Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

A specific test procedure, step by step, would be a good checklist for people to have, if such exists.

Yes the manual has the different settings one can configure
In older Narsil versions what was written did not match, now it should so basically try the different config settings to see if they all do what they are supposed to be doing

The same as Teacher, I thought so too.
Which means it is another good time to thank Miller, Tom and the whole Q8 team for spending a lot of time and effort on this project, for all of us.

What is the exact version being used? Is an older driver (with voltage divider) a valid testing platform?

Giving feels good, doesn’t it? I’m tempted to get more than one Q8 for exactly the same reason… except I’ve already given away so many lights that I don’t really have people left to give something like this to. It’s certainly a good idea though, regardless.

There is a whole science of happiness, and giving (or “prosocial spending”) is one of the things they’ve found to be effective. It’s not the only happiness trick which applies to the Q8 though; another one is “savor anticipation” (but perhaps that one may be wearing thin after so long). And they also recommend we “prefer experiential purchases”, which applies through the experience of using the Q8 and interacting with others who are also interested in it. Don’t just leave it on display; go out and use it and be social about it.

Things like this can be genuinely happy-making, if done right. If anyone is interested in more details, this isn’t a bad place to start.

Exact version is NarsilM 1.0 - dedicated thread here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/45888

This is the current latest, not sure if there will be any tweaks prior to final production.

Edit: Ohhh, sorry - didn't understand why you were asking. Think you got an SRK driver I sent you that had the voltage dividers on them. You can dnld the latest NarsilM to that board - should work fine. Only thing is you won't get the lowest parasitic drain you can get because those voltage dividers will add some drain. If you got an iron, could simply remove the resistors. What I do is put a blob of solder on the iron tip and apply directly to the top of the resistor - either it comes right off attached to the tip, or loosens, in which case you can use tweezers to remove it while the solder is melted.

I've done a bunch of voltage divider removal jobs so far...

I just received 4 Samsung 30Q’s button tops from Fasttech.com. The buttons used are a bit more flat than the ones I received a couple of months a go from Banggood. The increased contact area might be better in a high drain light (too bad I don’t have tools to measure performance).

Any quick tips on how to remove spot welds from cells? Sandpaper? Dremel?

I usually clean off as much as possible with a pair of eletrical wire snips (the real ones, not the ones you find in the tool box) then just solder blob over them.

Do you mean broken spot welds that have sharp edges sticking up? I’d use a dremel on them.

Just a quick note… the smoke grenade pouches also work with a lanyard like the original SRK had. The drain hole at the bottom can be used as an attachment point for a paracord lanyard:

This may also keep the grommet from scratching the light, though I doubt that would happen anyway.

/\\\\\

Nice idea…. :+1:

Hi Miller,

Please add 1 for me, making 4 total.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I like that TK. Do you get them at a military surplus?

LMGTFY: “smoke grenade pouch” surplus - Google Search

I hope someone does some shopping around and price comparisons.
Or maybe there’s also a Red Army surplus version that could be bundled with the flashlights? Just wishing …

Tom linked to a nice eBay deal anf the vendor got active in this thread, it is there (but where in this long thread :wink: ) search in thread sure will get results

In this post, ‘Tom E’ alerted us to some smoke grenade pouches he found from eBay seller (and fellow BLF’er) ‘wrabbitsurplus.’

I’ve bought six so far, and I’m very pleased with them.

Here’s a link to the eBay listing.

You should send a note with your order that you’d prefer the “longer” style pouch. They vary in length from about 4” to 5”.

Thanks goshdogit, saves me the searching :+1:

Walmart even has a assortment of pouches.
I don’t know how well they would fit.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Smoke-Grenade-Pouch-Single/37201943![](https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/20fb166a-e47c-46d9-9883-0183137df017_1.c08036dd3ea300f9e74b88389bab3e6e.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF)

that pouch posted by TK is fantastic IMO.