Supfire L1 from FarFarLED

Sorry for the delay on this, I have been busier then expected lately. This is just a brief review of the Supfire L1.

I ordered a Supfire L1 from FarFarLED and had it shipped via DHL. It arrived at more door step in the US in only 4 days! I am extremely satisfied with the service FarFarLED had provided. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from them in the future.

My overal opinion on this light is it is built nicely but I have to say I like my m6 a little better. The handle is a nice feature as the m6 can become very toasty in your hand. It uses the same driver as the m6 except it has a bridge added for 2 more LED circuits.

The m6 and L1 battery tubes are interchangeable. The L1 is slightly bigger and heavier. Each LED has an individual reflector unlike the m6 having the reflectors molded into one piece.

As for hotspot comparison the m6 is much tighter and does better at further distances. The L1 is more of a flooder.

I did some playing around with resistors and these are my results

Batteries - 4 x 18650 Efest 25A Purple

Stock (R180, R180, R056)

LED 1 - H=1.42A M=0.76A L=0.20A
LED 2 - H=1.38A M=0.74A L=0.19A
LED 3 - H=1.40A M=0.75A L=0.20A
LED 4 - H=1.46A M=0.78A L=0.20A
LED 5 - H=1.44A M=0.77A L=0.20A

Added R180 (3x R180, R056)

LED 1 - H=1.68A M=0.90A L=0.23A

Bridged resistors

LED 1 - H=4.82A M=2.62A L=0.77A
LED 2 - H=4.91A M=3.02A L=1.39A
LED 3 - H=4.99A M=3.10A L=1.39A
LED 4 - H=4.75A M=2.74A L=1.14A
LED 5 - H=4.60A M=2.76A L=1.20A
Remeasure LED 1 to see if there was any change since batteries were no longer fully charged.
LED 1 - H=4.80A M=2.60A L=0.79A

Now here are some pictures

thanks for the review… I’ve been eyeing this light for awhile now, I was wondering if the driver is as easy to mod as M6… … :smiley:
does it have the same mode as M6? H-M-L strobe-sos?

nice review!

What’s under that big honkin tail cap?

It has the same modes as the m6 so (Hi,Med,Low,Strobe,SOS)

There in no tail cap, the battery tube is all one piece.

Thanks for the review, great pictures.

You sure the tail cap doesn’t screw on? I read the M6 tail is a screw on, but is glued.

I’ll take a look tomorrow it might be I didn’t know that about the m6

Looks like your 100% right there was no glue at all it unscrewed easily!

Missed this thread.

Thanks for the review.

Is pill/ head design similar to M6? (no pill. "Unihead design" where the body and aluminium under the mcpcb is one part.)

How much mass is under the mcpcb?

RMM can tell you how much mass is in the LED table as he just full modded one for me. It should be back to me today or tomorrow. He reported that final output in his sphere is 7300 Lumens running with Sony high current batteries and it has been fitted with the 7 output levels user interface with levels from way under 1 Lumen moonlight mode to the maximum output listed above. The same UI and mods as on his full house M6 modded lights but applied to 5 LEDs rather than three so he must have liked what he found inside. He did say that it was a PITA getting the 5 LEDs and reflectors all aligned satisfactorily during reassembly. Update included XM-L2 LEDs on Noctigons for better heat transfer.

The biggest thing I do NOT like about the light is the handle as it is too short so is uncomfortable in the hand and is positioned too far back so that the light feels way too front heavy when the handle is used. I will be redoing it.

Thanks for info richwouldnt. One day you should do a full comparison thread between all your soupcan lights and "fatties with a handle". :p Seems like you are starting to get a nicely sized collection of such lights. The handle, reflector design, and price is the main reason I wont be buying the light in OP. At one point I plan on rebuilding a light that is similar to a yupard 5 XM-L light into a nice 5 emitter fatty.

The main issue with many of the lights with a handle is either that they are front heavy, or the handle is not that comfortable.

On a sidenote. Here is a review of a Letterfire LF838. Its not really a great light, but since you are into many lights in that size you might want to check it out. You can also see it side by side with some other lights with a handle.

The handles on the BS Terminator and the Solarstorm SP03 are pretty good but the switch position in relation to the handle on the new Terminator T70 is too long a reach. The L1 is the worst of the lot IMO. I have the new clamp on Nitecore Tiny Monsters handle on order and based on listed clamp dimensions I expect that it will fit a lot of other soupcan lights too, those with battery tubes in the 49 to 50mm diameter range which include the M6 and L1 as well as the SRK and clones.

As the handle has the open end towards the front of the light and the clamp can apparently be positioned any where along the length of the battery holder the whole setup should be quite adjustable to give good balance when the light is being held. No more front heavy poorly balanced lights. Based on pictures the whole handle assembly with clamp can also be rotated on the light to give the best positioning between the handle and light operating switch for easy thumb switch operation it looks like.