Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

:smiley: Mine has shipped.

I got my Q8 the other day. got to figure out how to change from ramping mode to step mode. I never got the Convly L6 though. For the people that own both, how’s the Convoy L6 vs the BLF Q8?

Can someone tell lumen numbers on a bypassed Q8?

I got 7100 lumens according to my aproximating sphere, and I trust those numbers, more or less, but it seems like way too much for 4 xp-l emitters.

I completely bypassed the PCB, by using 18awg directly from the top of the springs, making contact with the batteries, and then making direct contact with the battery tube, holding the wire in place using the screws.

If anyone else has gotten similar (Or higher!) numbers, please tell me, just so I know if my numbers make sense.

EDIT: I just saw DB claiming 10k lumens (with xp-l2), so I guess my numbers are perfectly plausible. Next step, emitter swap for nichia 219c 9050 sm403.

I show that right here in this video.

Actual change happens at 5:00 mark.

I now call this my dual rubber band trick :sunglasses:
Does anyone happen to have some black rubber bands I can borrow?

I got 7139 with a spring bypass….

Different camera settings between the stock vs modified pics.

Thanks MtnDon, seems my numbers perfectly match up with yours.

I expected entirely bypassing the tail pcb and going straight from springs to battery tube would be better than going through the contacts from the PCB to the tube. Guess not, but since it works just fine, I’ll leave it as is.

Nice to see good reports.
Some issues are being talked to via PM, will update the OP with the issues later.

Oh gosh, when the first issues popes up I suggested Barry some sort of Q8 Cool Kit with AR coated or ultra clear glass, a metal colored switch retainer ring and switch assembly with different colors to choose from.
Didn’t hear back on it, but it seems we all got a AR coated lens
And as always some don’t like it, sigh. A quick Google search shoes me several hits how to remove AR coatings

I don’t think mine is AR coated. First batch. I will look closely when I go home.

It should not be.

They were saying the second batch looks like it might be AR coated.

I was about to write something about my blueish 2nd batch Q8 compared to my 1st batch Q8, but couldn’t provide any good pics to go with it.

As this came up now anyway, side by side there is a visible difference in color when light is on and wenn it is off (reflection on the lens).

Will try to get a pic of this next week.

I don’t seek out new threads very often, so I just found out Marshall from Going Gear passed away a couple weeks ago. :cry:

I watched quite a lot of his videos. He seemed like a great guy.

Yeah it is sad, but you probably meant to post it elsewhere…

Haven’t done whitewall hunting, just comparing outside to trees and then I didn’t see it, will check proto, gen 1 and gen 2 today.

No, that’s on purpose.

I wish someone had posted it to a big thread so I would have heard sooner, rather than weeks later.

I put a link so folks can go there to talk about it and to keep this thread on topic.

Ah, yes it was posted and I think there was a topic about Olight doing a special day to help out.

Alternative Q8 holster:
OneTigris 1000D Nylon Tactical Pistol Magazine Pouch Fast MOLLE M4

I don’t think anyone got a Q8 with AR coated lens

When you point another flashlight to the lens of the Q8 with an angle of about 45 degrees you can see 2 reflections (each on one side of the Q8 lens):

1st batch Q8:

2nd batch Q8:

Do you see the difference? Looks coated on one side of the lens.

nice pics Mike!