Thrunite TH10 torture test + review

So I see there really isn’t a ton about the TH10 on here, so I wanted to share my torture test and review
as well as post some additional testing that I’ve done on the light

Amazon US:Amazon.com: ThruNite
Amazon Ca: http://dwz.cn/1eGTT0
Amazon UK: http://amazon.co.uk/shops/A2DUUB2J3TY3X1
Amazon DE: http://amazon.de/shops/A2DUUB2J3TY3X1…
Amazon FR: http://amazon.fr/shops/A2DUUB2J3TY3X1
Amazon IT: http://amazon.it/shops/A2DUUB2J3TY3X1

alright… so lets talk about this light:

SPECS:
LED: Cree XM-L2 LED with a lifespan of 20+years of run time.
Mode & Runtime: Firefly(0.2 lumens, 65 days), Low(11 lumens, 107hours), Medium(172 lumens, 9 hours), High(490 lumens, 178 minutes), Turbo(750 lumens, 118 minutes),SOS(750 lumens, 270 minutes).
Battery Applicable: 1x18650 battery, 2xCR123 batteries or 2xRCR123A batteries.(No Included)
Working voltage: 2.7-12 V.
Reflector: Orange Peel.
Peak Beam Intensity: 5490 cd
Beam Distance: 148 m
Dimension: 77.8 mm(H) * 53 mm(L) * 32.2 mm(head diameter).
Weight: 132.4 g(without battery).
Waterproof: IPX-8(1.5 m, 30 minutes).
Impact Resistance: 2 m.
Material: Aircraft grade aluminum body structure with premium type III hard anodized anti-abrasive finish.
Accessories: O ring, Spare inner switch cap.

Testing:

The results are pretty explanatory. I ran this test using a Samsung 30Q 3000 mah and checked lux using a cell phone app at 1 meter every 20 minutes until the light stopped. You can see that the brightness gradually drops throughout the entire length of the test. at 126 minutes the light started blinking and I ended the test. End voltage was 2.89v I specifically used an unprotected battery to verify the LVP is working with the light.

tailcap readings:

.03 / .38 / 1.58 / 2.02 A

These were taking with a HF DMM with crummy leads

Beamshots:

Construction:*

pre-torture

post-torture:

The construction is interesting. It has springs at both end of the battery tube. so it utilizes a separation in the battery tube to set up positive and negative. The positive end uses a wire that leads up to the switch and then to the led. The negative then just grounds out to the other side of the flashlight body which reaches the negative pole on the far side. The LED sits on an integral shelf which helps with heat dissipation.

The genius of the design is that the battery is perpendicular to the light. So if you are bouncing or dropping the light, you don’t have the battery smashing into any wiring or electronics. Furthermore, the path going from positive to the switch is very short, and switch to the led also very short. The wires have nothing to bang against and little room for them to move.

the metal switch is floating under a retaining ring so the torture test had no effect on it whatsoever. Even though I didn’t picture if there appears to be a rubber boot over the switch to help with waterproofing.

The driver is not exposed in this light. Not sure how they even got it in there? the LED sits on a shelf, and there is only one red wire going from the battery compartment to the switch. I’m assuming there is a small drive that is either attached to the switch, or placed in via the switch hole before the switch is installed. Not quite sure.

Performance:

I got a good 2 hours 6 minutes out of this light. Towards the end it was more like 200 lumens, but still very usable right to the very end. If you were using a Thrunite ncr18650b (rewrapped panasonic) your run time would easily be a bit longer. Thrunite advertises 118 minutes on this light, so your going to beat the factory specs. This head lamp does get pretty hot from about 10 minutes to 20 minutes and cools down to just warm after that. At the 10 minute mark it is uncomfortable to hold in your hand, but not bothersome if you are wearing it as a headlamp.

The beam has a nice little hotspot and lots of spill. I was able to see around 100 meters with it in the backyard.

The user interface is pretty simple. Just a click to turn on, click to turn off. Hold the click to change modes, and a double click to go into turbo, and a second double click for strobe.

Conclusion:
as you can see from the video, this light is about as tough as it gets. Performance was great, and the light can be run straight for 2 hours without it getting too hot to handle. it isn’t going to be very mod-able, but for a good rock solid head lamp your going to struggle to find something better for cheaper.

WOW, great testing and that thing is durable. I also like that they have a NW option.

Thanks for the review and videos, I know they take a lot of time and this shows the toughness of these lights…

uhm… you are not allowed around any of my lights, without supervision… lmFao…

It actually survived 6 20 foot drops. The footage was too dark to save on 4/6.

I was going to take it further, but I was concerned about the battery. Didn’t really want an explosion. I quarantined the battery just in case it developed a short from the abuse.

Filming the torture test was alot of fun… Minus climbing up and down my rickety barn stairs.