Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

The head screws in and this means the +sides of the cells slide over the driver.
Hence it makes more sense to have the buttons on the cells.
The Palight Boss1 has brass nipples on the driver so it can be done.
However I think no nipples is better in this type of light as is used far more on these type.
A

Hi

Can you put me down for one of these ?

The nipples has little edge and damaging the flat top cells shrink tubing on the side so it’s not safe in the palight boss. I grinded down to a ramp the nipples edges.
But in some Roche M170 versions I saw this contact board part. Why can not we use this one?

You only need to machine down a little of the battery separators fins in the tail and it will can not turn around on batteries.

And don’t forget to put me on the list too :sunglasses:

The BOSS1 is a nasty light for threading together with cells in it. Those bumps makes it feel like something is wrong, plus the driver position must be perfectly aligned in the fully tightened position - could be designed to do so, but the BOSS1 has no fixed position for the driver.

I really like this idea as I do not own any button top batteries.

The M170 adapter ring has been mentioned a few times here (did a thread search). Post #391: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/39069/391. Those adapter things look awful on the German review, plus the warping was mentioned in this M170 review on BLF: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/16216, by Ramblings.

Good idea - probably could be made to fit pretty much any SRK. Sounds like a good add-on, though I would not trust or recommend them - too prone to quality issues, and adds some resistance. Could probably be printed on a 3D printer, then plug in the brass buttons.

From my, very much, simple testing, I strongly suspect the best setup for performance is to solder the tops of flat tops, either the HG2's or 30Q's. It's been proven in the past the button tops applied by 3rd parties (all of them are) add resistance over flat tops - it's reflected in HKJ's reviews. Differences would be slight and can't be noticed, accept in a light box.

For the non-DIYers, still best to go with button tops.

Sorry for not read through but this topic is huuuuge :slight_smile: I have no problem with soldering. I just thought about others who have.

Yep - this thread is huge, but that's why the new feature of "Search Within Thread" is so handy . No, I still think the adapter is a good idea - puts the brass button where it should be, but for whatever reason, the one for the M170 had problems, and the quality would have to be pretty decent - those brass buttons must have smooth edges on top and be relatively thin on the top because they'll be sliding along the track of the driver with each twist of threading on the tube, and the thicker they are, the more resistance, the more pressure and risk of damage to the driver.

The M170 has a heavy duty contact ring for the batteries, and can take more abuse.

When you short them together like that, it is like you are shorting a 2s battery.

Yes, twice the voltage and one might guess twice the internal resistance. I guess maybe what it proves is the wire resistance dominates. That can be looked up.

i just recently found of about this place and would like to say hello to everyone.

Please add me into the list

Thanks

Yeah welcome to BLF
Will update list later

Correct, which is the same thing that would happen if you inserted a battery backwards in the Q8. I set it up exactly as it would be int he Q8, except with a piece of ~20 gauge wire instead of the low resistance contacts.

Please add me to the list for one.

Thanks,
Mike

If I could be added to the list, that would be great!

Thanks

Made an account for this, interested.

Welcome to BLF!
Gonna update the OP now.

I think it would be great if you set some deadline for interest in the OP. You can extend the deadline at any time as many times as you want (peferably a week before it expires though not the day after), but at least then people know.. ok, I have until x date and then I can check back and decide if needed. That probably wasn't a useful strategy early on, but now that the target is met anyway.

Seeing how little profit the first groupbuy run will bring Thorfire I was indeed thinking they would was t to limit it to a certain amount.
Earlier on we even suggested limiting it to less then 500/so they could sell more with a better profit.
They did not respond to this.

Now I am regularly sending how much people are on the list and if it grows to big they can ask for a stop.

From our point of view the more the better, and since TF does not asks for a stop or limiting quantity we keep it rolling as is.

But for you Flintrock it is 24 hours :smiley: you wrote you needed this right :wink:

Oh noes, put me in for a second one then. Can’t risk it! :slight_smile: