What one light for Mom?

Cell phones do not use the same kind of LiIon as 18650 flashlights.
Many 18650 flashlights lack overdischarge protection, and many flashlight batteries are UNprotected

I would not give mom a flashlight with an UNprotected LiIon, unless the light itself had built in OverDischarge protection. The battery I recommended does have OverDischarge Protection built in.

Some flashlights wont even fit a Protected 18650, they only work with UNprotected. Zebralight is an example of a light that only accepts UNprotected cells. Fortunately Zebralighs do have Built IN OverDischarge protection. A Zebra wont work with a protected 18650, and a Zebra wont charge an 18650, you will need a separate charger. None of this is MOM friendly.

What causes LiIon 18650 cells to go BOOM! is OverDischarging, they then overheat during charging and can burn the house down unless an intelligent operator is supervising the process. Mom is not that intelligent, or she might be sleeping while the 18650 is charging (bad operator behavior).

I agree that giving mom an 18650 light verges on irresponsible gifting, there are a lot of details that need to be verified first.

For example, the MecArmy PT18 uses a PROTECTED 18650, that is included with the light. The light itself has a USB charging port. That means that during charging, the light is not useable.

Soooo
pick a light that accepts PROTECTED 18650, unless the light has built in OverDischarge PROTECTION. If you buy a light that does not have built in charging, then buy a Protected battery that has built in charging, so you dont have to rely on MOM to operate a LiIon Charger. And so Mom can use the light with a spare battery, while the other one is charging OUTSIDE the light.

Cell phones are very similar to 18650s.

I would be willing to put money on most failures of 18650s are not over discharging them, and is short circuits or trying to drive them too hard (pull 20a on a cell only good for 5).

Many name brand lights have LVC (low voltage cutoff), and will keep the cell from being over discharged. Many protected cells also offer LVC, and over current protection.

I would have no problem giving any adult in my family an Olight with magnetic charger.

I have the old version of it, and despite it is not “bad”, it is not necessarily good! The new version had the UI improved, but not much.
A “mom” deserves better than this light :wink: Both in interface and reliability!!

BTW: If you decide for 16340 flashlight, I would say that the Wuben TO10R is better (I am not even entering the Olight S1R Baton…), even if it is heavier. It brings a protected 16340, has tail magnet, has USB charging. If you want one, contact member the !

Jon, flashlights, even the cheap ultrafire are not known to explode. The Galaxy Note 7 were cell phones that exploded.

They are very similar.

Neat little light . Could you please describe the color choices better . This is not a Jaxman , right? Close spelling.

It has been discussed here: Clone of On The Road M3 ~$13

From page 3 onwards it is discussed the light with the new UI (Low > Medium > High + “Stepless dimming” + Strobe). Before that, the old UI (Low > High > Strobe + “Stepless dimming”).

Please note that the “ramping” is nothing like the one from the Emisars!!

Thanks. I will read the thread. Only $13 . Figured it couldn’t be too good but what the hey.I like compact lights.

It is not actually bad, specially after the change of UI. Now it can be used without need to pass the strobe, so that was an improvement!
But do not expect a high quality cell (it is a blue generic 16340 one, unprotected), and a superb light!
The tint is neutral to warm, with XPL-HD Led.

I looked on FT but no luck. Could you post the link? Danke!

Just curious, how old are you, do you remember gas being piped into homes with a live flame pilot light?
Electricity with life threateningly high voltage, 120/240V?
My Mom lived through those perilous times by paying attention to the rules of use.
So should yours.

Here ya go…

https://www.fasttech.com/product/4594500

Go crazy…

Ummm, I still do.

Youse live on the USS Star Track or something?

For $1.10, I could go cray, cray 2X! Thx.

Was I that obtuse?

I gave my mum Niteye TF25 that takes one 18650 since 2013 and change the battery for her every 6 months or so. I visit her every weekend, so it is not a problem. I have many USB rechargeable lights now, but I don’t gift it to her because I still think charging those loose battery cells are not necessarily safe for old folks.

I think for parents, they don’t need very bright flashlight. Flashlight without any parasitic battery drain is even better since they seldom switch it on.

And gift them a beautiful flashlight actually makes them happy for a few moment but they will put it aside until they need it though :person_facepalming:

Niteye TF25

I still have a gas stove. The light goes out every day. I tried to clean it but it still does it. I would rather replace it but my father wants to keep it.

We even have an old TV that is probably from the 1970s.

Yeh, get 10, 20, stick ’em on all your lights.

Clips and “tactical rings” come off before the battery even goes in. At least these are actually useful.

So, to be truly deep carry, you'd need to put the Convoy clip on the last notch of the UT20 tail cap. I had the clip sent via UltraExpress! I don't think you bought one (?) but the Nitenumen C8 OEM clip is very similar but has a more stable tube clasp. Plus a smooth nub on the inside of the pocket clip that doesn't tear my pocket but keeps the light put. I just transferred it to my TK15, the light that I've been using lately in & around the house (my UT20 belongs to my ready bag).

I put it around the notch nearest the threads, and it’s fine. The weight of the light pulls it down sufficiently to keep it buried in my pocket.

I gave my parents, my wife and my bro a Lumintop Tool AA for EDC. Can use an AA and get ~150lumens or use a good 10440 and get ~500lumens. Fantastic light for EDC for non-flashaholics.