Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Yes I find it perfectly acceptable to post some negative experience with ONE of MINE Kronos anodisation when the subject ano is coming up.
I have no problem with response, I have a major problem with insinuation that I am not being truthful.
Bugsy36 posted Before you make statements like that….post the pic please without that (or a “that’s too bad and not as expected” instead for example) the insinuation would not have been there.
You write “red flag” and I think you want to express something based on your flawed idea I ‘demand no response’ and “expect my (red.) comments to go unchallenged” so do not take this as insinuation of me being not truthful.

It is kind of funny though, I tried to calm drama in your Kronos thread several times and openly and via pm apologised when that failed and only gave supportive posts about the set when I got mine and steered clear of drama as I said in my apologies.
And now I clearly state that after a few days of careful use the ano started to chip off AND that I choose not to add drama in your thread about but accepted it as a flaw in MY ONE X6.
When I made pics for my Darktort review I did not showed the X6 since I did not find it cool to compare the really abused ano of the Darktort that looked still good with the poor X6 looks after careful use, we BLF special teams should support each other or keep silent I think.
And you “sense” I like drama?

A fact is a fact, challenging facts is kind of hard. Even if all other manker/Astrolux/Kronos/BLF special lights have ano that bounces back bullits that would not change the fact that 1 of mine does have flaws here, that simple and not so strange with the sheer numbers there is bound to be some with flaws.

Oh yeah … you “sense”, well dear Kronological, you do not have to sense a lot with me. I am open, speak my mind and explain why I do things.
I can tell you it is very cool to be open about things (and I have found a way to get back on topic, this is the Q8 topic you know :wink: )
Just look at all that energy and cooperation being honest, good willed, and positive have brought to the Q8 project

In has been a feast and still is!
We have had input from the highest skilled people for the driver hardware alone, like (but not limited to of course) DrJones, DEL, Sharpie. Dang Kronological, I can tell you it feels very rewarding to know all these sharp and smart minds have granted us the Q-team with bursts of brain activity (heck one or our contributors designed boards that are currently flying in space onboard satellites. Man, how cool is that)

Tom is creating a new breed of software, based on BLF designs, helped by again the top of the line and all OPEN and open for input from all.

We enjoy all the input BLF gives us and try to incorporate as much as we can and discus and share every step of the way.

And what a way it is! One big party!

So to conclude, please stay on topic. PM me when you have some “sensing” to share, PM me when you really want me to bring my poor ano of my X6 with pics to your Kronos topic.
And while you have found our cool Q8 spot I would be thrilled to hear your lumens on how these things work!
So please share, in true BLF spirit, your experiences and shine all those lumens you must have, shine them around like a bright star, you know you can!
I would be honored and grateful if you and your team do that!

Mr Miller, I have just read the VAST majority of your project here and I have to say I am beyond impressed with everything, just amazing.
Please if you would put me down for one on the list.
This is so well organized, just beautiful and one heck of a group of master minds to boot… Wow this is going to be one heck of a light.

is the group buy still on? are there sample pictures? how bright is it?

Yes this group buy is still on.
Sample pictures are in the OP.
The light will be a lot brighter than I. :wink:

Just got the option #3 for ramping up from OFF, pausing on moon level working. Also:

• double click to max now works with the light ON or OFF - I think that's more consistent than just working from OFF
  • triple click now goes into battery check display - blinks out the voltage level (ex: 3.7v would be 3 blinks, pause, then 7 blinks, then it repeats - a click exits)
  • the ramping level table is now 128 levels, and fully ramps in about 2.1 seconds, but from OFF, you have to add about 0.6 secs to get past the short click delay, and the pause on moon mode now

I played with the pause time, tried it as short as 0.29 secs, and just think it was too quick. I up'ed it twice, and ended up at 0.37 secs. This feels better, in giving you enough time to easily catch it, if you want to stop there at moon. I think it works well. I gotta make another video to show it in action, and will post it.

The triple click can be re-configured, if we want. Could be strobes, or could go to a quad click. Lots of possibilities.

I don't think any of these tweaks have compromised the basic simple operation of ramping - operationally it's still the same:

• from OFF, click to last used level
  • From ON, click for OFF
  • from anywhere, press&hold ramps up, accept if at MAX, then it ramps down
  • from anywhere, double click goes to MAX

The pause at moon mode for ramping from OFF just adds convenience to stop at moon mode easier.

Sounds like a great UI with everything I want in a light. Can’t wait to see this light finished, thanks to all who are working so hard at this.

Excellent work. I’m also very looking forward to this these lights

Fantastic UI. Quick question. If I turned the light off in MAX mode, the next time I turn on the light with single click will be MAX mode correct?
If I’m not too late to add to the party, may I suggest the pause from moonlight to start ramping, be a bit longer.
0.37 seconds might be perfect after watching the video. But for now, I’m not sure how fast or slow that really is.

The point of this longer delay is because my zebra sc62 has a similar ui. And I’m not sure how fast or slow their delay is, but it’s too fast! I often find myself blasting in medium mode more than half the time. I need to always remind myself to be really quick at releasing the switch as soon as moonlight turns on or I’ll go blasting myself on medium again.

At least with your ui, it will be better because of the ramping in slowwww steps right after moonlight. So instead of medium like the zebra light, it will be a low low.

For those that wanted a fast delay because they cannot wait for their light to turn on, or just needed a decent amount of light, remember there’s always that one click from off and should get you your last used mode.

-

I would like to be put on the list ……

:slight_smile:

This UI is sounding great. Thanks for putting so much time in polishing it up and fine tuning all the details. I know alot more thought is going into this UI than alot of production lights and it’ll show.

hahahahahaha and in one joke you not only made me laugh but also kind of proved your brightness is probably a magnitude of the Q8 :smiley:

And yes all important things are in the OP.
Things get discussed in the thread or via email.
decisions, changes, things that could be commented on are edited in the title with a link to the post in the thread where discussion starts about it at the beginning of the OP.

Oh Tom, so nice!
At the first video you were able to stop at moon, so now with the changes this ought to be easier :wink:
How about a blinky option when pressing 3 times? first blinky being cell check, then strobe, sos, beacon?

Please add me to the purchase list, thank you.

Welcome to BLF
COOL another first post dedicated to the Q8, thanks.

Yes, always should be last level it was ON, including the new moon level that was added. The moon mode level that ramping pauses for is not just the lowest level of ramping, it's the configurable moon mode level that can be changed. It's defaulted at PWM of 3 on the 7135, which is the same level ramping starts at, but you could make it 2 (might be 0.1 lumens), or even a 5 - brighter moon, but still lower than low.

Yeah, it was suggested earlier here to go as low as 1/4 second, or at least quicker than a 1/2 second (my original thought on it), but a 1/4 sec is too fast for me. You should see it in the video, true, but I think this will be something we can tweak after getting other opinions/views. I'm also thinking the 128 levels is too short at 2.1 seconds. Might want to bump it up to about 2.5 secs - still quick, but gives you a little better control.

You know, I'm not so sure I was stopping at true moon mode. I just was play'n with the modded M6 (about equal to our target 4X at 4,500 - 5,000 lumens), and it's hard to tell the difference between these very low outputs, unless you see them side by side, or in total darkness. I was attempting to raise the chance of hitting moon by adding a few more PWM level 3's to the table, but that only brought it up to 0.13 secs - probably too quick for my reflexes.

Yes - by pressing 3 times, you mean triple click? Yes - I could do it that way as well (battery check then blinky modes). Actually that would fit rather nicely, because in the configuration UI you can disable blinky modes completely, and if you do, the triple click will only then do the battery check.

VERY very nice!

All I rad is sweet!
Forgot about the configuration for moon.
WOW, 0.1 - 4000+ lumens

Love all the choices users get!

This sounds really good. Put me down for 2 please.

i purchased one of the original srk’s and it was just a wow light. i use it for camping and anytime i need a serious light. i put a set together for a friend (light+charger-+good quality cells) and he loves it for traveling the country in his fifth wheeler. whenever I am out with my camper i run into an rver that is having trouble backing in his rig at night. the wife is out there with a small dim incan that is pathetic. i offer to put some light on the matter and WOW! all are amazed including “where can i buy a light like that?” I just can not wait to go camping with the Q8, this is going to be orders of magnitude better than the old srk and that was orders of magnitude beyond anything out there.

Good job all and thank you for putting this awesome light together.

ken

Hey guys!

I’m newcomer on this forum, but long(er) time reader.

Nice work on Q8, Please put me down for one please.

I also have couple questions about size of that light, I’ve read almost every post on that thread, but can’t remember whether there was info about light’s (outer) diameter around battery tube.

I had an idea if it would be possible to make it accept 3×26650 and/or possible same time accepting 4×18650 as alternative or just 3x with adapters. Since they are all parallel.

I’m not sure if it possible to make it accept same time 4× 18650, but that was just and idea and probably could done with some kind “carrier” or “sleeve” in same tube if it’s included (I know that wasn’t part of your plans, but if you like that, I’m sure there is people with better planning skills :slight_smile: ) Carrier could also provide more flexibility in terms of modding.

Alternatively it could be sold as “spare” tube also with different drilling’s for different cell’s, if only this light could cope with little bit extra on tube.

I don’t myself own yet any 26650, but I think many of user’s here does and I’m also considering to get some as well as light’s that accepts them.

Hence the light is “soda can” I thought it could actually be little bit bulkier. I measured that my beer can’s are ~65mm in diameter and with 3× 26650 it could be around ~60mm (depending on wall thickness) so still smaller.

I did make little sketchup drawing to get you some idea. It should be in scale. Red’s are 18650’s and Green’s are 26650’s. Please note that Red’s are off center in that drawing.

Please give me your thoughts about that idea and feel free to shoot it down!

Best Regards
Phoenix_FIN

Welcome to BLF!
Cool not only first post and pm about the Q8 (thanks) but also with an idea, great!

I will put 3 26650 cells together and see how these sizes up
The tubes of 4 P 18650 lights is pretty clever designed. The cells have their own space so even when not using 4 they stay nice in their place. I show a pic about that too.

Latest Narsil updates in a new video, just posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXgXnsKr2Ps

This is what I posted for it:

June 5th updates in Narsil for the BLF Q8 project. The 3 lights shown have identical firmware showing ramping mode, but the first two (SupFire M2-Z and M6) have a 2.1 sec ramp configured, while the third light (Securitylng 4X clone) has a 2.4 sec ramp configured.

Updates:

• added a 0.37 sec delay in moon mode when ramping from OFF
  • double click now works with the light ON
  • triple click displays battery voltage reading in blinks