Sofirn SP10 Pro (AA/14500/Andúril 2) - now available!

Well yea, but whether it would charge different chemistries wasn’t the point. I was just saying it’s not impossible for a AA/14500 light to have built in charging.

Although it seems it should be possible to also charge nimh.There are those small magnetic auto sensing chargers like the one olight makes, I wonder if that tech could be built into a light so nimh charging would be possible.

Space constraints aside, I would imagine the charging circuit could be designed so that it doesn’t activate unless it has at least 2.0 volts or something. Easy. Drained NiMH would be on their own for recharging, but primaries and alkalines would be safe. Smart chargers can’t totally protect from this but they can certainly work with voltage readings and apply varying levels of current…generally if a lithium-ion is drained to the point that most of us would consider retiring it, the “rescue” function on chargers applies a very low current and creeps up into NiMH levels, then if it surpasses that ceiling it will increase the current a couple of times as it starts to believe that there is a lithium cell in there with higher voltage capability. Reducing that circuitry to fit in a tiny light seems like a challenge if you want to charge both chemistries. But that still leaves you with idgits that will try to charge the unrechargeables…

Alright you firefly fiends (looking at you, jon_slider)… What if the SP10 Pro by default started on Step 3 (0.3 lumens on NiMH) but there was a super-low Step 1 (PWM 2/64 ~= 0.01 lm) and a very-low Step 2 (PWM 12/64 ~= 0.06 lm) that you could enable through the ramp config menu?

Here’s a stock SP10S on the 0.3 lumen Eco mode (left) next to a SP10 Pro with the hidden firefly (~0.01 lm) enabled (right). Both on NiMH. How’s that work for you guys? Is that too low? :wink:

Too low? Is that a thing? :innocent:

Dynamic range is king. Thanks Gchart

Thats what Im talking about! :+1: :beer: :crown:

similar idea:
RRT-01 on left, HDS at 0.8 lumens on right:

Interested in this light. Just learned about it and have been wanting a side switch 14500 w/Anduril.

Yeah I’m up for this, I’ve been complaining that the switch backlight and to some extent the aux leds on my d4v2 on low standby are too bright.

Added: I don’t think this needs an internal charger, since it would make the light bigger. Multi-fuel internal AA charger is a bad idea because someone will use it on an alkaleak cell. I’m not even keen on the whole concept of 14500’s since I feel likely to use one in a 1.5 volt light by accident. If I get this light I’ll likely run it primarily on eneloops and consumables.

If it is up to me I’d also remove the built-in charger from the SC21 to make the light smaller.

I hope the Anduril version of the SC21 uses a driver similar to this one! Without the 1.5 volt support of course.

Thanks gchart. This will work great.

Haha, I have just bought my second sc21 because that light checks out on so many levels for me. EDC sized, usb charged. Might have to upgrade to an andruil if it arrives, but cutting the built in charging… No! :smiley:

Here ya go :wink:

Still have to take the battery out of the flashlight then, wouldn’t I? :wink:

Yea and that’s a major feat. I mean, unscrewing something with your fingers and all. It’s super difficult, just like opening a bottle of water.

An AA/14500 light with anduril is such a tremendous step foward that letting something like no built in charging ruin it for you is pretty silly.

On a side note, do you have a Skilhunt M150? You’d probably like it.

I took a look, but it didn’t do it for me. If the sc21 can do it, this one can! :slight_smile:

Oh neat, I had looked for those on some other battery sites and didn’t see any. I do know they have them in the 16340 format, which was part of why I suggested leaving the internal charger out of the SC22. I figure these days, a 16340 light should be as small as possible, or else you may as well use an 18350 or even an 18650. My D4v2 with 18350 is smaller than some CR123A lights from the old days.

Looks like Sofirn just released a SP10 V3.0 but it’s not Anduril AFAIK. Seems to have a different body to the SP10S but the same one as the picture pinned on this thread. So does this mean the SP10 Pro Anduril will have the same body as this?

Guess they ignored the clip feedback.

Whew! :laughing:

OMG, what is that clip doing there?

5+3 modes??

That’s not what was discussed here :(

C’mon folks, don’t be like this!
That is not the product that will be released with Anduril, it is just another product from Sofirn!

Is it named SP10Pro? NO! So it is not the target product of this thread. :weary: :person_facepalming:

LOOOOL

You totally right!

Ahahahahaha