Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Nice, everybody seems to like an altered logo.

I don’t think we get into trouble if we use a sketch as inspiration of a drawing. It would be a mix from narsil and the fire ring from the original SRK, plus the text. IMHO it’s unique enough.

I doupt the name rights are taken. You had to claim names for a specific product category. The niche electronic, flaslight, codename for a firmware used in the driver for a LiIon driven flashlight is shurly unclaimed

But hence we are using a picture, we should ask John Howe, he made a lot of great Artwork. And I guess the pic of Tom E’s avatar could be from him.

Narsil sketches are from page 3 on and later

Well had to try, how cool would it have been to get a “yes sure go ahead and use it” from the maker of the iconic LOTR Narsil sword for this?

You could be in for trouble if you seek copyright permission and use any sword-like logo if they deny you (which they certainly will). Far better to just use the logo, calling it only “a sword”, then let whoever wants to complain about it become the one who will have to prove in court that it’s theirs if they discover it at all (which they probably won’t). By asking first you acknowledge that you are aware the design is theirs making infringement far easier to prove and prosecute . Change it slightly (the design preferably sent in miniature size so proof becomes harder) and put it on the light. I know enough about copyright law to fill a few paragraphs with the details involved, but I’ll condense that to this: The worst likely to happen here is that some “C&D” letters get sent, and so long as we comply with them afterward that’s the end of it. No big deal. Ask permission and you could be opening up more liabilities than you can imagine, so just pipe down and do it.

Phil

Joechina is actually working on a logo, he is going to email it
And I was hacking away in the logo and made a sword to add to it.

I like the idea of adding a sword very much!

joechina made a cool logo with Tom Es avatar!

I guess I missed something here, but where did this sword-logo business come from? We already had a looong discussion about the logo earlier in this project, including a poll, and there was no sword. Seems like we could be using our time and energy to work on things that haven’t already been discussed and sorta-decided. I do realize this isn’t my project and my opinion doesn’t really matter, but for what its worth I’d much prefer we stick to the earlier designs instead of the sword.

No, my try is now officialy a dagger, Mr. Miller. :wink:

Mail is sent

Well spoken! That’s what I was thinking…finished way back. ptwwtp

No idea what ptwwtp means

1 We are waiting for input from Thorfire about outside design head (the CAD drawings contained lots of errors)

2 we wait for input of TF about internal construction.

3 Tom is programming.

4 Just this morning the specs were send to China via Jack-bkk.

5 Pilotdog68 is making the last changes to the driver design and uploads it to Oshpark when done.

6 If 5 is done the waiting for them to arrive at Tom starts.

7 Tail PCB discussions have not given actual design inputs or new attention so for now we will ask TF what they have in mind when the head, internal structure, led board is clarified. Or submit what we have now.

Ah the led board deserves attentions, will post that later.
It is send to TF but there are other things that need to be finalised so there is room to discus it here.

As with all things, when input comes it is acted upon, so Narsil came up and is acted upon on this Sunday.

Plan the Work Work the Plan. It (sudden logo change) just seems way out of place… kind of like last minute type stuff that changes projects. We have seen this in the past. …potential for disastrous results. No response necessary. Stay on track

Ah I thought I had posted this already and that is did not gain attention. But I probably closed tab/browser/pc before actual posting.
So here goes with a title change to make it clear:

The specs say Copper DTP stars.

But talking and even very early in the project it was mentioned how nice it would be to have a real good copper quad MCPCB.

Jos designed a few.
This was an early design:

(already an adaptation of the first idea)

Then instead of 1 hole to screw the reflector down it became clear we needed two screws, this to avoid possible damage to the LEDs when tightening the refelctor (two screws make rotation impossible)

So Jos made new designs, adapting the reflector in the process so it can accommodate thick wires.
This is send to Thorfire but we have time to make changes since we are still focussing on the head outside and inside construction and it is best to tackle 1 topic at the time to avoid language problems or confusion.

We want to ask Thorfire to sell these parts for modders to upgrade their SRKs.

I probably missed this but … is the reflector planned to be made from metal or plastic?
K.

Kusie you startled me, is it not in the specs?!?
But pfoei, there it is:
Optics
…………… Aluminium reflector ……. same top sizes as the older SRK reflector

Uh oh, sorry for the confusion, should have looked in the OP first :blush:

I don’t get the sword logo either. Put the sword on the driver PCB if you want a reference for people who know what it means. For others, it’ll look ridiculous. As in: what’s a broken sword doing on a flashlight? I much prefer the abstract thorfire logo.

Mod parts available looking very good. This Q8 really does have the potential of being one of the best lights ever built.

We really can drop the sword - thanks for the thoughts but no need. We got more important things to work out anyway.

Yes please the markings are the least important of the whole light, shift attention to the Jos designs of LED board and reflector.

I really like Jos’ DTP board. It would be amazing to have this available as a part. Don’t suppose there is a way to fast-track this?
Thanks TM and gang for great work!

Please put me down for 1.
Thanks