Supbeam X60 Battery-carrier Improved

i received the new battery carrier today, too bad i don’t know how to test it for you guys.

the new battery carrier looks similar to the original one except it is now labeled as Acebeam, if there’s something you guys want me to do/test please feel free to suggest, i’ll try my best to do it.

i’m guessing do several run tests and check the cell individual voltages with a DMM periodically, ( after 10 minutes run, 30 mins run, 1 hour run, etc. ) then do charges with cells in the carrier in the light using the light built-in charger port and after charged check the individual voltages again with a DMM to see if the new carriers keep the cell voltages close to linear with each other during the drain and charge tests.

You have to get at least 3 pcs new, never been charged or discharged cells ( implies: same capacity, same brand, same mоdel, same batch), then you should charge them with quality charger like Opus BT-C3100, after charging leave them resting for several hours, after that you should test voltage and pair 3 pcs with identical voltage, if there is difference of 0.01V you should not use that cell for the test.
When you have 3 cells with identical voltage (up to second decimal place) them insert them in the flashlight and use them until they are at about 20-40% of their capacity, basically drain them. before you start charging them again, write down voltages of individual cells, put them back in the flashlight and use built in charger for charging, when light signals that they are fully charged measure individual voltages again, write them down. You have to repeat this discharge-measure-charge-measure process at least 3 times (preferably 5 or more times).
Only then you will be truly able to comment results…
PITA job if you ask me…

Nope you don’t need to waste time fully discharging it’s pointless for a recharge functionality check of the light/carrier.

A partial discharge is sufficient then recharge only ONCE in the light to know if it’s operating correctly.

maybe you could try to do it the way i did?

To get conclusive and usable data every test MUST be carried several times (regardless what type of the test it is), 2 is bare minimum. Point in multiple discharge-charge cycles is to use cumulative effect and try to achieve “significant” consistent difference. If you charge cells only once and then measure difference of 0.01V that will tell you absolutely nothing, it could be your multimeter or it could be to the cell or to the battery carrier, one cell could have slightly lower IR, charge faster, charging could be terminated several minutes earlier, voltage could sag for 0.01V (or whatever V).

Also I forgot to mention, during test cycling individual cells should not be moved (they should alway be charged by the same IC) after completion of several circles in this setup cells should be shuffled so that different IC would charge cells and test should be repeated several times, this will rule out and differences in cells them self.
Optimal number of tests should be 9 (3 discharge-charge cycles x 3 charging ICs - so that each cell would be charged 3 times by each IC).
This is related to X40 battery carrier of course, I do not have X60…

In some cases this is applicable but not this one. The problem will manifest immediately providing all necessary test criteria are met.

Not sure what your obsession is with testing things in multiples of 3? Is that a magic number or something :quest:

I don’t deal in magic.

I prefer expedience and science.

but I have a suspicion the issue wasnt charging alone, but also discharging during use left cells unbalanced too.

Not sure how you came up with the obsession thing but it’s pretty easy to understand why would you repeat test 3 x 3 times:
Battery carrier holds 3 cells (again, I am talking about X40 since I don’t have X60) and has 3 charging IC-s (Integrated Circuits).
You also have 2 variables that can affect results, properties of IC-s that we are trying to assess here and properties of cells.
You following me?
If you charge 1 cell via 1 charging IC only once you will have the result but you won’t be able to know what influenced that result. You have to repeat test at least one more time to check for consistency, if you get the same result that is great but if not you have to repeat the test.
Since battery carrier holds 3 cells, uses 3 charging circuits you want to charge each cell with each IC this way, if the same result is following one particular cell you will know that the result is cell dependent otherwise, if particular IC archives same results regardless which cell is charged that means that the result is IC dependant and this is what you want, you also want for this results to be repeatable and that’s why is recommended that the test results are repeatable.

You can ofcourse charge 3 cells and write down those results but they can’t be used as serious arguments.

The carrier has circuits in it. I would do a drain test on the carrier also.
Have it sit “out” of the flashlight with three balanced and equally charged cells, with matched voltages at the start time, then check the voltage of each cell a week later ( or even a month later) to make sure there the parasitic drain is equal. Though the Charging voltage cut-off is more critical and more important.

Received mine today…

I got an email saying it’s been sent and this:

“It will be shown the tracking information after a few days.
Note: Accuracy of battery voltage between cells will be in the range of 0.5 to 1%.”

Mine will probably arrive in 3 to 4 days.

I’ll be cool with a variance of up to 2%, or 4.116V to 4.284V, assuming all my cells terminate at 4.2V, which they seldom do…usually they settle at 4.16v. 4.17v

(is my math correct? haha), a very small voltage difference to worry about.

+1

But unfortunately, AceBeam did not mention whether they shipped the 2 replacement Battery-Carriers for my 2 lights, or just 1, OR?

Still no email after a month |(

Anyone else chuckle at the name printed on the battery carrier in that picture;
X Series-POS

:slight_smile:

I got my updated X60 carrier Friday, won’t have a chance to test until next week end? Thanks Bella!

LOL! Maybe it means Perfectly On Spec?

If I ever get my POS I’ll let you know.