Upgraded Thorfire s70s

yeah not real throwers, just a massive amount of light that also reaches far.
We have a castle with its central tower at exactly 820 metersfrom first floor terras, with a monocular looking at it in the dark I can see the light of the S70 get there, the L6 not. but in real life use, like checking the grounds or big island they preform the same to my eyes.

Ahhh
Thanks Jason!
Seems there is a huge difference in the marketing….one being more honest thatn the other apparently.
My L6 is fantastic, but won’t reach out more than 150 - 200m

So the claim that the S70s will reach out 680m+ is nonsense I suppose

What I can say is obviously based on my observations & testing on my own stock S70.
My original stock S70 measures about 3800 lumens on my home built light tube which is in line with other members results so I think the out put figure of 3800 lumen is pretty accurate.
On turbo it gets warm, running turbo multiple times one after another it gets warm but not what I would class as hot.
I seem to remember that DB Custom (I think) reported that with 5000 lumens it got hotter & quicker (obviously) but not to the point that you can”t hold it before step down kicks in.
I genuinely do believe that although a very similar output to the L6 the S70 handles the heat better.

hmm, distance claim called non sense?
repeating cooling thing like the L6 cools better?
feeling a bit ignored here people, addressed this both with actual measurements.

Thanks!
I was just about to buy the S70s thinking it was a thrower. Good price tho.
This forum sure is helpful : - )

There is a big difference between usable distance and ansi fl1 distance. Usable is usually about 1/3 the ansi fl1 since they measure distance out until the light drops to moonlight level (something like that). So if a light is rated to 600 meters then it will probable be usable (still fairly bright) out to 200 meters. That’s my personal opinion.

As I have said earlier, either in this thread or the thrower thread I can”t remember now, the S70 or L6 are not throwers.
They do however light up a good distance due to the massive lumen output.
Bear in mind that in my experience, yours may be different, that thrower ratings are pretty subjective as a thrower may be rated at say 1000m but when in real use although some light reaches 1000m it is not enough to actually make out in any detail what is actually 1000m away.
I tend to half throw distances at least to get a more usable distance figure.
I have not measured accurately the “throw” of an S70 (I am not in to throw) but I can certainly make things out a long way off with it.
If I want to see things at extreme distance I will use a different light.
I have also seen the pictures on this site of The Miller lighting up the tower at 820m with his S70 :slight_smile:
At the end of the day if you want a “thrower” then get a thrower :wink:
This is not an argument about which is better the L6 or S70, they are both very very bright, well made lights but this deal price on the S70s is exceptional for what you get for your money :+1:
If this deal had not been brought to my attention I would probably have got an L6 but $37 for the S70s was to good to pass up :slight_smile:

Thanks Jason. Your answers are great!

I think that that has been answered by several of us in the posts above :wink:

Thanks. :slight_smile:
Learning curve can be a bit hard to navigate for the slow ones (me)

Yes. Very well. They were posted while I was still typing. Deleted that one.
Thanks for all the great answers. Really helped.

I wanted to add:

The L6 has a surprisingly tight hotspot, but the large diameter of the emitter creates a large corona or coma around the hot spot which makes the hotspot seem quite large.

I’m assuming the S70 has a very similar reflector geometry.

All your high end throwers use tiny emitters like xhp35 for a tightly focused beam.

If you want a thrower, look at lux. That is the brightness of the hotspot. I think the stock L6 is about 75k lux. With a smooth reflector, added resistor, shaving dome and careful adjustment of reflector height you can double the Lux to 164k. Adventure Sport Flashlights did this in a youtube video. I’ve got a smooth reflector on the way so I can try this myself. If more light from the corona can be dumped into the hotspot then lux goes up and the distance increases.

It’s never gonna compete with an Acebeam K70 with 450k lux, but it should be “nicer” in my opinion.

Then I might get a S70s so I can also have a “fat hotspot” light. One of each I say! Lol

Crap, I may as well order a S70s right now. Lol. You guys got me!

I’m not converting from Convoy, but a good light is a good light. :slight_smile:

lol.
For $40 is hard to go wrong right?
I would probably, but I’ve been playing the catch up game with lights AND batteries and spent enough dough on this hobby last month to pay the rent.

don’t want to break you guys heart.

i have tested both stock lights L6 and S70S and they are both similar throw output.

I also mod L6 and S70S and L6 is a clear winner in terms of construction and throw perfomance.

will have beam shots post tomorrow and some results i took

Simon probably claims 200 for reasons explained above about differences between getting some photons somewhere or so much it is lighting up good for actual use.
I can tell that both light up things 200 meters away in such a manner one can see what is illuminated :wink:

What lumen output is the S70s please ?
Oh & you won”t break my heart as I know that the L6 is a very good & well built light it is just that this S70s deal for $37 is to good to miss :wink:

Not sure how to measure the total lumen as I don’t have a light box but i can measure the lux for u tomorrow.

OK thanks :+1:
I just wanted to know if the S70s was 4000 lumens as claimed in which case it is probably the same as the original S70 just with a couple of extra modes & longer turbo, or if it was different & possibly under rated as the S70 was.
Even if it is 4000 lumens it is still a hell of a deal & wont disappoint me for the price :+1:

The S70 is a copy or clone of the Jax X6 Hunter, with an e-switch and less thermal mass, I owned several of the Hunters and still do, owned one S70 and when I got it it dropped like a rock, and even after I stoned the nipple off it still dropped like a rock, tested several times on my light meter, it got warm not hot like the two Hunters I modded with the XHP70. I potted the driver cavity filled the extra holes and then and only then did it compete with the Jax X6 Hunter. Here we go with the pictures of the S70 hopefully the New Improved version has less mass missing? Hopefully they only have 2 holes for leads and 2 for screws?