The Bort thread 🔦

Thats amazingly awesome!

2 Thanks

Thanks man, im glad you like it !

2 Thanks

I want to place that as my profile pic but i can’t figure out how. So i assumed it can’t be done. But then i coincidentally saw @raccoon has a profile pic.
How did you do it RC?

Also @ToyKeeper how did you get the “Please ask questions in a public thread if possible…” into your profile, i can’t find that option either.
Though i assume it was copied from the old BLF as i recall it was the same there.

1 Thank

Go to Preferences, click on Profile, and click on the image symbol for Profile Header.
You might want to change the dimensions to 1090x300 pixels or 2180x600 pixels and save it as a webp file for maximum image quality (and the right aspect ratio.)

As to your second question, on Profile, put any text you want into “About me”.

1 Thank

Thanks, i put it as user card background and that kinda worked (didn’t scale right) and then put it as profile header but that didn’t work at all (or maybe you can see it but i can’t)?
Maybe profile header can’t take animated gifs?

Check out this thread for more details…

And, yes, I don’t think you can use an animated gif for any of your three pics.

It’s just free-form text in the profile field where people can write about themselves.

Cue rant from TARTARA in 3, 2, 1… :clapper:

3 Thanks

So, Bort, we had a couple of miscommunications…
When you said “profile pic” I thought you meant Profile Header because I don’t currently have a User Card Background.
Also, when you said you wanted to place an image as your profile pic, I thought you meant one of the other (static) images above (because I wasn’t paying complete attention.) :+1:

1 Thank

Ah, i will try a still after i get some lunch.

Cool.
Not sure what i am going to say yet but since i know its an option something will come to me.
But i will be careful of the error messages this time :wink:

1 Thank

Now my head hurts.
I meant the city image you have on your profile.

Okay, then when you said user card background above, you actually meant profile header, and when you said profile header above, you actually meant user card background. :+1:

The user card background actually works as an animated gif, on my end anyways.

Something like that :smiley:

1 Thank

Okay, I guess I’m wrong about animated gifs.
You just can’t have an animated gif for your avatar.
For both your User Card Background and your Profile Header, you’ll need your animated gif to be a certain aspect ratio as explained in the thread I linked to earlier.
Also, it’s difficult to find a User Card Background that works well for both light and dark themes, so I keep my User Card Background blank.

1 Thank

I’ll play with the aspect ratio another time when i figure out how, if @TARTARA wants to have a go at it that would be great.
Is my current user card background animated on yoru end?

1 Thank

Yes, but the aspect ratio is wrong, so it’s tough to see the animation.
When I say change the aspect ratio, I’m talking about adding blank space to either the left or right side, or both sides until you have the correct aspect ratio.
(I have no idea how to do that with an animated gif.)

1 Thank

Some resizing and cropping might work but i don’t have the software for it.

1 Thank

If you crop the image, you lose image data, which is why it could be better to add blank space to get the right ratio.
I know how to do it with static images, but not with animated gifs. :wink:

I do a lot of image cropping with photos i take, windows can handle it with the picture viewer.

FWIW, here’s how it looks when I click your name. It’s a little hard to read.

I might be able to apply a darkening filter somehow, on the dark theme, and a lightening filter on the light theme, but last time I tried, it was tricky. The image background and darkening filter (translucent black background) occupy the same style slot, so it generally picks one or the other, not both.

I could also just override the background so images wouldn’t be used at all, but that takes away people’s ability to customize their card. Would rather not do that.

However, it is generally just really difficult to make images work well as the background for both light and dark text.

Maybe I could add a text outline and drop shadow to all text in the user card. Then it would at least be readable regardless of what’s behind it. It’ll probably require a whole bunch of css rules for that though.

Anyway, I’ll see if I can come up with … something.

2 Thanks