Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

I like the tripod mount the way it is. There is enough of a flat area to provide good support, but doesn’t detract from the aesthetics too much. If you really need it mounted perfectly, just make a spacer the size of the flat area thick enough the round part wont touch.

The eye for detail many BLFers have helped BLF and now the Q8 to become what it is.

People have been and will be outspoken that is great
Even now that not a lot if any will be changed no one should expect this to stop, I know I haven’t :wink:

For the few people not living in the great donald country (DC), what are these 3 letters words mean?
OCD
QRP
RRS
Maybe you found a better way to fix it fast&save
THX thank you

OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

As far as the other two…… I have no idea. :smiley:

QRP is I assume a quick release _. It’s a small screw on base that clips into a tripod. You screw it on a camera base so you can quickly mount and dismount your camera without fiddling with screws.

RRS?

RRS = ReallyRightStuff, a brand of tripod and photography equipment. Really high end and expensive, $1000 tripods etc.

Oh. I’m a budget guy. :wink:

“Plate”…… quick release “plate”

Me too…. no danger of me having a “RRS”. … :smiley:

The plate is merely an attached plate with a dovetail on the edges. This allows a clamp on the tripod to easily “grab” the dovetailed edges of the plate and with a quick release mechanism the clamp can grab or let go of the device nearly instantly. For photography, it lets the camera be moved from landscape to portrait mode in the fastest way possible without messing up the composition of the shot. This is done via an “L” plate on the camera such that there is a dovetail on the bottom and left side.

Really Right Stuff is one of the best in the business in this line of attachment tools and ball heads, and yes, now including high end carbon fiber tripods and monopods. All made in USA so of course, expensive. Kirk plates are also very well made.

I primarily use Gitzo monopods made in Italy, don’t use a tripod much, too big and awkward and most of what I shoot is on the move. I do like a tripod though for panorama landscape work…

Looks fine as is. A curve at the mount would require a custom fitted plate where the flat needs only a common washer to clear the curve.

Spend 16 hours strait in the studio working with models and what not. You will learn to love the tripod. LOL

I can also say that when it is fast and quick I would rather have camera in hand as well, but there are times when shooting tethered and ….

Yeah yeah, and 16 hours straight on a large venue site having to run freelance for a bride and groom getting ready, ceremony, reception, dance, the monopod is a lifesaver. I don’t do studio work, on location only. :wink:

Dale a slab of copper in the right thickness would not only mean good attachment but also a bit better cooling in absence of blood cooling (when holding it in hand)
:wink:

I’m already on the list for 1 light, but I’d like an additional. Can you update me to 2?

Uea of course, will do!

But of course Miller! I’m already planning a large finned column of copper that will heat sink the light while holding it on the tripod. Metal dovetail base to go in the quick release clamp which is also aluminum. Can you have too much heat sinking?

I think I read somewhere that too much is never enough.

Just seen it now…

Can you put me on the list? :smiley:

Suggested direction for the Q8.

A really superior cooling system ( though awkward to implement) would be milling channels in the copper plate (perhaps thickened) closest to the heat sources. A cover for the channels would be soldered (or otherwise bonded) to the copper, with an optimal network of channels connection to an outside supply nipple and a vent from the end of the channels (to make optimal use of latent heat of vaporization). This would significantly exceed the capabilities of passive heat exchanges. Not to mention the load on a battery powered heat extractor (e.g., fans). Watts need to be moved; battery powered cooling may not be useful.

Then, using flexible tubing and a pressurized tank attached to the Q8 holster (or a backpack), connect to the channels in the Q8 copper. The hole currently considered for the tripod may be able to provide the connection (great dual use if possible with some creative adapters). But it would probably be a bit too far away from the copper. And, unfortunately, the choice and availability of suitable evaporating coolants is more limited today. Whatever fluid is chosen it must have a high latent heat of vaporization, and not destroy our environment.

There could be microprocessor support to control the fluid flow based on the temperature (and/or) the light mode. If there is room in the processor being used for light control, this could reduce costs. Connecting the flow control processor to a small variable valve would control the coolant flow. This could be a fully integrated environment where simply running the Q8 will control (via heat sensors and the microprocessor) the flow of coolant. Thus the user would not have to manage the coolant flow from an external (and dumb) control valve.

You would now have brought the Q8 to an early "ultimate flashlight, until the batteries melted", or the coolant supply is empty. With this integrated phase change cooling, the sky is the limit.

Of course, an alternative approach using a sealed system and radiators somewhere (e.g., the holster or backpack) would lower cost of expendables and be more environmentally acceptable. And require a more extensive backpack or enlarged holster.

Overall, this configuration could also support SETI (although with serious timing issues) and see what is out there. But with enthusiasts hobby groups, we could start the investigation. Sending data streams designed to be understood by alien civilizations. And you could leave notes for your really really remote descendants. However, LASERS would be more appropriate at this point. But the technology can be extended. The guy next door could be the "first contact". He (she) would, unfortunately die long before the second message had a response. But, hey, they would be famous.

There would be some issues with governments trying to suppress these activities; but what the Hell. What do they know?

So late to the party … Can I still be put on the list?