Sofirn SP70 Alone $50, PM for AMZ US CODE(LIMITED)

Another note:
Why is the reflector so thick at the front? Lots of weight at the far end and I fail to see why is it useful.

Wow this light’s got more constructive technical input and discussion than any other light I’ve seen. Jason thanks for all your hard work on this and glad Sofirn is listening. Can’t wait to see the final product. Will surely be amazing.

Also the thought of a future version having 3x 70.2 emitters that throw much farther than the MT09R makes me drool. Maybe TA can come up with a driver for this that can squeeze 18k lumens with 1,000+ m throw :smiley:

Yes… THIS!

Just scaled up to S70 size.

I’ve never seen that pic. I actually like it!! :+1:

It is a must to be able to secure the material safe in CNC lathe jaws when machining the bottom outer line of the reflector.

The new Sofirn C8F gets 1800lm as top of the ramp and 3000lm as Turbo

So they have already a firmware

Speaking of which, we should definitely model the fin design/idea around the C8F’s side switch for the SP70.

Interesting, thanks.

Yes, this is the first I’m hearing of it on the C8F. (BTW, Turbo should be 3500 lm).

I don’t know if they will want to implement that on the SP70 or not. I kind of don’t want it, unless I can adjust it myself, because it means you can no longer set the brightness where you want. I might want 4000 lumen and can’t access it because the ramp only goes up to 3000. See what I mean?

I don’t really want that on the C8F either.

With Anduril you can set your own top of the ramp. At least on the GT and GT mini the ramp is still pretty high, like 80%. That’s not a big deal on those lights.

How do you know you cant ramp down from turbo? That would get you what you want

I find there is very little use for the ramp over 50-60. With a proper ramp setup this takes less then a second for you to ramp from 50 to 100% and it is rare you would even stop in this range. If you did it would hardly be noticeably different then 50% or 100% (the difference from 50% to 100% is not nearly as much as you would think due to how our eyes work, it only appears maybe 40-50% brighter)

I have not heard of anyone with the MT09R’s complain about the 50% ramp, in fact most of them said they really like it and understand it once they see it themselves.

That said, it is more effective on more powerful lights but even on my “smaller” lights I still find I prefer it because they generally can not handle Turbo for very long and it is easier to be able to ramp it all the way up and know I am getting about the best combo of runtime and output without having to play with it. Turbo is only a double click away if I need more light.

Anduril is a good idea as well of course that way people can set it up after the fact.

I don’t see how it would work. You can’t do it in Narsil.

I guess I like to be in control of the brightness level. That’s why I use ramping instead of discreet steps. I tell it what to do, not the other way around. Lol

I considered having Lexel program a NarsilM driver for me using a limited top of ramp, but I decided against it. What if it was set too high or too low? I would be bothered and would want it reflashed. So I’m okay with having the full ramp. I know how to go turbo, then ramp down just the right amount. As the voltage drops I ramp down less.

Anyway, I did not suggest a limited ramp to Sofirn, so if they do that, it would be an unpleasant surprise for me.

I’m sure everyone has their own preferences.

I hope they will stick with this:

I could be mistaken but i’m pretty sure the lights I have flashed with Anduril allow you to ramp down from Turbo with a ceiling on the ramp still.

Assuming this is the case it’s actually really nice because it’s really hard to distinguish between the middle ramping areas by sight alone, as TA implies. This way you know the top of your ramp is a fixed percent (which you could never reliably replicate manually) and you can go down from turbo to get to “something less than turbo” or up from 0 to get from 0 to ramp ceiling.

Okay, while we are waiting to hear back if they can implement ideas 7, 8, 9 and 10, I figured I could show the drawing they sent yesterday implementing ideas 1, 2, 4 and 5. You can see the shelf is now 8mm thick, the threads have more contact area (from 6 threads to 10 threads) and theres more material around the mcpcb and around the fins by the bezel. It is all a very nice improvement. There’s more upgrades to come. :smiley:

Here is the older drawing to compare to:

Looks great!

Good improvements!
It would be nice if they could add 2 fins on the tapered piece

That is idea #9, remember?

Latest ideas Aug 16:

If they are not able to add the fins at #9, then that extra, extra material is just adding weight. It can be slimmed back a little.

Thanks JasonWW so far so good my Shockli 5500 are waiting this light.