[FINISHED] Köf3's 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Hand Made Category

Update 27th Dec 2023:

The project is now finished!

Video of the Tubuslux One in action:

Hello all together,

my first entry in this challenge.

The build starts soon and will be shown here. I have enough ideas, now it’s time to choose the right one :smiley:

In general, I have set the following requirements for my design, so I can fulfill them all in the final result hopefully:

• min. 2000 lumens in finest high CRI neutral white quality for min 1 min. without significant drop
  • floody light pattern
  • driver with Moonlight and at least some useful modes (no strobes)
  • 18650 or better 21700
  • Waterproof for min. 5 min
  • tailstand should be possible
  • design that can be used well in everyday life
  • no curbs or other artifacts should be visible in the casing → as simple and smooth as possible

And this only with hand tools and basic power tools of course (like given in the contest), but I don’t have advanced machinery anyway :smiley:

See you later!

10 Thanks

Phooaaaa, this is going to be a show :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Koef I :crossed_fingers: 4 this project. I always admired your knowledge :muscle:

1 Thank

First steps.

I checked the first concept, and it looks perfect! :heart_eyes:

The light gets a tactical switch. Other components for the self-made host are already ordered.

The length will still decrease by a few millimeters later in the build. In general, the design will change a lot later on. Next week I will proceed with the design, as soon the other components will arrive.

4 Thanks

I am making progress with the host!

Sanding the components…

Step by step…

Tomorrow is the next session!

1 Thank

I really like the design!

Its giving a very strong “winner!” vibe.

Have you chosen a driver and emitter?

Cant wait for the next chapter.

I planned a triple with 3500 K Nichia 519A with Carclo floody optics.

Driver - I am not sure, I think I will use a 8 A buck driver.

Richtiger geil!

Steampunk Triple!

1 Thank

There is a problem in the build - the tolerances of these cheap brass fittings and threads are way too high. The bezel sits crooked on the rest of the tube, which is clearly visible and it would be also problematic to build the LEDs and the optic in.

I looked for some alternative pieces, which are ordered. I will also look for better pieces in another hardware store…

At least the driver, the LEDs, the board and the optics are also ordered :slight_smile:

1 Thank

I’m seeing this with my build as well.

Plumbing fittings are made with a tapered cut thread on purpose. When screwed together the threads jam together and that helps to make a tight seal. I haven’t worked with enough threaded pipe to know if there are some brands or sources that would be better. There are some fittings with the same diameter and thread pitch used in the electrical trade that have no taper. But no brass or copper that I know of. Sorry, but I have no other help to offer.

1 Thank

I have fittings without taper. Here in Germany they are also available in brass. The problem is that the threads are not cut exactly straight. For water pipe installation no problem, but for this purpose. There will also be major differences between manufacturers in terms of tolerances. Branded fittings (not the cheap ones from the hardware store) generally seem to be better. I ordered fittings from another manufacturer. The threads of the bezel itself seems to be straight cut.

1 Thank

Allow me to modify my posting… In the US and Canada there are different types of threads used for different types of fittings.

There are “pipe fittings” sold as NPT or NPS. NPT and NPS are not used in Europe and EU fittings are not used in US/Canada.
NPT = National Pipe Taper and NPS = National Pipe Straight.
NPT are the common fittings such as where a length of pipe is joined to another pipe with a straight or angled coupler or tee.
MIP and FIP terms are also used… same thread configuration as NPT. MIP = Male Iron Pipe, and FIP = Female Iron Pipe.
NPS fittings are normally used where O-rings or gaskets are used for sealing.

Then there are fittings that are “Compression fittings”. These are used to join rigid pipes (iron, brass, PVC, CPVC) to tubing that could be copper or plastic of some kind. The compression threaded part is a different thread and will not mate with other pipe threads.

2 Thanks

That sounds frustrating. Have you considered getting a tap and die to cut your own threads? Doing that can bring its own challenges but could also give you more options.

Tbh no, I hope that other fittings are more usable for my application :smiley:

On weekend I will see, the packages should arrive tomorrow.

Yes, they are! Now the bezel sits perfectly straight.

I prepared the tailcap:

After sanding it. The switch will be in the middle:

Now it looks more like a proper host. :smiley: Next week I will modify the newly arrived fitting.

3 Thanks

Very good! Great news

2 Thanks

Very nice looking host :heart_eyes: some industrial spirit speaks out of it.

Any idea about the weight?

A little bit heavier than other lights :sweat_smile:

I found a funny thing on the new fitting:

Maybe I will keep the ‘Made in italy’ print, it gives some interesting touch to the light. What do you think? :smiley:

2 Thanks

Yes, Italy is nice and is giving us Ferraris and Lambos :drooling_face:

Then why not to associate this declaration with high performance and attractive design?

Referring to the weight… Oh yes, brass has never been light (actually this time it will light… up) but we all know other advantages of this material.

1 Thank