Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

Tom, switch is one of those metallic momentaries mounted on a pcb and installed in the hole under the button. It’s not affixed to the driver.

I’ll see if I can get you those dimensions sometime today on driver size, bay depth, lens dia, reflector bay depth and diameter, all that. :wink:

There is a NW version of the ThorFire S70? Didn´t knew that, where did you get it from? I thought they all had the same (CW) emitter (at least mine is).

K.

Also waiting for the host version.

I have a MT-G2 on stock :slight_smile:

Thanks Dale! That's the best switch, both for rigidity/support and to wire up, like an SRK style. Cool! Yep, than sounds like a driver replacement is the way to go, but hope the stock driver is a standard size - I never understood how to do a good adapter setup for a smaller driver into a wider mount. Still, a piggyback style could be done easy, sounds like.

Edit: I looked quickly at MtnE and he's got a 22mm and 26mm driver supporting LDO. Unfortunately both are just a FET, not FET+1. Still, do-able but have to add a "FET only" option to Narsil, and generate a new ramping table, etc. Not sure if wight or others have anything up on OSHPark. You really don't need a FET+1 on a light like this I'm thinking. Can't imagine running it often for long times on lower modes, where the 7135 really helps.

A quick look shows the driver to be in the 29mm range, it’s labeled FX-30.

Ok, - way back at post #1078 KB1428 was asking bout a 30 mm PCB. You and I were both posting bout it. Dunno what he eventually did. So 29-30 mm it is. Doesn't matter - it's non-standard size. Hhmm - wonder if Simon is working out a driver adapter solution prior to selling the L6 as a host.

Hope this helps Tom

I wiped it off clean, seeing if I wanted to replace it it could be bought, I went LD-2 M2 XHP35 in my L6. http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S024847

How does the LD-M2 driver with a XHP35 on 3 cells run? I mean, does it maintain its output? Or does it drop rather quickly?
I thought that driving a XHP35 on 3 cells with a linear driver isn’t ideal? (too little voltage overhead?)

Here is a review just posted on CPF with some pics of the internals and a few measurements. Overall a good review.
L6 CPF review

You are correct my man, but I’m running (4)–26500’s in the L6, the Jax X6 (4)–26650’s in the Trustfire T90-2 (4) –26500’s

Nice mods. Mine are still back ordered

Man the L6 is very Photogenic! I like this remark in his review… ” There is a place by the tail for optional tactical ring. I put it there and haven`t taken of since then as it adds a good grip.” I wonder how many over there are secretly buying a (GREAT) Budget Light on the down low ? :smiley:

Ahhh - litlte more info, but in the CPF review, they still did not remove the driver and show the switch wiring, etc. But I know enough now anyway.

Thanks bugsy36 and KB1428. Yes I've used that 22 mm driver a few times but no direct support for LDO.

KB1428 - guess you piggybacked in the LD-2 M2 then, stripping the stock driver, and did the 12V upgrade kit. How does this driver work? Can you use just the e-switch and is the parasitic drain low? assume he's using an LDO or equivalent?

LD-2 M2 4S 25mm dia. Linear driver I thermal epoxied AS5 the driver directly to the head, with a dab of AS5 grease in the middle and drilled a whole thru the pcb for spring to LED + and the mcu + feed, off a pad on the stripped pcb . The LD-2 M2 driver utilizes the tail cap and e-switch for mode changes. It would seem an LDO would be needed, never looked into it that far. It switches great off the tail cap and e-switch with no issues I have seen so far, and I’m running them on 2 of the same type lights …I like them, just more work since they don’t support a pcb in which to mount a spring, like a regular driver, you have to become a little more adaptable, and innovative in the placement of them, they do get hot so heat sinking is with out saying right so I removed the ano inside the head. Need a smoth reflector now? LD-2 M2 thread… Discontinued: LD-M2 - info and FAQ thread (up to 19V 20Amps PWM-less linear driver)

I had to elongate the lead holes a bit to run the wire to the emitter, theres only 1-2mm clearance between the LD-2 M2 base and drive pocket diameter of the L6. But the LD-2 M2 has cut out for the leads to go thru, just took a bit of elongating and angling/ ramping the clearance holes in the head.

Guys, L6 driver finally here . It is only ONE RMB higher price than the original FX-30 driver without side switch. :+1:
_

Meanwhile, there are a few 22mm BOOST drivers available in TaoBao, call FX-35 & one more no name:
(Single cell 1A with & without side switch)
_

or

(Single or Dual Cell 1.5A without side switch)
_

Sorry Tom and all. I’ve been crazy busy and am a little behind. This is always a busy time of year for me getting my garden ready to supply me with a years crop of organic veggies. What would be the optimal size for a driver adapter ring? 22? Give me a little feedback on what is most desired for the host and I’ll work with Simon to bring it to life. Yes, it’s 30mm driver and I believe the driver pocket is 30.5mm.

You are right, i got carried away with all the NW and high CRI madness obsession i’ve been through with my latest lights and i though the S70 i ordered was NW too. I checked my BG order and indeed there is no choice. However - but i’ll have to check, whatever CW it is, it is not on the ‘bluish’ side i think.

Thanks - I got some great help though . For me, I'd be fine with a 22 mm or 26 mm driver mount - they seem to be popular sizes, and those are our best options from Richard at this time.