CLOSED! Group Buy: Starry Light SA-22 BLF Edition (NW emitter, better modes, faster PWM, BLF logo)

668 posts / 0 new
Last post
saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3580
Location: Calif

I have no questions.

devman
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 04/27/2011 - 06:24
Posts: 825
Location: Hong Kong / Vancouver, Canada

Put me down for 1

Stittville Ed
Stittville Ed's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/20/2011 - 08:22
Posts: 804
Location: Stittville, New York
saypat wrote:
I have no questions.

+1

Werner
Werner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 15:00
Posts: 3679
Location: Germany

So wehen will this Start?

Stittville Ed
Stittville Ed's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/20/2011 - 08:22
Posts: 804
Location: Stittville, New York
Werner wrote:
So wehen will this Start?

+1

Streamer
Streamer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 21:06
Posts: 3792
Location: TX

Stittville Ed wrote:
Werner wrote:
So wehen will this Start?
+1

It's all up to the China Connection.Wink

cainn
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 05/26/2012 - 13:45
Posts: 998
Location: Melbourne, Australia

I’m posting for the first time in ages just to say this: put me down for one too.

Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 12 hours ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 884
Location: Springport, IN

I’m afraid with the confusing battery configuration that I won’t be in on this one. I was going to give one to a non-flashaholic, but I don’t think this one will work. Sorry!

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

Gj
Gj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 3066
Location: NY,USA

Does non-flashaholic=inbecile? Put the cells in one way, if it doesn't work say 'oops' or 'darn' and reverse them.

B42
B42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/07/2013 - 21:03
Posts: 1878

Hrm, seriously .4 AND 4.1 lumen moonlight modes taking up 2 of 5 output levels? This is a large light with 4xAA and going to be gifted to newbies I thought, who, like most people with a .4 lumen then going to 4 lumen starting point will react something like “is it on?, what would you even use this for?”. Conversely, flashoholic people who like moonlight ( a small group in a small group btw ) seem to want it on everything, but they are almost universally the least used modes, especially for non-flashoholics. I mean I like it too, and I want it on several lights, but I’ve used it, actually used it, less than .5% of the time its running to go to the bathroom at night, even on my small lights…nice, but hardly crucial, and definitely not worth 40% of the modes on a light. I can always keep a small moonlight mode light by my headstand/sleepingbag/etc and grab that only, leaving the bright lights for when I’m awake in the dark… This is only going to frustrate non flashoholic moonlight lover people I would give it to, can we only have one moonlight mode on it?

*Edit: yikes 4 modes, 50% moonlight light? Why?

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4344
Location: USA

B42 wrote:
Hrm, seriously .4 AND 4.1 lumen moonlight modes taking up 2 of 5 output levels? This is a large light with 4xAA and going to be gifted to newbies I thought, who, like most people with a .4 lumen then going to 4 lumen starting point will react something like “is it on?, what would you even use this for?”. Conversely, flashoholic people who like moonlight ( a small group in a small group btw ) seem to want it on everything, but they are almost universally the least used modes, especially for non-flashoholics. I mean I like it too, and I want it on several lights, but I’ve used it, actually used it, less than .5% of the time its running to go to the bathroom at night, even on my small lights…nice, but hardly crucial, and definitely not worth 40% of the modes on a light. I can always keep a small moonlight mode light by my headstand/sleepingbag/etc and grab that only, leaving the bright lights for when I’m awake in the dark… This is only going to frustrate non flashoholic moonlight lover people I would give it to, can we only have one moonlight mode on it?

*Edit: yikes 4 modes, 50% moonlight light? Why?

I agree that 2 very low modes is a bit excessive, but it’s supposed to have memory so I’m fine with extra modes.

About non-flashaholics though I don’t agree. If they don’t like having moon modes then in my experience they would just rather have a single mode.

DPRoberts
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 07/23/2013 - 01:42
Posts: 53
Location: Sitting down and facing front

unknown00101 wrote:
B42 wrote:
Hrm, seriously .4 AND 4.1 lumen moonlight modes taking up 2 of 5 output levels? This is a large light with 4xAA and going to be gifted to newbies I thought, who, like most people with a .4 lumen then going to 4 lumen starting point will react something like “is it on?, what would you even use this for?”. Conversely, flashoholic people who like moonlight ( a small group in a small group btw ) seem to want it on everything, but they are almost universally the least used modes, especially for non-flashoholics. I mean I like it too, and I want it on several lights, but I’ve used it, actually used it, less than .5% of the time its running to go to the bathroom at night, even on my small lights…nice, but hardly crucial, and definitely not worth 40% of the modes on a light. I can always keep a small moonlight mode light by my headstand/sleepingbag/etc and grab that only, leaving the bright lights for when I’m awake in the dark… This is only going to frustrate non flashoholic moonlight lover people I would give it to, can we only have one moonlight mode on it?

*Edit: yikes 4 modes, 50% moonlight light? Why?

I agree that 2 very low modes is a bit excessive, but it’s supposed to have memory so I’m fine with extra modes.

About non-flashaholics though I don’t agree. If they don’t like having moon modes then in my experience they would just rather have a single mode.

I’m not really a flashaholic (at least not yet), and I like the idea of the two lows. I’d like to bring just ONE flashlight with me when camping and such. Personally, I don’t like mediums. I either want a low enough light that it has a super-long run time and doesn’t ruin my night vision (firefly and low), or I want it as BRIGHT as possible.I’d like it to be low enough that I can use it to read, or leave it on as a nightlight, but also bright enough to light up an incoming Yeti or something. This one light will let me do both.

I can see how someone who uses one for EDC, shining into machinery and such, might want a medium, & probably several levels of medium. But for non-flashoholic uses, I think this is better.

I like the current setup.
hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9638
Location: Berkeley, California

Interested (and I’m another low-lifer)

B42
B42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/07/2013 - 21:03
Posts: 1878

DPRoberts wrote:

I’m not really a flashaholic (at least not yet), and I like the idea of the two lows. I’d like to bring just ONE flashlight with me when camping and such. Personally, I don’t like mediums. I either want a low enough light that it has a super-long run time and doesn’t ruin my night vision (firefly and low), or I want it as BRIGHT as possible.I’d like it to be low enough that I can use it to read, or leave it on as a nightlight, but also bright enough to light up an incoming Yeti or something. This one light will let me do both.

I can see how someone who uses one for EDC, shining into machinery and such, might want a medium, & probably several levels of medium. But for non-flashoholic uses, I think this is better.

I like the current setup.

Welllll, 2/3 year membership with 31 posts, I don’t think you qualify as non-flashoholic group, you already appreciate them enough to research them and be on here, 99.999% aren’t. Wink Either way, do you know how low .4 lumens or 4 lumens is to use? .4 is useless unless its completely dark and you are operating very close to your face, and 4 is still very low for moving around at all. Even as a flashoholic I don’t prefer that low, I don’t usually play hide and seek or read in my tent close to my face or play spy in the forest, so its not useful for me. 2% of 600 is 12 lumens, .2% is 1.2 too, somehow we got lower on already very low modes, the .4 and 4 are in the same territory of usefulness, real percent as stated starts to become more useful. Most people dont want high all the time or low all the time so they can see, which leaves one useful mode for moving around, using it in the ways people use a light most of the time.

_the_
_the_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/08/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 3647
Location: Finland

First of all, the lowest mode isn't moonlight. Not even close to it. - That's why I prefer calling it "low low".

My lumen measurements might not be 100% reliable when it comes to <10lm values, but here are the throw results for all modes: 14cd, 136cd, 4.6kcd, 17kcd.

14cd is definitely not a moonlight, but very usable low beam.

=the=

 

B42
B42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/07/2013 - 21:03
Posts: 1878

Ah I know its a pain, thanks for the effort, everyone has their preferences, I guess many of the people here prefer this low, but I assumed it would be higher as originally specified. I’m just afraid if I buy this for my non flashoholics I’ll have plenty of complaints: I’ve already had one friend who made fun of the low mode which is much higher (24 lumens), others comments from family on a camping trip include: “Is it on? Why do they make it so low? What would you use this for on such a bright light?” One family member was won over (mostly) while using it in the tent, but the rest aren’t seemingly positive about low moonlight modes. I still want to try one, but I’ll pass on the gift idea. Thanks for trying, I know you cant please all, I’m just explaining my experience with non-flashoholic’s preference.

vēer
vēer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 14:23
Posts: 2829
Location: N Europe

I find moonlight mode on my D40A very usable when its completely dark and Im indoors, so low-low or whatever it is called on SA-22 is welcome addition in my opinion ;)!

Often lights lack proper middle mode which is either too bright and too close to high/turbo or too weak and closer to low mode. Not so with D40A, hopefully SA-22 will be as good in this regard :)!

Legolas Jr.
Legolas Jr.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 12 hours ago
Joined: 09/17/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 884
Location: Springport, IN

Gj wrote:

Does non-flashaholic=inbecile? Put the cells in one way, if it doesn’t work say ‘oops’ or ‘darn’ and reverse them.


Well, 80-year-olds are not inclined to patience (at least my grandpa isn’t) and if a flashlight isn’t foolproof, it won’t get used. It wouldn’t bother me, but oh well.

“Strive to be a warrior and a scholar. Be forged in fire and tempered by knowledge. If not, you will either lack the courage to fight for your ideals or lack ideals worth fighting for.”

Gj
Gj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 3066
Location: NY,USA

Legolas Jr. wrote:
Gj wrote:

Does non-flashaholic=inbecile? Put the cells in one way, if it doesn't work say 'oops' or 'darn' and reverse them.

Well, 80-year-olds are not inclined to patience (at least my grandpa isn't) and if a flashlight isn't foolproof, it won't get used. It wouldn't bother me, but oh well.

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2452
Location: Malaysia

Come on guys, it is impossible to make a “perfect” light which suits everybody’s needs or preference. I guess this is why there are so many flashlights available in the market. Do your own mods later on if you dislike the modes in this light.

There are people can give 100 reasons of having memory/moonlight mode and there are certainly another group of people can give 100 reasons of otherwise, this is an endless debate! The modes thing of this light must be finalized or this group buy will never come close to the success, at the end of the day non of us will be benefited from it.

the, to me the current modes are good enough compared with those 5 modes disco drivers flooding in the market, maybe even better than the mode groups of some branded flashlights. Thanks for your effort!

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 46 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 9021
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

bibihang wrote:
Come on guys, it is impossible to make a “perfect” light which suits everybody’s needs or preference. I guess this is why there are so many flashlights available in the market. Do your own mods later on if you dislike the modes in this light.

There are people can give 100 reasons of having memory/moonlight mode and there are certainly another group of people can give 100 reasons of otherwise, this is an endless debate! The modes thing of this light must be finalized or this group buy will never come close to the success, at the end of the day non of us will be benefited from it.

the, to me the current modes are good enough compared with those 5 modes disco drivers flooding in the market, maybe even better than the mode groups of some branded flashlights. Thanks for your effort!


For most lights you can replace the driver or there are many similar lights to choose form but in the 4AA category there are not many lights out there.
I agree that the modes are not great but i may buy one just because this form factor is useful and i have no 4AA light and the batteries can be bought anywhere and eneloops are more durable then lithium.
I wish it was a programmable driver and i could know the drive currents before buying (and if its a linear or buck driver) but we don’t have those things available.

The Journal of Alternative Facts

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of Alternative Facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists."

 

Streamer
Streamer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 21:06
Posts: 3792
Location: TX

The Starry Light modes that _the_ is currently reviewing are just fine with me.  Runtime is always a requirement for me and the current setup is great.

Should I require any other medium modes ( and I know most likely I will not) I do have other pocketable lights for back up.

Looking forward to order Day.  Cool

Gj
Gj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 3066
Location: NY,USA

Sorry, just having a spirited discussion, didn't think you were waiting on my account. I'll take one for sure, still thinking about a second.

_the_
_the_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/08/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 3647
Location: Finland

Someone wanted to see the driver, so here it is:

=the=

 

_the_
_the_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/08/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 3647
Location: Finland

GB started, see OP for more info. Smile

=the=

 

Gj
Gj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 3066
Location: NY,USA

Tracking adds $2.00 per light

_the_
_the_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/08/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 3647
Location: Finland

Gj wrote:

Tracking adds $2.00 per light

Good point. You can work around this by adding one with tracking to cart, and then add others without.

=the=

 

DPRoberts
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 07/23/2013 - 01:42
Posts: 53
Location: Sitting down and facing front
the wrote:

Gj wrote:

Tracking adds $2.00 per light

Good point. You can work around this by adding one with tracking to cart, and then add others without.

Ordered. Skipped the tracking number, but I was a little confused by the shipping options – the item says Free Shipping and all the different charges were $0.00. I chose the UPS option, but it sounds like they’re all being shipped by “Singapore Post” regardless of which box you ticked – is that correct?

_the_
_the_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/08/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 3647
Location: Finland

DPRoberts wrote:
_the_ wrote:

Gj wrote:

Tracking adds $2.00 per light

Good point. You can work around this by adding one with tracking to cart, and then add others without.

Ordered. Skipped the tracking number, but I was a little confused by the shipping options - the item says Free Shipping and all the different charges were $0.00. I chose the UPS option, but it sounds like they're all being shipped by "Singapore Post" regardless of which box you ticked - is that correct?

I suppose so, but I'll ask Ric to confirm..

=the=

 

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3580
Location: Calif

before I commit, what was the high lumen output again please?

thank you!

p

Pages