Group Buy-BLF X6-SE OP update-GB over.

I haven’t even received mine yet, so this is premature, and the more I read the more I think I may really like it as is. That said, I am definitely considering a driver change for more lumens. Is there a good option available for less than $15?

B42, I think the design changed on the LD-1 and ended up with 4 modes. No solderable star for 140%. That should be in the thread, maybe further on as it was in the later development of the driver.

Cabfrank, you can drop in a Qlite 3.04A driver for about $4.00. For a little more than that you can have Richard add chips to raise the power level. 4 chips in addition to the 8 already on the driver makes for a pretty nice light, in stock form Star 4 can be soldered to the ground ring for the additional moon mode which is usually very low on those.

I have, uh, added a few more than 4 chips before the days of the BLF FET driver. I think the most I ever had on a Qlite was 22 total 7135 chips. :)

Crazy, but I like it! Didn’t you say the Qlite drivers usually deliver a lot less Amps though?

The Qlite 3.04A driver usually delivers 2.89-2.98 somewhere in there. Depends on what restrictions are in your host. If you take off the little short spring and put a bypassed standard spring on it, you should see right at that 3.04A with a good cell. Stacking chips ups that by steps of 350mA or 380mA, depending on the choice of chips.

So a driver with one added chip should do about 3.3A, 2 added chips about 3.6A, 3 added...well, you get the picture. 4 should be in the 4.5A range.

Thank you.

What do you use in place of a retaining ring with the Qlite? That retaining ring only wants to use a single sided driver.

I usually cut a step on the inside to clear the components. Don't like doing it, but it's a work around. They've already got a bevel cut inside the retaining ring, it's a nice guideline to cut a step for clearance. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess, so I hold the ring with my bare fingers and use a Proxxon to cut it out. The brass do get hot sometimes! New cutting bit helps in that regard.

I've also soldered solid copper wire onto the ground ring around the edge so the retaining ring would hit it higher, clearing the components. I took the copper wire from the middle of a TV cable wire. ;)

Wight has a new FET board that is one sided, makes it very easy to drop in lights like this.

I may have to try my hand at this once I get used to the stock lumens output. I’ve never modded before, so is it as easy as soldering on two wires or a little more labor intense?

i just switched this out>>> to this >>>its a lot better

Brighter?

Oh yes i can tell with a half drained cell lol

East-092? D.D…. not really one of my favorites, but surely your X6 will be much brighter now.

Whats the “this” in the picture? How much $? Where’d you get it? What is the output and modes and pwm? Please. :slight_smile:

THAT, is the BLF17DD FET driver. Pretty much direct drive and limited by the cell you choose. Better the cell, higher the output.

Hi,

FYI, the CW one I ordered got to Jamaica, NY today (shipped 11/9). The NW one (also shipped 11/9) is still at “Origin Post”.

Looks like the BLF17DD

Oops, beat to the punch.

I haven’t gone back through every post in this thread, but has anyone tried the driver that comes with this light with 2 x Li-ion yet?

yes, seems like it fried the LED
if i recall correct djozz did

##edit: there it is: Group Buy-BLF X6-SE OP update-GB over.

Mine say the exact same thing. This wait is killing me!

My first one just arrived. On a fresh off the charger (4.20v) 25R I’m getting 3.07A, Gonna give it the benefit of the doubt and braid the spring right quick and report back…

edit: That netted me a .18A gain, up to 3.25A. I’m gonna be pulling the driver and installing a BLF 17dd V3.1 (gasp, but then it wont be a true “BLF X6-SE” any more, oh noes00!) but I am interested in this driver. I’m really wonder what, if any, similarities it shares with the LD-4b.