XM-L Beamshot Comparison Photos-My Better Throwers

[/quote]

I’ll keep that in mind.

Most of the time the shots I take are up high above the camera and just a little bit behind it. It usually works most of the time. But I agree that side shots will probably work better. I’ll remember this. I used 2 sec timer on all of those photos. And yes some may be a slight % better focused, but all should be very close from photo to photo. Typically from what I have seen the camera will seem more blurry on the less light photos at what your aiming the lens at due to the camera not being able to focus as clearly on a less brighter image. But I can always go to longer timer setting and take side beamshots.
[/quote]

I’ve got a K40 on order :). When I get it, I will take some comparison beamshots between that and my present STL-V2, which is my only thrower at the moment.
(I sold off my older Catapult and M3C4 some time ago to raise funds for the newer stuff). I’ll get my son to help me set it up. Hopefully, I’ll get it within 2-3 weeks from now
and then do the needful :wink:

I’ll keep that in mind.

Most of the time the shots I take are up high above the camera and just a little bit behind it. It usually works most of the time. But I agree that side shots will probably work better. I’ll remember this. I used 2 sec timer on all of those photos. And yes some may be a slight % better focused, but all should be very close from photo to photo. Typically from what I have seen the camera will seem more blurry on the less light photos at what your aiming the lens at due to the camera not being able to focus as clearly on a less brighter image. But I can always go to longer timer setting and take side beamshots.
[/quote]

I’ve got a K40 on order :). When I get it, I will take some comparison beamshots between that and my present STL-V2, which is my only thrower at the moment.
(I sold off my older Catapult and M3C4 some time ago to raise funds for the newer stuff). I’ll get my son to help me set it up. Hopefully, I’ll get it within 2-3 weeks from now
and then do the needful :wink:
[/quote]

You’ll like the K40. I actually like it more than my TK70 due to its size and how it throws. And it’s super bright up close on turbo.

I look forward to your photos.

Thanks you for the effort ILF. Some impressive lights you have there that's for sure. This will likely be a good reference for a lot of people, so TY :-)

Coming from you that means a heck of a lot to me.

Thank you.

Thanks for doing this great beamshot comparison!

Here's a mouse-over of K40 vs. TK70 (mouse over for K40)

Not much difference in brightness of the last pole, but TK70 looks brighter to my eyes. Now I'm really looking forward receiving the BTU Shocker.. :)

Hey thanks the

Let me know what you think of the BTU shocker.

The next light I plan on buying is the Trustfire X6. Then I’m gonna dedome it.

Congrats!

Ilike, don't do it.

I already talked to my buddy scaru, and he said even a dumb guy like me could do it. LOL!

So I’m game. I know rikr really likes his. And he told me his doubled in lux from what he could tell. And I got to admit the photo Rick posted of the X6 looks pretty dang impressive to me.

So with that I think I owe Viffer on here a public apology in doubting what he said. I guess he was right. I just was going off of my results, but I may have not done mine right to begin with from the ones I had working until I screwed them up. LOL!

But hey you live and learn.

So with that I say I am sorry to Viffer for doubting you.

I’m just a stubborn hillbilly anyway so what do I know.

I tried dedoming one about the time you tried a couple and yes I had as much luck as you did. Nice pictures. Before the mouse over was done I would of sworn the TK70 was brighter but now I'm not sure. Taking nothing away from the TK70 though, that thing is a beast.

I have to agree with MRsDNF: Don't.

It looks and feels impressive, but the output is disappointing. It's only 45kcd. Not much more even when driven with the infamous "thirty-second 10A driver" (same as scaru's).

I'm planning to change back the original driver and change the emitter to a de-domed XM-L. Maybe it will be ok then? (But then again, I could do the same for my TN31 and get something around 200kcd)

You know there is really 2 ways to look at those photos. In the mouseeover, the TK70 definately appears to be brighter. But if you concentrate your efforts on the brown leaves in the tree directly dehind the last electric pole you will see that it is definately sharper in the K40 photo as well as the last electric pole itself. But earlier photos I have show the TK70 to be the winner. They are really so dang close it isn’t funny. I can tell you right now if I had to keep only one light between each of these 2 the K40 would be it. That is based on 4 factors: price, throw, size, and weight. The K40 is just a super nice quality light that really is very light in weight compared to the TK70. The finish on the K40 is probably the best I have seen on any light I own. It’s just a gem of a light for the money and really is the better value over the TK70. But that’s not taking anything away from the TK70. No other LED flashlight I own will light up the neighbors yard like the TK70 does. And it just doesn’t light up one yard, but the next and the next….you get the picture from the photos I showed. I love the TK70 for what it is. One word comes to mind. BRUTE! And really 3lbs with batteries isn’t that bad. That’s 7oz lighter than the Olight SR90.

The pics have to be taken at the same time and same place to really determine a winner just like Brad is doing. Awesome shots!

Wow, nice comparison shots.
Thanks.

I don’t think you fully understand what I’m saying. There are no pictures involved, but rather both are compared to an SR90 by two different people.

Brad

Both of these are wonderful lights, just in different ways. If you want flood and throw together, the TK70 looks to be the king of the hill. I appreciate all the work you do to help many people make informed buying decisions.

Bruce

Thanks ILF for the great pics.

If you want to retry dedoming, I seriously recommend the heating + full dome removal method. Viffer had a youtube video on it (forgot the link, I think it's in the dedoming thread). Dome slicing, IMO, gave too much variance in the result. Plus, honestly, I think removing the whole dome is actually easier and gives better chance of not screwing up. You just need for the dome to be really hot, then it comes off quite easily (use of thin razor blade will help).

And of course, take note of the XM-L wire side, don't cut/flick from there.

Ok I’m updating this thread due to what we all learned in another thread about the TN31 vs the TK70.

The TN31 is the better thrower due to the fact it has a brighter hotspot. The TK70 may appear to be brighter in the mouseovers due to the actual particles in the air that the bright wide beam from the TK70 is lighting up. But if you go back to the pool pictures at 110yds and concentrate only on the TN31 hotspot, you will clearly see the TN31 is brighter and is in fact the better thower.

Why didn’t you include some of your other lights & HID?

Well the other lights aren’t XM-L’s. And that’s what I titled the thread. The HID isn’t here yet.