I think I killed my Jacob A60

Not sure what I did wrong.

I had the light turned on high and screwed off the reflector. Just wanted to see the flood. As I was screwing it back onto the body, the light shut off. I clicked it a few times to try and turn it back on and nothing.

Then I see a faint wisp of smoke coming from around the led and that elicrical burnt smell. I guess it is fried.
I removed the battery and that was that.

So, I am guessing that I didn’t do anything wrong, but if removing the reflector while the light is on is a no no, please let me know. Otherwise, I guess I just got unlucky. The light was only on for 30 seconds or so.

Next question. Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it ready for the trash?

Thanks guys.

Sean

will it turn on with out the reflector in it?

It sounds to me like you shorted the led with the metallic reflector as you screwed it back on. Probably the driver board took the hit. I once did something similiar, I spun the XML off its solder joint as the reflector grabed it while it was on. I guess the temperature at the joint was close to the melting point of solder………

Another possibility is that the light relies on thermal conductivity to the reflector to conduct heat from the LED, although a shiny reflector would not be a good radiator of heat. It would be a good conductor though, until it “filled up” with heat.

Nope. It will not turn on now with the reflector on or off. Tried new battery as well. It seems good and dead.

This is what I thought might have happened. Well, I guess I learned what not to do in the future. I am assuming I should just toss the host. Is that best or are there other uses for it. Thanks.

Sean

There is some interest in putting an XML in that host. Read about HERE

If you want I can take the host off your hands. :D

Whoa Nelly! Don't trash the host! It can be modded for sure if you're interested in doing it or sending to others to do it for you. Just post up and ask someone. Or at least post it up for sale.

-Garry

On my light it has a plastic reflector and a plastic disc over the led. So that is really strang that it would short out.

There are some options, change the emitter and see if it lights up or can send it to someone to repair it, member E1320 does this type of work or sale the host/body.

Fyi - i would be interested in buying the broken light :bigsmile: if you go that direction.

Hope you get it figured out.

Mine also has the plastic reflector and plastic disk over the led board, so not sure how it shorted. Having said that, I would love to modify it. I read a few of the listed links and saw that there is an ongoing discussion on the matter. I’m not sure it is something I can do, but I would love to try. I might also look into using the services of a skilled technician if the light can be upgraded into something special.

I liked the idea of putting an xml into it and upping the power, but it didn’t seem like everyone thought that was a great solution for the light in the thread I was reading.

I will have to do some research and see what is possible.

Sean

I have a crappy light (XML) that relies on the force of the reflector to press the star that the XML is mounted on to press against the pill. otherwise the star would not make thermal contact and would over heat. Maybe this is what happened? Anyway look at the “bright” side of this. Now you have an excuse to mod with an XML!!!

I would try an XP-G to retain more of the throw, or XP-G2 if you replace the driver as well. I’ll put my name on the list as well if you want to get rid of it. I might like to use this light for modding. …Still haven’t pulled the trigger on ordering one.

Hey don’t feel too bad. I killed two of mine trying to dedome them.

I have modded a few lights Sean and definately messed up a few on the way. If you like tinkering with stuff then this might be right up you alley. Theres something to say about a light when you know it backwards and forwords.

I would certainly try to mod using an XP-G to get some more throw out of it.

MMMM an xp-g2 sounds nice in one of these!

Did you ever come up with something seandemar

I haven’t looked anymore for a compatible driver for this light. I will do some more searching as I really want to get the light up and running. I also want to use that led you sent me so I hope to find one that will work with the stock led.

Any suggestions out there?

Sean

That sucks that you cant play with your light.

I wish I could help more but for some reason there is not many drivers out there in that size. I have looked alot of places and nothing comes to mind. Will start looking again as I just got a nice $5 light from KD that has a similar sized driver in it.

Can anyone help us with a driver.

Add on - maybe there is some kind of adapter for a 17mm driver to make it replace a 20mm driver. I know there is multiple light out there that this could be usefull on.

There was a recent thread about A60’s from DX that had a paper disk with a hole under it BENEATH the LED star. They were quickly overheating and the light output dropped like a rock. It really sounds like to me that somebody put the lights together wrong and put the reflector insulator in the wrong place.