Skilhunt H03 short battery tube lighweight mod

Ah, I was asking about the previous user who bought a Armytek Tiara C1 headband. My post somehow dropped its reply. It’s only $3, but shipping is $9. It looks easier to use than the stock headband. I’ll keep an eye out for those headbands, though. But I likely won’t do the shorty mod.

This is my first post so hello to you all : )

Shortly speaking: H03 + red XPE-E2 + Narsil driver + optional shorty mod. Is this possible to make?

Swapping the emitter for a Cree Red XP-E2 on 16mm MTN MCPCB will be no problem, however the led can take no more than 2.2A so I have no idea what 21mm driver to choose. The Narsil UI seems perfect but what about the maximum of 2.2A?

Narsil driver with no FET and just 5-6 AMCs

Great to hear! I guess I’ll order one from you then. And maybe another one for a XHP50.2 3000K CRI95 project to compete with Zebralight and Armytrek.

Yeah just under restocking 21mm thin boards specific for H03 after I got 6 sold within a week

Possible to mod to operation without MOSFET, just rewiring the Indicator output pin on the MCU using 2 channel configuration

OK, I’m interested in knowing what can be done to reduce H03 weight.
I’d like to compete with those plastic Petzls as close as possible on weight while still using 18700 cell on longer trips (18350 on shorter is OK).
I want to get down to the 1g of what is possible with my skills. Which means that if I can score a couple of 0.x g savings that’s still nice. I might even do smaller ones if doing stuff that way basically costs me no extra money or extra work.
I did some categorization….which is my estimation really, might be wrong.

1. Large savings > 10g
  • shorty tube
  • 2-strap headband

2. Small savings > 1g

• is there a lighter 3-strap headband that’s worth recommending?
  • replace the top strap with a narrower one
  • shorten the straps to whatever is needed
  • remove magnet
  • replace MCPCB with aluminium one, trimmed down. Would it be wrong to make it much smaller, like 10 mm?
  • remove the Stainless Steel parts (front and side switch bezels and screws) and glue optics and switch boot.
  • (H03F only) remove the flip diffuser lens lid and file off the hinge and use TIR optic.
  • remove cooling fins
  • custom battery tube + tailcap
  • make the tube thinner

3. Tiny savings > 0.1g

• maybe something can be done to springs?
  • machine (lathe) the battery tube to remove knurling (and de-anodize everything (except maybe the tail cap threads) to match the resulting bare aluminium batt. tube)
  • shorten threaded sections of top battery tube and head by 2 or 3mm (and use unprotected 18650).
  • file 1 mm off the head top
  • drill some holes in the fins

4. Marginal savings <= 0.1g

• use as thin and short leads as feasible (how thin would that be? Stock?)
  • use teflon wires
  • aluminium screws?

Any comments / suggestions?

Remove the Stainless Steel parts (front and side switch bezels and screws) and glue optics and switch boot.
Or if you have a H03F: remove the flip diffuser lens lid and file off the hinge and use TIR optic.
Machine (lathe) the battery tube to remove knurdling. (and de-anodize everything (except maybe the tail cap threads) to match the resulting bare aluminium batt. tube)
Shorten threaded sections of top battery tube and head by 2 or 3mm (and use unprotected 18650).
Ugly but effective: Remove cooling fins.
I have an original Skilhunt aluminium XM-L LED board i can send you.
Or get a Virence board with 4x Nichia E21.

Also some kind of short tube mod . Unprotected only= –5mm in length.
(Boost 2.5A 6V 4*e21 2000K inside)

That looks quite nice!
What light is that battery tube from?

It is new made for H03 by friend. bezel is also his work.

BTW another way to make it lighter

Okay, no tail cap, like the older H01 :+1:

Thanks, I added your suggestions.
I have some alu MCPCBs from Led4Power, they would be adequate with LH351D. :slight_smile:

Another thought, maybe wrong: de-anodize head-side threads and shorten the ones on battery tube. This would maintain the light’s length (and 18700 compatibility - which is critical because I want to use Folomov battery-powerbanks) but save some material…

Would a custom headstrap that has no rubber and holds the light with velcro and weigh less?

Nice mod from Pigi:

I ordered my A6 / S1 shorty tube. It arrived yesterday and….it’s the wrong one. :confused:

I got other lightening thoughts though:

• the front of the head is quite square. Looks like there’s some material that could be removed to the sides of the bezel
  • removal of fins is a big deal, but ugly. However drilling a couple of holes shouldn’t hurt much. :wink:

My first generation of Skiilhunt H03 is equipped with Skiilhunt DS10, perfect……

Why not just get a shorter lighter light?

H03 is:

• very light for 18650 light
  • high quality
  • easy to mod
  • reasonably priced

A shorty H03 is lightweight for 18350 and has all the other qualities of H03.
I believe there is just no shorter, lighter headlamp that would compete in this niche.

Olight H1 is also an interesting option considering the size and quality of light.