Vapcell S4 plus v3

Use the mode button and select Cap test.
Run it and check the results.

Yes, that’s what’s happening atm.
I meant which values on the display are meant to be the capacity?

mAh… on completion.

Ah - now upon completed it makes sense!
They’re between 1700-1800mAh.
It’s that what’s to be expected after repair for some quite old cells? Should have tested capacity before to see the difference!

And just inserted the next batch, where one shows an error. As it was working in its appliance, I’m wondering if there’s a way to get it to charge or if it has ceased to be?

Thank you for your help familiarizing with this charger!

Seems reasonable for older Eneloops.

I don’t use the S4 plus much for NiMh. What does the error say?
Usually I see this when the internal resistance gets too high. I have tried a few things to fix this, but none have worked. I typically just recycle that kind of cell.

Thanks!

The error message is really just ‘Err’, so no idea what’s that supposed to be about :person_shrugging:

Probably high IR (Internal Resistance). Some of my chargers (C9000 Maha) actually says “HIGH” on them.
Best to just get rid of them. Even if you can figure out how charge them (like in a dumb trickle charge type of charger) , the amount of current that they can deliver will be very limited.

1 Thank

Ok, this gets funny.
For the next batch of eneloops to put to repair, I did a cap test first to know the initial capacity, then repair for 15hrs, then another cap test.
The result: thes now have LESS capacity than before, like 30-40 mAh on average.
That’s…not exactly what I was expecting.
Anyone else has experienced that?

I have a similar case with liitokala 500 when test some older batteries but after I have discharged them a few times with higher current in flashlight, capacity was better then before.

30-40mAh on average could be seen as measurement tolerance (don´t know if this is the correct wording)

No worries, I get you.
Kk, I thought so, too.
Yet - that also means that the repair did nothing to those older eneloops.
How’s that? That was one of the main purchase reasons I have to admit…

Not sure how good this mode works in general.

I have old Eneloop AA which have around 1300-1400mAh, but it´s more than 10 years old and the cells aged a lot.

It could be that cells which were long time not charged or over-discharged could be restored to a better capacity but worn cells will stay worn cells.

With long time not charged and especially for over-discharged cells I have to use a low current and some charge/discharge cycles for charging because my default current-settings (500mA for AAA, 1A for AA) will increase the cell voltage very fast and so the charger stopps with “full”-message after very short time. Sometimes the very fast increase of cell-voltage confuses Combo-chargers and it shows LiIon instead of NiMH.

I think this is likely, the accuracy of the capacity testing function isn’t laboratory grade, 35mAh out of 1750mAh is 2%…

I’ve found some cells have a slight improvement, most don’t change much, it’s not a magic way to breathe more life into old cells,despite what marketing wants us to believe!

Perhaps, years ago, when NiCd cells were common, a refresh cycle may have been useful.

If you’re interested in new cells, I believe the IKEA Ladda cells are still available and good.

NiMH don´t have the classic memory-effect but the lazy battery effect.

A refresh could be good if the cells are on undervoltage or were stored a long time ago.

I agree

Yes, I can recommend it also.

But 1750mAh are still good for older Eneloops

The cheapest option which is on stock might be this:

Anyone have a source for these chargers from a US-based vendor?

Make yourself at home, pdeethardt!

1 Thank

Illumn has the V3 in stock last I checked.

1 Thank

Much better