Which quad SFT40 1x21700 flashlights (that are easy to order) are the best bang for your buck?

I want something with a head diameter of about 40-50mm.
The warmer the tint, the better. :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT:
1x26650 will also work if it’ll accept a 21700 cell.

Looks like Convoy doesn’t have one. :thinking:

1 Thank

Parametrek is useful for this kind of thing. The only quad sft40 with 1x 21700 I could see was the acebeam p18:

If you were willing to swap emitters I imagine there would be much more choice, I know a 5050 PCB exists for the D4SV2 for example

1 Thank

I’m waiting for my Q8 pro and SP36 to be delivered along with SFT-40s from Wurkkos site and I’m going to make some Quads out of it :innocent:

The swap is pretty easy especially in Q8. SP36 requires poping out the glued driver which may go wrong :japanese_ogre:

1 Thank

Thanks for the tip!
You’re right, Parametrek only lists the Acebeam P18.
Looks like I’ll go without because the Acebeam P18 is $120 or more. :money_mouth_face:

Here’s another option (mentioned in a different thread), though it won’t work with a 21700.

I’m going to do this with my sp36 when my 3000k sft40s come in. Maybe do a 3000/6500k tint mix

I should start testing solvents out now lol

1 Thank

This is pretty much twice of what you’re looking for, but same price as the other lights mentioned:
Amutorch DM80

(Edit: seems like it’s more expensive now)

My most prized quad SFT40 light is currently a Mateminco MT04 that I swapped Lume1 driver from a Firefly E12r into and used D4sV2 MCPCB/AUX board/TIR optics from… It was neither a cheap nor easy build, but a grail light.

The Starfish Z4/Z7 can be ordered with SFT40 stock from Taobao. Downside is Anduril 1, no flashing pad, and FET+1 driver. Upside is USB-C charging, orange-peel reflector. I order these with Superbuy as agent and it usually goes pretty smoothly.

Mateminco MT04 is SST40/XHP70 and can be flashed with the right UsbASP setup to Anduril 2. The reflector is glossy and creates fairly disgusting ringing artifacts with SFT40 s, though. I have actually taken Anduril 2 driver from the Mateminco and swapped it into the Starfish to work around this problem, which actually swaps easily. :slight_smile: Unfortunately, D4sV2 MCPCB and TIR do not fit into this reflector cavity without a lot of risky, unhappy Dremel time, so before you try that… :frowning:

There is the JKK80 and JKK76, the latter of which can be ordered with SFT40 stock. Fairly horrible UI though. I have modded 4x SFT40 into the JKK80 and the beam is serviceable with OP reflector, but standard petals from a quad reflector, and fairly bulky light. Modded Sofirn Q8 would probably look similar, I imagine.

Amutorch DM80 similar to JKK76 with hold to off UI but now with proprietary battery pack on newer version that sucks.

The D4sV2 optics so far come out ahead of any quad reflector setup I have tried. So there is that. Much prettier beam with no petal artifacts or ringing. So I would say D4sV2 still the best option… Only thing I miss is charging. I went to extreme modding lengths to get that charging back, but if you can live without just get the D4sV2. It’s worth it.

Starfish Z7 is honorable mention because 7 SFT40 s off a single 21700 is just a fun lumen monster, but D4sV2 still wins on pretty much all other measures.

2 Thanks

Wow, Taobao is a mess!
I created an account, which was not easy, and then they want my identification number/social security number (or something like that), and a photo of my face!
I doubt I would do that for an American website, but there’s no way I’m doing that for a Chinese shopping site, and all I wanted to do was look up the Starfish Z4. :smile:
Plus on top of that, I hear that shipping fees are crazy high for Taobao. :money_mouth_face:

Thank you for your comparison and clear conclusion!

I have been waiting for Hank to release a 21700 tube for the D4sV2. I recently asked and he said there is no timeline for it currently.

Using the 26800 tube with lots of spacers to run a 21700 seems a little cumbersome in practice.
The 26650 tube seems to be just 2mm too short for unprotected 21700 cells. Has anyone found a good setup to use 21700s in the D4sV2?

1 Thank

I own the XHP50.3 HD version of the light
It’s kinda generic but fun, especially since you have so many LED options to pick from

1 Thank

Are you hard limited to the SFT40? I have a few of the S21D lights from convoy with the 519s in them. I really like them.
Plenty of CCT choices and multiple TIR options. Good beam profiles. Great little lights.

I think I have seen people change to SFT40s in them, but I don’t think you are looking for something that needs to be modified. Also unless I am misinterpreting, you seem to be looking for a light with reflectors ???
Looking for more throw then?

1 Thank

Honestly, I didn’t realize how expensive a nice 1x21700 quad SFT40 flashlight is.
So, I’ll just stick to my current EDC, which is the XHP70.3 HI Convoy M21F. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Thank

Just use an agent like Superbuy. It skips all the creepy Taobao stuff and it lets you choose whatever shipping you want, pay with PayPal, etc.

2 Thanks

Nealsgadgets has a really solid 26800 to 21700 adapter that came with my Nighwatch Super Valkyrie. I think he might sell it individually on his Taobao store, but I don’t see it for sale on his normal site…

1 Thank

Okay, I might just do that. :slightly_smiling_face:
Does the Starfish Z4 work with a 21700 cell?
(I couldn’t figure that out.) :thinking:

They sell it in two configurations, a 21700 tube, and a 26650 tube that can take a 26800 extension ring (sold separately on same page).

2 Thanks

Well, I was going to order this Z4…

…but, on Taobao, the seller has sold zero of these, and they claim that the flashlight weighs 1 gram.
I’m guessing it’s a fake listing, especially considering how inexpensive it is.
It’s impossible to determine international shipping (which of course costs extra) when the seller claims it weighs 1 gram.

In the future, I might order something through Superbuy, but this flashlight is too expensive for my taste (from more reliable sellers on Taobao.) :grin:

That’s not the official Starfish store. You want this one.

1 Thank

Thanks!
I placed the order.
Here’s the item page:

It came to $29.82 after a $1.50 off coupon.
I still have to pay for international shipping, but I expect that to be less than $15, maybe even less than $10
Whatever the total price will be, this looks like a pretty good bargain. :grin:

1 Thank