Selfbuilt's Wurkkos TS30S Pro review

My latest review:

Wurkkos TS30S Pro

This is an impressive-looking light, with its high-output SBT90.2 emitter and large reflector/head. It also features a good implementation of Anduril - albeit one running off a basic FET driver, as indicated by the results. Teaser runtime from the review (check out the full review for more comparisons to other lights):

The beam is very impressive (on those first couple of mins before step-down). Check out my full review for some distance outdoor beamshot comparisons.

4 Thanks

The concensus is that the previous model was superior.

1 Thank

I’m hoping Wurkkos will upgrade to regulated drivers, instead of using FET+1 PWM on everything. It’d really improve performance, stability, and runtime.

BTW, what does Version Check report on this light?

It should be using model number 0716 (Wurkkos FC13) from mid-2023, but I think many shipped with model 0715 (Wurkkos TS25) from 2022. The update brings all the most recent features, but most importantly, it makes the RGB button work better. It displays battery voltage real-time during use, and also while the main LED is off. That way, the user can see battery status at a glance.

There are currently 5 Wurkkos versions of Anduril. All 5 are FET+1 driver designs, but have different ramp tables and aux handling:

• 0713 / ts10-rgbaux: medium lumen ramp, front-facing RGB aux
  • 0714 / ts10: medium lumen ramp, front-facing monochrome aux
  • 0715 / ts25: high lumen ramp, front-facing RGB aux
  • 0716 / fc13: high lumen ramp, button RGB aux (also works on TS30S Pro)
  • 0717 / ts11: high lumen ramp, front + button RGB aux tied together

I’ve been meaning to publish another update soon, since more new features have been added.

BTW, most of the strobe / blinky modes are configurable. Usually the speed and/or brightness is adjustable, by holding the button (1H or 2H), and in some cases it’ll get timing from a button hold and brightness from the last-used ramp level. Like, it’s usually possible to point party strobe at a spinning fan and hold the button until the fan appears to stop moving. Or to change the beacon timing, just hold the button for however many seconds you want between beacon flashes.

3 Thanks

Yes, that does seem to be the general view out there. I haven’t tried the earlier model though.

Yes, fully agree. I will be posting my review of the Emisar lights I recently picked up (with boost driver), and difference is quite noticeable.

Good point, I should be checking that on all my Anduril lights and including in the reviews. I will double-check tomorrow and update this thread and review. Thanks for the details on various builds.

Good to know, I’ll add that to the reviews as well.

2 Thanks

Just checked, and it is 0715 model, from mid-2022. The light was shipped to me just over 2 months ago, but I guess it was from older stock.

1 Thank

It takes a while for the factory to catch up with firmware changes. Usually the version is set at time of manufacture, and once it’s in the box, it doesn’t come out until the buyer opens it. I think the only vendor who doesn’t work that way is Hank, since he builds each order to spec… and it’s pretty easy to update during that process.

So I’d definitely recommend getting a flashing adapter. And I’m hoping I can get vendors to start making those easier to obtain.

Well except it looks like 2.54mm pitch flashing pads thus not compatible with the standard flashing adapter, I don’t know why it’s so hard to use the standard layout and pitch, like they do it for some lights but on others they just do whatever.

1 Thank

Thanks for the detailed review! I’ve had my eyes on this light for some time now, so I really appreciate it.

That’s really too bad :frowning: Why can’t the manufacturers, specially the ones that got it right already, just stick to it? :expressionless:

Could you folks comment further on that? I have that light on my sights and would like to know what they got wrong compared with the previous model. TIA!

Here is a review with some comparison between the two models They got a bit more throw out of the PRO model, but some say at the expense of beam quality. There is another thread where the models are discussed… still looking for it.

Lots of back and forth on the two models…
BTW, I saw that Wurkkos still has the original Ts30S for sale $69… So if you are real curious, I suppose you can get both.
I have the PRO and like it. It does have Andruil 2. I think the previous version was Andruil 1 (IIRC) . If that makes a difference.

1 Thank

Thanks @Mandrake50 for pointing me to the thread and the additional details.

An SBT90.2 thrower is something that has been on my wishlist for quite some time now – and the TS30S Pro looked like an ideal candidate, until @thefreeman popped my balloon :wink: by disabusing me of the notion it would be compatible with his own (and @gchart’s) flashing kits I currently own. Bah. I don’t really want to buy more flashing kits (BTW that’s the same reason keeping me away from Hanklights so far).

So I guess I will keep looking… I don’t really need another flashlight (my FC13 works more than well enough for my modest throwing needs), so I can afford to wait until my ideal SBT90.2 light is available.

1 Thank

Yeah, not sure why it uses double-sized pads. I haven’t had any difficulty flashing it though, since it’s compatible with my code fork.

A popsicle stick would work too, but people don’t generally have the right kind of cable on hand, or the pogo pins, or the USB adapter. I wonder if there’s enough demand to be worth making a double-width version of the usual 3-pin key.

I hope things will standardize on the compact 3-pin layout, but for now I have a few different adapters… SOIC8 clip, Hank’s 2+4 pogo, Lexel’s 3+4 pogo, HQ’s universal 4+4 pogo, the standard 1.27mm 3-pin pogo, and the Code Fork.

Haha, code fork - I love it. :smile:

My milk carton lightbox’s light sensor is mounted on a paint can stir stick (because it was nice and flat, and easy to drill holes to pass the sensor leads through). They are then wired to my DMM with some old bits of speaker wire. So in comparison, your fork is a Cadillac!

1 Thank

could you explain how these two versions concretely differ in practice, please?
many thanks in advance!

I’m obviously not TK but I will give it a try: they are for close but different flashlights, with differing hardware details (eg aux LEDs in different spots as TK mentioned). I don’t think going in more detail would be helpful, but you can always have a look at the sources for that: FC13 and TS25.

Hey TK, besides your innovative use of plastic cuttlery :rofl: I found that adapter you included in the pic to be very interesting:

• Is it that one? Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

• Can you please tell us more about it? Eg, what flashlights can it be used to flash (once provided with the correctly-disposed pogo pins), etc?

I ask because I’m currently a very happy user of @gchart’s 3-pin UPDI adapter (and have 2 of the equivalent @thefreeman’s adapter making their way to me), but I’m looking for something more “universal”, that can ideally be used to flash not only any flashlight, but any piece of AVR electronics (be it UPDI, USBASP or whatever) – presuming that’s even possible, of course :wink:

TIA!

Gchart put some info about using AVR JTAG ICE for UPDI in his 1 seires thread. : Adventures in TinyAVR 1-Series

So, only for UPDI? No USBASP etc? :expressionless: