track.

When I was in Thailand they label fluoride toothpaste like it’s a prescription med. They have regular toothpaste, like Colgate or w/e, but it uses a safer form of fluoride and less of it, and the instructions say like, iirc, “put a small amount on your finger and rub it on your teeth, then brush with that no more than once a week.” and for kids, “don’t use if the kid is getting fluoride from other sources” I think is on there, so water would count.

Meanwhile Xanax is OTC. Toothpaste had more warnings on it than the Xanax. Thought that wasn’t a good sign.

I find fluoride free toothpaste works just as well as any other toothpaste so I use that now. But I don’t feel the same way about soaps and shampoo. They just don’t work as well. They do work, but you need to use 5x as much

Better than nothing though. You should use some soap. What about castille oil?

Scrubbing with a wash cloth is sufficient. I used to use soap in the shower and wear deodorant. Well, it turns out there’s a weird thing about soap. If I use soap on my arm pits for example, I’ll notice they start to smell bad, because I don’t wear deodorant. Without using soap, they don’t smell bad. It’s like the bad bacteria take over because of the soap. So the soap + dry skin + deodorant combo is a far more miserable situation than no soap and no deodorant and skin that isn’t dry. Plus I don’t smell bad. My arm pits actually smell good. Like a subtle smokey wood kind of smell and I only smell it if I put my nose right in my pit. My diet is on point which probably has a lot to do with it. Showering with non chlorinated water might also have something to do with it.

I do use a plant based hand soap that doesn’t dry out my hands too much.

My toothpaste is non toxic, and I use hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash, with a few drops of peppermint oil in it.

There’s a lot of messed up stuff in soap for sure. But there’s a lot of messed up stuff in used motor oil and engine sludge and brake dust and commercial solvents/degreasers, welding fumes, heavy metals dust, pesticides/herbicides/insecticides and all that good stuff that I want to make sure I get off my skin too. Not just about smelling good. For stuff like that the soap without ethyloxated alcohols and sulphates just don’t do the job for me. So it’s the lesser of two evils.

It still isn’t good for your skin tho. Just better than engine sludge is. Actually I think soap is damaging enough that washing it off is actually partly a safety thing. As in, if there was a world where soap worked without water there would be a warning on the bottle telling you wash it off with water anyways. But sometimes necessary.

But you can get soaps that don’t have any of that stuff. Castille oil or w/e. It just won’t get something like PTFE grease off you.

I think using hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash is insane though. That stuff is worse than anything in soap imo

Could make your own T-stoff, though!

Looks like @Lightbringer is unofficially back!
(Or, at least you’ve been posting more frequently than about two weeks ago.)
BLF is more interesting with you here. :+1:

1 Thank

I lost all my subscriptions, so have no idea what threads I was subbed to. Still getting zero email notifications except sporadically, and even after doing what pennzy suggested by going into “settings” and turning everything on, still nothing. Only getting notifications from a small handful of threads that I replied to or something. And even those (like this thread), zero email notifications, just random listed threads at the bottom that show that circled-number (imagine the # of new posts since last looking). [eta: “Suggested Topics”]

So I’m just going through the main page and seeing if anything pops up that I recognise from before.

And even my “markers” are gone. Like when I found the amazon-deals thread, when I clicked on that, I ended up on message #1 from like 2013 or so. Had to go allllllllllllllllll the way to the end, and keep paging-up 'til I saw my last reply, then went forward from there.

So it’s like I’m literally starting out as a new user with a completely blank slate.

1 Thank

Yep, as far as I know, there is no solution for the missing markers other than what you just described.
The transition from Drupal to Discourse is far from perfect.
I do like reading your posts, though, so hopefully you’ll do your best with an imperfect situation. :grin:

Idk what you’re using but on mobile you can just click the total comment count on the bottom right of the screen and scroll up and down that way without having to wait for stuff to load. You can skip past 10,000 comments instantly

Yeah, slowly but surely.

Mostly slowly.

1 Thank

Naw, never ever ever on a phone.

In fact, I just commented today that instead of “browsing” on a phone, I’d rather shave my head with a belt-sander while being showered with lemon-juice and alcohol.

1 Thank

Agreed, great to have you back @Lightbringer. Sorry the transition has been rough for you.

It’s likely you’ll find most of them here:

Hmm that’s weird. The system says it has sent you 6 emails during the past 5 hours from the time of this post. I’ve never had problems with your email provider, but it’s worth checking in the spam folder and/or checking if it’s somehow automatically classifying messages from BLF in a different folder or category apart from your normal Inbox.

Also make sure that you set an active thread to Watching to receive the maximum number of notifications for it, at least temporarily for testing.

Amen.

Those aren’t really related, they are indeed just random suggested topics, with priority given to ones that you’ve previously read that now have new post activity. This forum is actually very good at helping keep track of threads that you have 1) previously read, 2) previously read and/or posted in with new activity, - or - new threads that you haven’t read yet. This is especially useful in the homepage /latest list. Also please see these tips about keeping track of your readed read and unread threads as well as threads that you are subscribed to:

This should help when you click on the search icon within any thread:

Also if you find one of your posts in a thread you can click on your avatar and filter to see your other posts in that thread:

Also please check out these tips regarding scrolling:

After you scroll around in a thread it will remember your position.

Also notice that you can click on the time of the most recent post in a thread and it will take you straight to that last post:

And finally, a legitimately hidden feature when using a desktop browser is to hit the # key while browsing a long thread and it will let you jump to a specific post number.

Personally I prefer just dragging the timeline slider thingy, and the advantage is that it also shows you the date range where you’re skipping to.

Hope this helps! Thanks for your patience.

1 Thank

Yeah, I don’t know how people spend so much time on their phones surfing the web.
I mean, I surf the web a lot, too, but on a real computer (desktop/laptop).
Even though I have a smart phone, I use it almost exclusively as just a phone (and mp3 player.) :man_facepalming:

Looks like the active ingredient is Salicylic Acid 2%, which is know to negatively impact bacteria and fungi, in some parts of the world used to be added into homemade fruit jam and marmelade to prevent molds that would form on top of the jam.

1 Thank

Yep, I’m thinking that any acne wash with 2% Salicylic Acid would work similarly to what I use. :+1: