Opple Light Master 4 discussion thread (new 2023 model)

No, saying the LM3 has less capability is correct. However the LM4 does not accomplish even as much as the LM3.

We are not comparing the LM3 to the LM4, we are comparing the LM4 to the LM3, and it is less accurate than the LM3.

These are not “flashlight” leds, they are not designed or sold for this purpose. These leds are used in a wide variety of uses, including home lighting. I dont think there is a led manufacture out there that designs or markets a LED just for flashlights.

1 Thank

without verification I partially agree with your points.
if I now possess 10 flashlights I will now go downstairs and do testing now.
however I don’t have flashlights, that’s a sad thing. I searched on e-commerce sites, it’s kind of pricey.

hope the war finish as soon as possible.
stay safe.

Unfortunatly standard cheap flashlgihts may not help much. Those typically use budget bin leds. The lights we use and discuss here generally use much higher quality led emitter chips (hence why they are for other uses). They are however a bit more expensive and imo start at $20 USD and go up in price from there (and not saying any $20 light would be the same).

You are talking lights like olight, raylight, emisar, fennix, convoy, and a whole bunch of others. As long as it uses cree, osram, nicha, samsung, and other “name brand” emitters and although there are fakes of those emitters those are probably of interest as well.

Point being, standard cheap lights likely have poor or wildly different specrums than cree xml, osram cslnm1, or sst-20, 219, 519a, etc. Those leds themselves also have various specteums, some of which have been analyzed here with results.

More connisour than consumer

Convoy S2+ flashlight with different LEDs:
Nichia 219B 3000K 90+ CRI
Nichia 219B 3500K 90+ CRI
Nichia 219B 4500K 90+ CRI
Luminus SST20 2700K
Luminus SST20 4000K
Luminus SST20 5000K
Luminus SST20 6500K
Luminus SST40 5000K <70 CRI
Luminus SST40 6500K <70 CRI

There are also S2 flashlights with different Cree and Osram emitters.

Any particular drivers with good regulated output?

1 Thank

Here are some tests with spectrum results
Lots of lights and leds tested by awesome members. Im going to point out maukka’s tests as they have consistent spectral measurememts

719a

Yinding

Sst-20

Home lights

Lh351d

Ikea home light

More home bulbs

Emisar flashlight

Olight flashlight

Kr4 flashlight

3 Thanks

企业微信截图_16921731305158

blue cross represent spectra that I currently possess(measured or mixed, and some from internet), the orange part is from SDL strip that I mentioned before, notice the two rear parts, seems the two extreme rear ends are statistical outliers(SDL strip’s dimming range is 1800K~12000K, this quite low and high CCTs may correspond to this graph, and in the long run, SDL would support 20000K and even higher CCTS).
I don’t have flashlights spectra, but I think flashlights spectra may show a little common characteristics with this SDL spectra, that is their spectra are kind of statistically different with those spectra that I currently have. actually I want to classify different spectra and then handle each kind of spectra specifically(divide and conquer should generate more accurate results). but I can’t as shown in the graph, SDL spectra overlap with “average / normal” spectra.

1 Thank

btw, the lens may incur shift in spectrum, maybe lens of flashlights differ a lot from home lights which are made of materials like PP or some other plastics.
in a word, if spectra from flashlights and home lights are statistically conform to same distribution, there ought to be no precision difference between them. but there does exist some difference, why?

You mean tint shift? If there’s a diffraction, any optics will bring it out. Is this a problem? A true spectrophotometer will also not measure the LED, but LED plus optics.

shift of spectrum itself, resulted from plastics/optics

Flashlight-use optics are very even transmittance through entire visible spectrum, usually made of glass, polycarbonate, or PMMA, should not cause that issue.

1 Thank

I’m not aware of any earthly material that can visibly shift an entire spectrum. You’d need a very fast moving flashlingt for something like a redshift. For some wavelengths, there could be fluorescence due to impurities of the material. But you wouldn’t been able to measure this with the Lightmaster.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but absorbing and emitting photons seems to me the only way to alter the frequency except special and general relativity. A very massive flashlight (carved from a neutron star) might indeed have an effect, too. But you shouldn’t handle those anyway.

1 Thank

Hi guys I have an Opple Lightmaster 3 and I need a spectometer analyzer for all visible spectrum (Lights. Led lamps, Red therapy) and I’d like a score as in this picture

Is it possible to use the Lm3 or Lm4 or It’s necessary a spectometer as the Hopoocolor?

Thx a lot

Polycarbonate TIR optics do reduce CCT by 2-300k or so.

Some organic resins change even more (e.g., ED-20 epoxy is over 1000K), and some do not change at all (at the level of measurement error).

IIRC that isn’t because of the material itself, it is because of the optical properties changing where on the emitter the light comes from. The same effect happens with PMMA TIRs and probably glass too, though I don’t have any to try it with.

1 Thank

Please enjoy your time here, Mr_Aquila!

1 Thank

No, you cannot use any of those Lightmasters for this. The spectral resolution is far too low. The LM3 has six, the LM4 eight wavelengths in the visible spectrum.

I think this is not an effect of changing any frequencies, but just diffraction, as @YBF650 pointed out.

Hi guys, I got a flashlight, seems its LED chip is quite low-end because its Ra is 73.7, I measured it using integrating sphere.
but I found one weird thing, LM3’s reading is 75.9, and LM4’s reading is 80.8, when I shine the flashlight directly at LM4, LM4’s reading is 96.8. LM3 works OK under this scenario, why?