The LEP Flashlights discussion thread - discuss LEPs here

It is an aliexpress module, supposed to be 840ml but I don’t think so there is not enough current. it trips but not completely above 3.5amp then comes back on when the current drops. W30s do the same so I think there might be some sort of over current protection in the laser itself. I haven’t been able to completely destroy a module yet even a W30 at 10amp didn’t smoke. It will sustain output for a split second then drops. This module could easily have another laser to pump the phosphor if it can withstand the laser energy.

Amutorch makes the BT55, a zoomable LEP. I picked one up from Neal’s Gadgets, and its quite amazing. The zoomed out beam is not uniform, there is a bright rainbow around the outside and the middle of the beam is dimmer and blueish. Still, it has its uses, and to me makes the light more flexible. The zoomed in is pure white, seems to go forever. The manufacturing and finish are top notch. Also reasonably priced. Keep an eye on Neal’s, they go in and out of stock fast.

It seems that it is hard to get any usable zoom from LEP. Look this video of mentioned BT55: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxnV0FWVi7M

Doughnut hole is present when zoomed out. So massive loss of candela happens out of that 1.5mcd laser. I would like to play with mechanism and improve that if possible.

Edit:
To investigate little further it seem it has classic zooming function with rotation of flashlight head while Laser LEP module is fixed in neck section and looks something like that round Yinding LED from Aliexpress.
This is the module in BT55: WBJ29 123 (recorded through lens of mentioned youtube video):

I am pretty sure that I could improve that nasty hole with right combination of precoolimator lens. Maybe I would loose some candela in zoomed in mode but I would significantly improve zoomed out mode and that nasty doughnut hole.

So we need mentioned LEP WBJ29 123 module. If someone finds please post here.

Is there any budget friendly LEP flashlights around?

I’m very interested in these but anything I’ve seen so far is above my price range.

Lumintop Thor3 is quite budget friendly and able to get 1.5Mcd. I have to use binocular to appreciate what LEP can do.
I recently got one Thor3, now I plan to get another 2 to make a 3-LEP 1000lumens 4+Mcd flashlights toy.
Might end up with a Convoy L8 in the middle, 3 LEP surrounding it, so total would be 5000 lumens 4+Mcd flashlights toy.

1 Thank

Hi guys, as you are after the ultimate LEP light’s, I just thought I’d chime in and mention a light I did a little review on. It’s called a WLL-X30 that has a 30watt module, it’s sold in Oz on eBay out of Victoria from a company called LimeLight.
After I did the first measurements, I bought a better meter (one they recommended) and got 7,290,000cd measured @ 30 meters.
My Acebeam W30 got 1,566,000cd @ 30 meters. Review

For the record, I was only given $100 off the price of the X30 - that’s all :person_facepalming: and had to send the others back, not much for dicking around for a week or more. I did buy the X75 earlier, thinking it would cream the W30, but it didn’t. I tried to explain to the seller that most manufactures lie to get sales (mostly out of china) he thought I was being racist. I offered to review the X-30, so he eventually asked if I could review all. after he trusted me, he finally believed what I meant after watching this and agreed. shakehead

Anyone knows what is the standard lifespan of lep module compare to led having standard 50k hour lifespan?

I have read approximately 10,000 hours.

Thanks. That’s quite good performance.

Modified w30 running at 3.5amp compared to stock light. I put 10amp on a module and it didn’t kill it???

Awesome grin! have you measured the lux?

I will get some measurements tonight. These modules are hard to kill the laser has some sort of thermal protection.

Maybe you could offer a mod upgrade to us W30 owners?? if we say please :0)

Not sure that is a good idea they get hot and the output drops very quickly. The sense resistor has been changed it is an easy mod. The lens not so easy, when I get my lathe back up and running I will build a lens that screws into the bezel.

Watching………….

Grin,
Which one is modified from the photo?
I would choose the right neutral green tinted one for sure over angry blue left.

Right combination of precoolimator lens could help a lot in doubling lumen output while still remaining in acceptable lux intensity.

The blue comes from the lens depending on how it is focused can change the colour. There are 3 lens including the w30 secondary.
This is so I can get the dimensions for a lens before I build a light.

2.8Mcd after the light had heated up. At 1min reading was 4.3Mcd. The runtime until the indicator LED turns red is 20min.

I could see the hotspot from a modified W30 at 5100m last night, that is at least 6.5Mcd!!! Diode swap next.

I just ordered the Astrolux wp3, from Banggood. I cannot wait to receive and try it out. Being away from the hobby for a couple of years, I just recently discovered this whole LEP craze. Just like Britney Spears, I must confess, I’m hooked.

I know I’ll have little to no use for an LEP flashlight, but then again, can most of us truly say, we have real world use for any of our high power lights? Is a hobby, and the expense is part of it. I still like a deal just like anyone, but I’m trying to be realistic. Just like my RC hobby. That hobby, is crazy expensive, compared to the high power market of flashlights.

Stupid question, what does LEP stand for? I’m assuming is light emitting phosphorus?