WildTrail WT90 - SBT90.2 1800m+ throw 90mm 3x 21700 With Texas_Ace driver

Off topic comparison!

I have a OSTS TN31mb

Certified at 800L/ 470Kcd with XPG2 S2 bin.

Impressive.Almost 8 years old. :+1:

Yeah, LED tech has kinda peaked at this point, from here on I don’t expect any large gains, mostly just quality improvements and better tint etc.

Pretty sure OSTS didn't do any amp boosting on those TN31mb's either - he did some amaz'n work. He (saabluster) used to post here - he might have been the one that talked about the reflector variations.

Sorry for pulling this off topic. The TN31 is the biggest thrower I have and similar in reflector size to the K1 (65mm and 62mm respectively). I used to ‘only’ see 345kcd from an XML2 dedomed running ~9A. Now I have a PM1 @ 7.0A hitting 575kcd. The OSTS numbers sound believable, but I can’t believe an XML2 ever cracked into the 500s with this size reflector.

And I would be shocked if the tn42 v2 handled heat better than the WT90, and Narsil. There’s too many reasons to buy the WT90, And I was about to buy the tn42 v2, then I saw this GB drop. Haven’t looked back, I don’t see a compelling reason to spend an extra $50 on the tn42 when it’s on sale. Batteries included, sure, but I’ll use my 40t or molicel anyway

Hhmm, maybe I'm not remembering clearly, but:

Here 495 kcd at 6.5 amps

Here's a couple in the list, close to 500 kcd. I just recall rdrfronty, or ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS seeing/testing over 500 kcd for a TN31vn and I was frustrated I couldn't match that. I think rdrfronty re-tested against mine and found he initially tested high and dropped it lower in his lists and postings.

We talk'n some classic BLF modding history here...

Those modded TN31's got pretty hot even at relatively low amps - there were like no fins and very thin around the hot zone by the LED.

OK - think I thought the high mark was 600 kcd, and most of us were in the 500's, but I was off by a 100 kcd: 500 kcd was the high mark, and 400's was typical.

300's? Not sure but could be an issue with the LED, dedoming process, basic light like the reflector, etc. or maybe over amped. I modded one that I found kapton tape on the bottom of the MCPCB! Factory mistake, leaving a heat barrier in one of the most critical spots of all - mine wasn't the only one reported like that.

Yes. I look back to these early days and really get nostalgic. Maybe its the green grass kinda thing, but I miss the days when most of us didn’t feel like we knew all that much and everything was a new discovery and collaborative. Everything got modded and craftsmanship was all around us. The same happens now I guess but it all just feels so business-y these days.

Last thought on my OSTS TN31mb XPG2 S2 or S3…cant remember.

The only.negative is the pencil beam.Works well in fog and on water looking for buoys.

This version Never gets hot.Been using the same NCR18650A batteries for 7 plus years! It does not get used as much. The batteries are amazing.Never below 4.15V even after resting a month.

Measured at 470Kcd.Personally I think it is more.I shed light on a tower from 1 mile.May not be ANSI…Still impressive.

If WT90 came out 2 years ago I certainly would have gotten it.I paid way TOO much for TN42vn 90.Originally it was $600 about 18 months later dropped down to $400. :person_facepalming:

So I owned a OSTS TN31mb. Didn’t keep it long, the low amount of lumens, along with the pencil beam didn’t make it a very versatile light.

Before my modding days, Tom did a TN31 for me. With the XML2 it did somewhere around 450kcd. Later, I went back through it and added a fully dedomed SST40 (one of the few successful complete dedomes I’ve done). That got me to around 497 kcd, and 2000 lumens.

These days, I’m willing to give up some throw for more lumens. This WT90 seems to provide the best of both worlds!

TA I’ll commit to a black model please, and sorry about the thread de-rail.

lol, no worries off-topic conversations can be interesting if nothing else is going on at the time.

I’m itching for this light. I know we got over a week at least, but I just needed to say it. I’m ready. Lol

I already ordered 3 40t batteries

I saw Djozz ordered these

Are these any good?

They are very good and only $6.99 in USA.

Haha me too! Got them in two days ago, they are ready to go!

Yes, they’re very good! If you can find them, buy them if your getting this light!

Those p42 were out of stock at illumn…

I already have an order being filled there, so I added those 3 40t

Yea that’s the problem, with 40t prices rising more and more, people are finding out how good p42a’s are, and their price are good, so they’re selling out every where. I didn’t know illumn had 40t in stock, may grab a couple :+1:

This is the reason All major brands are selling out.

If you.noticed IMR battery,18650 battery, Liionwholesale and others ALL are low on batteries.

He told me this on March 30,2021.

The owner…Jon of Liionwholesale gave me a Long explanation.Here is the short of it.Electrical Vehicle companies are buying the majority of the batteries.They have priority over the.industry.

Whatever he gets Large companies are buying ALL his stock for battery packs.They literally came to.him and said they will buy All his stock!Not long ago he had 70K P42A.Gone.Samsung,Murata are also gone except for VTC6.

HE also said prices will be sky rocketing for Samsung,Panasonic/ Sanyo, Murata and LG.May not come down for a few years.His 30 Q BT was $5.09 now it is $7.99.

He is an official Molicel dealer.The First one before 18650 battery and others. Their prices will remain basically the same and should be re stocked in the next month or so…hopefully!

There are a few other reasons but this was the primary reason.

I do have the TN42 V2, and it has 4 21700 batteries. It may have similar specs, but duplicates or similar features in a light are not an impediment. Keep in mind I have north of 200 lights. I have 6 lumintop tool aa 2.0 alone. Like most things I collect, making sense is not a part of the mindset in collecting. The collecting market is not driven by logical decisions, and nobody needs 200+ flashlights.