Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Another Q8 has found its forever home. :smiley:

finally got mine (rested a week at the customs to be skipped thu at the end)

AI LAIK MAI LAIT !

wellā€¦.,mine made it to the US today. (NY). I am in MN soā€¦.few more days. Ordered Sept 29th.

Shipped Oct 1. Received Oct 18. :THUMBS-UP:

Really pleased with the Q8. So glad they sorted the "Botched 500" Thanks to the TEAM !!.

..and especially to you MILLER..

:HAT: 's off to ya Sir.

Flawless shipping and tracking. FANTASTIC pricing for a light of this caliber.. Nothing to complain about here.

Love that GREEN beacon. !

So far this Q8 seems almost perfect. If thereā€™s one thing I can complain about, itā€™s too much AR coating. I donā€™t know if itā€™s just mine, but it has a pretty noticeable blue halo around the edges, and the hotspot is greenish. I may see if I can replace the lens at some point.

Everything else so far is flawless though.

Edit: I tried taking the lens off, and itā€™s a beautiful thick piece of glass, but the beam looks better without it. If I put the lens on a white sheet of paper, it makes part of the paper greenish. It sounds like this is either a fluke or a second-batch thing. Will get pics later.

I thought the Q8 didnt have AR?

Change list from original OP design ideas:
Removed AR coated lens because of tint shift.

AR coating? Didnā€™t know that was added to 2nd batch.

I thought the yellowish center/bluish edge was characteristic of the emitters (lots of phosphor on the middle of the blue substrate, not much at the edges,
so the blue emission underlying the phosphor leaks more to the side).
No apparent antireflective coating on the two (early version) Q8s I got.

Toykeeper: What?
Fā€¦. yes you are right, the second batch has a different color of reflections on the lamp
batch 1: reflections get no color shift
batch 2: reflection get a color

my 2300K LED bulbs on the ceiling turn slightly violet

But I canā€™t say if it is the lens or the reflector.
The reflector has a raised brim on the outer diameter. If I let a reflection wander from the flat onto that brim it turns from faint purple to dark purple.
Batch 1 nothing.

I think I donā€™t like this at all

Have we an issue?
What batch has Maukka. He could measure 1 & 2

I just go my first one today! This this is so well built and feels great in the hand!

Great work team!

So, I have a questionā€¦ I have my set up to do all the strobe modes. I can always get the first one, sometimes stumble into the othersā€¦ What is the key to moving thru the blink choices?

I also see the blue/purple in the spill of the beamā€¦ was a little surprised by this after the run 1 reviews.

The light is very clean inside and out, good solder jobs and no messed up screw heads. The button is a very uniform green as well. Does it change colors as the battery goes down? I have it turned on as a battery indicator.

Basically I turned everything on for testing.

I thought the tint shift in the Q8 is pretty typical for XP-L and SMO combination. Less purple spill than on my Thorfire TK15S which uses an XP-L2. Only really an issue for white wall hunters.

For me, it is much easier to work thru blinky modes backwards.

When in ramping mode

Start by rapidly
2x click-turbo
2x click-#1 strobe
Click, click, click, click
Equals #5 blinky

So double, double, single, single, single, single

Then to walk back thru blinkies, just requires a single medium long press for each mode, without time constraints.

#5, 4, 3, 2, 1

To go direct to bike strobe, for example = double, double #1, single #2,single #3

I tested my second lamp from batch 2 only on function and didnā€™t run them side by side with my first from batch 1. I have only one set of 30Qs.

I wonder what lens DB custom has, he said he gained only 3 percent when he changed it.

:slight_smile:
An unreleased version of the cheat sheet has this as a hint.
And NarsilM v1.2 should you save the last 4 clicks. You should be able to go backwards in circles. So from strobe #1, #5, #4, #3, #2, #1, #5 ā€¦

I tried the UCLp and only gained about 41 lumens. So the AR coating on the thick glass lens Thorfire sourced is a good one. :wink:

And a report to make. I had some issues with the re-flowed XP-L2ā€™s. The one pad to the right of the switch, as itā€™s held pointing away, the emitter was dimming and then went out. I replaced 2 of the XP-L2 with an XP-L W2 and within minutes the same location failed. I pulled the XP-L W2 and put it on a 16mm Noctigon and it worked fine, so I suspected the big copper MCPCP itself in the Q8. And it was indeed the problemā€¦ the thermal pad is recessed. So if you are re-flowing new emitters onto this large thick copper DTP board, be sure you use proper amounts of solder to bridge the recess in the thermal pad. This is nothing new, Noctigon and SinkPAD have gone through this as well, just wanted to note it to save somebody the trouble of finding the issue.

I now have all 4 XP-L2 V6 1Cā€™s back on board and I suspect my Sony cells are complaining, Iā€™m only seeing 8,970 lumens instead of the 10,212 I saw yesterday. When you push the mule hard the mule balks. :wink:

Edit: May as well report the rest of it. TKā€™s firmware with the lightning display, Anduril, is not ready for this light. It exhibited ramping issues, not responding to a reverse action or actually getting stuck in a mode level and not responding at all. I re-flashed Narsil and itā€™s working fine. I am quite sure TK is busy getting her own Q8 set up as she wants, lightning and party strobe and who knows what, so weā€™ll see what she comes up with for this great light probably sooner rather than later. :wink:

It doesnā€™t wrap around on my 1st batch Q8

After reading this I compared my 1st batch lights with the 2nd batch one and the 2nd batch light indeed has a AR coating unlike the 1st batch ones.

I greatly appreciate the ā€œhow to clickā€ guidance for navigating the UI.

I recall most piano playing is done by spinal reflexes (fingers are moving too fast for signals to travel all the way up the spine to the brain and back).
I believe the same is true for these multiclick UIs ā€” do the sequence often enough and the fingers learn the pattern.

Yes,
the produced Q8 run with NarsilM v1.0
I meant the next version of NarsilM will have this, sorry if if this was unclear.
You have to reflash the chip on the driver.

Ok, thanks it was clear enough, I just overlooked different version #.