Sofirn SP70 Alone $50, PM for AMZ US CODE(LIMITED)

I could be mistaken but i’m pretty sure the lights I have flashed with Anduril allow you to ramp down from Turbo with a ceiling on the ramp still.

Assuming this is the case it’s actually really nice because it’s really hard to distinguish between the middle ramping areas by sight alone, as TA implies. This way you know the top of your ramp is a fixed percent (which you could never reliably replicate manually) and you can go down from turbo to get to “something less than turbo” or up from 0 to get from 0 to ramp ceiling.

Okay, while we are waiting to hear back if they can implement ideas 7, 8, 9 and 10, I figured I could show the drawing they sent yesterday implementing ideas 1, 2, 4 and 5. You can see the shelf is now 8mm thick, the threads have more contact area (from 6 threads to 10 threads) and theres more material around the mcpcb and around the fins by the bezel. It is all a very nice improvement. There’s more upgrades to come. :smiley:

Here is the older drawing to compare to:

Looks great!

Good improvements!
It would be nice if they could add 2 fins on the tapered piece

That is idea #9, remember?

Latest ideas Aug 16:

If they are not able to add the fins at #9, then that extra, extra material is just adding weight. It can be slimmed back a little.

Thanks JasonWW so far so good my Shockli 5500 are waiting this light.

What about this? (top part modified)

Remade the front area, changed the o-ring from axial to radial. That way the reflector can be a bit bigger within the same head diameter.
Repositioned the shoulder strap mount, the biggest problem with this is that it isn’t centered on the switch anymore. But the advantage is that you now have some nice fins at the place where it matters.
Together with some of the improvements already posted.

I really think they need to rework the bezel area like I did. You can have a bigger reflector within the same head. And that matters.
If they don’t want to change the shoulder strap mount then they need the cut some fins that don’t go around. Can they do that??

(unfortunately for some reason the modified picture saved as .jpg instead if .png. So I cant modify it further with the same quality. I would have to start over…)

What about your change number 7? Where did the switch go?
And number 10? Where is the shoulder strap mount?
I think I’ve missed some posts….

Jason, they mentioned in post number #644 they couldn’t do number 6.
But you propose the same idea as number 7 in your next post?
The way I understand Sofirn is that they can’t machine a grove that doesn’t go completely around. (they probably make the groves on a lathe)
So both number 6 and 7 (and 10?) is not possible.??
Can you let them confirm if they can machine groves that doens’t go around?

Good idea Kawiboy! That would make it easier! :+1:

You could get rid of the fixed anchor point on the head for the lanyard/shoulder strap all together, and go with a slip ring for an attachment point like the Olight SR90?

Look at those fins… :heart_eyes:

I like that design kawiboy, if only they could offer bezels without crenelation, why do so may light have them?
Helpful to see whether they’re on ok, but cant we make it classy?

I like the full finned lights. I put a XHP70 and FETDD driver in mine, one heck of a light by design. :+1:

I don’t want to suggest anything that requires a major redesign. I’m trying to just tweak what they currently have. They would like to get started on making a prototype.

The switch is on the front or back side. Pretend I rotated the light 90°

Assuming Sofirn can do this mod, they would have to come up with a new strap idea. Perhaps they could drill a hole through the lower fin to attach a metal ring? I’m not sure. Is a sling even needed?

6 and 7 are completely different. I think their issue with 6 was that they couldn’t cut grooves on a 45° slope like that. I’m not sure, but that’s what I understood. The ideas of 7 and 10 are cutting grooves into a 90° angle surface. Maybe they can do this? I have not heard back yet.

On #7, they are already cutting these grooves only on the side of the switch, I was preposing they extend them all the way around the back side of the switch, 270°. So they can definitely cut grooves that don’t go all the way around.

I assume the head is cut on a 5 axis CNC machine then the threads are cut on a lathe? It may be difficult/impossible to plunge cut an end mill bit into a 45° surface, but a 90° should be fine. (I’ve tried this by hand and it usually pulls the bit really hard to one side) Who knows how they do it, I’m just guessing.

I think 7 and 8 are very likely to be possible. I think 9 and 10 are less likely. Tracy passes along my pictures and descriptions to the engineers and it’s up to them to decide what their machines can and can’t do.

They are gone for the weekend. So maybe we will hear something on Monday.

I’ll show them this lanyard strap idea.

No offense, but the SR90 is a pretty ugly light. It may be too much function, not enough form/beauty. :stuck_out_tongue:

It seems you got some light there KB!

We need the strap it comes in handy it what seperates the men from the boys lol. Picture this carrying 2 fishing rods a chair and a tackle box and net and we never take two trips lol.

I like the design changes, if they plan a 3x LED version they will need to make the head out of 1 solid piece and then it will be a reasonably good thermal path. The weak link at this point are those threads. They shoulf be tolerable on the 1x LED version (although far from ideal) but the 3x version will need the better thermals.

Lets see what they can do. If most of the proposed changes are made it will definitely be better than it was.

Oops, obvious… I should have caught that…
You have a S70? Those fins at the side of the switch are awesome!

They dont necessarily need to come up with a different strap idea, they can still incorporate the same strap idea with that new design. They just need to make the fins not going all the way around.

Cutting a groove on an angled slope shouldn’t be a problem as that is easily done on a cnc machine.
Pretty sure that most of the head will be machined on a cnc lathe, you’ll want to do most of the work in a single run. So the head will be shaped from the inside and outside and the grooves will be cut all in one run. Then they will probably go to a multi axis cnc mill to make the shoulder strap hole, switch holes and the other features.
If they have a 5 axis cnc machines than it would be a completely different story, they can machine whatever design we give them.
I’ve seen multiple videos from the factory a previous blf project was made, and those machines where just simple cnc lathes. No 5 axis cnc machines.

Beauty is in the eye of ……Ugly? :open_mouth: No way Jason :smiley: The thing is a beast, the machining on the inside, Olight perfection. You would have to take one apart to really appreciate the whole picture. No sharp angles, high end fillets/radius’s with smooth as glass machining, massive sinking. The engineering/ design was for heat dissipation, 5,000-6000lm, No Problem. Yeah (the battery tube is a little Gawdy, maybe a bit UGLY, I’ll give you that :person_facepalming: ) I can fix that, but I would change the battery tube to a carrier system, add some full diamond tipped, cardigan tearing, flesh ripping Full Knurling. :smiley:

Sofrin make something like this I’ll get rid of a bunch of them for you! :+1:

And if anybody has a really MINT (not hacked) stock SR90 I’ll buy it! You send me pic’s, I’ll send the bread! :wink: :+1:

THAT sounds like how you make a well designed head with a good thermal path. I would also love a light like that.

Now we need to see a cutaway view of the SR90.

Now this was done right!
As you said KB, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”…… and this is beautiful!!

Looks like a perfect example of……
…….Form > Following > Function…. done correctly. :+1: