US - Defiant "Super Thrower" 3C (New Model - +/-64mm Head XM-L) - Get To Home Depot Now!

The 3xC is about ~3.6 - 4.5 volts, and the single 18650 or 26650 is also ~3.7 - 4.2 volts, so voltage ranges are the same for both configurations.

Current, which I think is probably more important as far as brightness, would be determined a lot by what type/brand of batteries are used.

So, all in all, I think that the brightness range would be the same, based on which type of C or 18650/26650 battery is used.

I didn’t do it for better brightness, but mainly to have a smaller, less wieldy light, plus, I’d rather use a single, rechargeable battery, rather than 3 batteries. If brightness is the same or better, I’d go with the shorty configuration.

Jim

wow thats pretty cool. i didnt do the numbers, but i certainly would have thought 3C cells would be more voltage than a single 26650 or 18650.

isnt there a mod to be able to use 2x18650’s? so that would make the dst even brighter?

I think that when I first came on this thread, someone mentioned that there was some thread where someone figured how to configure two 18650s in a DST to be in parallel. I don’t remember what that was, but maybe someone else might.

Here is the link to the mod

I did a 2series 18650 mod, driver swap. The driver I used is flexible, allows for 3C or 1x18650 still. Makes for a very versatile light.

Hi,

I’ve been thinking about modding a DST. I found this thread:

and, I was looking at the picture of the pill (5th picture). I haven’t started disassembling mine yet, but the positive contact in my DST does not have a spring, but rather a kind of metal “flap”.

So I’m wondering are there different versions of the DST, some with a pill with a spring like that, and some that don’t?

Thanks,
Jim

That’s the switch. You need to unscrew the switch section from the head…

Embarrassed :(… Just saw that in this other thread:

Jim

Edit: P.S. This may have been said before, but I was messing around with the DST that I have that has the body from the A8 clone, and I notice that that body is able to screw in directly to the head part, without the switch section, which makes the “shorty” DST even shorter. Also, when you do that, you can use the tail clicky switch on the A8 clone body to turn the light on/off. When you do that, that “shortier DST” is really almost pocketable, and definitely more EDC-able. I’m thinking that you also grind down the bezel a bit, maybe 1/8”, to the point the crenellations are gone, and reduce the length even a bit more.

How in the world do you EDC a light with a 64mm head??? That's going to be a huge bulge in your pocket!

-Garry

Compared to what? :party:

Garry,

I did say “almost pocketable” and “more EDC-able”, plus I was trying a little “tongue-in-cheek” humor :)… But, I think that it’d fit into like cargo pants type pockets (which I don’t have).

Would probably ‘fit’ in cargos or BDUs… but you’d look like you are trying to sneak a bottle of liquor or something haha

surely an edc should be floody, that’s why I edc my 3up u2 chicago x lumen grenade :bigsmile: with 3 x 18650’s it gives run time too.

I do keep a thrower in my day pack though, usually either a zy-t08 or my convoy l2.

Which driver did you use relic38, if you don’t mind me asking. :slight_smile:

Hi m007, I forget at the moment. I’ll dig through my orders to find out though. From I-O, IIRC. Did I link it in my mod post?
Edit: It is in the mod post, click link in my sig to find it. Enjoy. :slight_smile:

>>>>>Would probably ‘fit’ in cargos or BDUs… but you’d look like you are trying to
>>>>>sneak a bottle of liquor or something haha

If you’re wearing cargo pants, one light would make you look unbalanced. Best to put one in EACH pocket for that saddle-bag look!

As the wife says: Is that an HD Thrower in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Hi,

If you haven’t seen it yet, I thought that you all might be interested with what’s been done with the DST, the A8 clone body, and an MT-G2 emitter :slight_smile: :

Jim

Hi,

I’ve been using the tube/body from this A8 clone to make a shorty DST:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390535954299?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

and I wanted to put some solder braid on the tailcap spring.

There’s a retaining ring that holds the button that covers the actual spring, and I removed that, and what I ended up was this:

but I can’t figure out how to disassemble it further so that I can get to the spring to solder the braid.

That white plastic piece surrounding the spring looks like it might be a pressfit cover, but there aren’t any holes or anything to remove that cover.

Does anyone know how to disassemble this further?

Thanks,
Jim

It’s press fit on mine. Push on the button boot… hard.