Review: Black Shadow Terminator 4*U3/4*18650

260 posts / 0 new
Last post
Denbuc
Denbuc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 02/12/2013 - 15:16
Posts: 65
Location: Renfrewshire, UK

It’s the best mofo of a torch I have ever had the pleasure of being blinded by :bigsmile:

Denbuc
Denbuc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 02/12/2013 - 15:16
Posts: 65
Location: Renfrewshire, UK

Does anyone know of a holster that’s a good fit for a Terminator?

I’ve got Tm11 scribbled on my pad here, but I thought that was a 3 cell one?.. and maybe not a very good fit. I might be confusing my scribblings with another torch I had my eye on.

The problem is, that I generally do torch purchases when the beer is out… memories get hazy lol

jmpaul320
jmpaul320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 05/22/2012 - 09:06
Posts: 4163
Location: CT

its dark outside…. i got my terminator today… i turned it on…

now its not dark outside

literally this thing throws light EVERYWHERE

people in my condo complex were coming out on their deck looking to see what was going on

Would you mind keeping the wrong flashlight?
Best wish, May
Tmart service team

 

Soumil wrote:

PLEASE HELP ME GEARBEsT! IM LITERALLY CRYING!

 

rikr
rikr's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/03/2011 - 21:50
Posts: 2077
Location: Fenton, MO

jmpaul320 wrote:
its dark outside…. i got my terminator today… i turned it on…

now its not dark outside

literally this thing throws light EVERYWHERE

people in my condo complex were coming out on their deck looking to see what was going on

That sounds really good!! Congrats on your new light. Johnny, I love your avatar!!! WinkBeer
jmpaul320
jmpaul320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 05/22/2012 - 09:06
Posts: 4163
Location: CT

according to black shadow the new U3 versions CAN have both color screws

email from BS rep:

Quote:
Regarding how to tell U2 and U3 versions: 1. The only difference is their LED and lumens, their is no difference on the appearance between two versions. 2. At the early time after we released U3 version, we both produced grey and silver screws for the handle. But later, we just produced silver type, So, we have grey screw U3 version Terminators in the market.

I sent them my serial number and where I purchased it just to be sure – it appears by measuring a ceiling bounce test and converting to OTF lumens – I do in fact have a u3 version with black/grey screws – and my manual even says U2. my guess is they didnt bother updating the manual either.

I am waiting for another follow up email from BS. EDIT: BS has confirmed that my terminator IS a U3

but its great! EVERYONE NEEDS ONE

the green switch is a EXCELLENT mirco/moonlight mode… if your eyes are adjusted to a dark light or room it will illuminate the WHOLE room like a small night light… and it lasts almost 4 months on panasonic 3400!

Would you mind keeping the wrong flashlight?
Best wish, May
Tmart service team

 

Soumil wrote:

PLEASE HELP ME GEARBEsT! IM LITERALLY CRYING!

 

arjay
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/13/2013 - 02:43
Posts: 42
Location: Philippines

Where did you buy yours? Is there any other way to tell if it’s U2 or U3 other than asking them?

lionheart_2281
lionheart_2281's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 18:32
Posts: 2679
Location: Brisbane, Australia

I want to see a Terminator vs TM26. U3 vs U3 of course.

Needless to say, the winner has my business.

jmpaul320
jmpaul320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 05/22/2012 - 09:06
Posts: 4163
Location: CT

lionheart_2281 wrote:
I want to see a Terminator vs TM26. U3 vs U3 of course.

Needless to say, the winner has my business.

tm26 is u2 – honestly i would think you could only tell the difference side by side… and maybe not even then since they both put out gobs of light

arjay wrote:
Where did you buy yours? Is there any other way to tell if it’s U2 or U3 other than asking them?

i bought from illumination supply… they are out of stock but if you buy from them and use the code blackshadow its the best price in the us right now… edit – whoops – you might want to try doing outdoor – they are selling a u3 version for even cheaper (since you are in the Philippines )

other than lumen output there is no way to tell other than asking blackshadow to check the serial number and the vendor you bought it from

Would you mind keeping the wrong flashlight?
Best wish, May
Tmart service team

 

Soumil wrote:

PLEASE HELP ME GEARBEsT! IM LITERALLY CRYING!

 

lionheart_2281
lionheart_2281's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 18:32
Posts: 2679
Location: Brisbane, Australia

jmpaul320 wrote:
lionheart_2281 wrote:
I want to see a Terminator vs TM26. U3 vs U3 of course.

Needless to say, the winner has my business.

tm26 is u2 – honestly i would think you could only tell the difference side by side… and maybe not even then since they both put out gobs of light

arjay wrote:
Where did you buy yours? Is there any other way to tell if it’s U2 or U3 other than asking them?

i bought from illumination supply… they are out of stock but if you buy from them and use the code blackshadow its the best price in the us right now… edit – whoops – you might want to try doing outdoor – they are selling a u3 version for even cheaper (since you are in the Philippines )

other than lumen output there is no way to tell other than asking blackshadow to check the serial number and the vendor you bought it from

Oh, I had no idea, I don’t know why I presumed it was U3, cheers for the info. I’d still love to see em go head to head.

arjay
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/13/2013 - 02:43
Posts: 42
Location: Philippines

Actually, I already have two terminators that I got from doingoutdoor and they say it’s U2. I was just hoping mine was a mis-labelled U3.

Could you please PM me that email add of blackshadow? I feel that I have to know which one I got so I’ll ask them.

Rozen
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: 05/04/2012 - 00:55
Posts: 107
Location: United States

arjay wrote:
Actually, I already have two terminators that I got from doingoutdoor and they say it’s U2. I was just hoping mine was a mis-labelled U3.

Could you please PM me that email add of blackshadow? I feel that I have to know which one I got so I’ll ask them.

If you don’t mind me asking, when did you order yours and what color screws does yours have?

arjay
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/13/2013 - 02:43
Posts: 42
Location: Philippines
Rozen wrote:
If you don’t mind me asking, when did you order yours and what color screws does yours have?

I ordered mine Feb. 18 and the screws are black/grey. It’s the U2 version according to doingoutdoor.

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 12 hours ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 1720

4 left for U3, it is fast. I remember it started from 20?

cool i'll see you when you get there

whokilledJR
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 06/03/2012 - 13:05
Posts: 699
Location: Central Highlands, Vietnam

Hmmm. Any owners have problems with the switch yet? I know a friend who purchased the terminator, after a few days the switch failed. He put it down to poor/flimsy design. I’m wondering if he had a bad apple or wether the switch could be poorly constructed.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS
ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 23:47
Posts: 5693
Location: southeast MO

Denbuc wrote:
My Terminator arrived today from Intl outdoor – amazingly in ten days.

If anyone is in any doubt, this BST is just lovely. By FAR the highest quality torch I’ve ever seen never mind held.

Now can’t wait for night time to out and do some testing lol ShockedSteve

Do you have a Fenix TK75?

Santa
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 12/12/2012 - 03:11
Posts: 9
Location: moon
beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3091
Location: Pennsylvania

Don’t get a chance to read this forum much but every time I do the result is me buying a new light! I’m ready now to throw down for a new “super light” So the question is BW Terminator 3C NW, Terminator U3 or Fenix TK75? Price is only about $23 more for the TK 75 ($157.99 for the TK75@ HK Equip.with coupon code) So for me they’re both in the same ball park on price. I’m no expert here so I’d like to find out some opinions from anyone here who would be kind enough to offer any input to help with my decision.

My use would be a portable light for bug out and for home security to scan my 2 1/2 acre yard that has nearly no trees (I can view the whole area from the house), my longest range light currently is an HD2010, but I’d like to have something with more flood to it. Also the HD2010 has a mind of its own and sometimes doesn’t turn on at first, which renders it pretty much useless for my purpose. So I need something more reliable too.

I also have another concern: The tint, NW IMO is better to see with outdoors compared to CW, with the NW I can see an object better. The CW seems to be so white in the center it kinda slightly blinds me from seeing the object. So I’m wondering if I would be happy with the brightness of a NW Terminator since it would be less bright than the U3 (I don’t think the TK75 is available in NW?) or should I just go for the U3 for sheer power factor?

"Over 2000000 hours (about 200 years) standby time"  (DQG Tiny 4th)

"27,157 results for zoomable flashlight" (ebay)

 

 

whokilledJR
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 06/03/2012 - 13:05
Posts: 699
Location: Central Highlands, Vietnam

beam0 wrote:
Don’t get a chance to read this forum much but every time I do the result is me buying a new light! I’m ready now to throw down for a new “super light” So the question is BW Terminator 3C NW, Terminator U3 or Fenix TK75? Price is only about $23 more for the TK 75 ($157.99 for the TK75@ HK Equip.with coupon code) So for me they’re both in the same ball park on price. I’m no expert here so I’d like to find out some opinions from anyone here who would be kind enough to offer any input to help with my decision.

My use would be a portable light for bug out and for home security to scan my 2 1/2 acre yard that has nearly no trees (I can view the whole area from the house), my longest range light currently is an HD2010, but I’d like to have something with more flood to it. Also the HD2010 has a mind of its own and sometimes doesn’t turn on at first, which renders it pretty much useless for my purpose. So I need something more reliable too.

I also have another concern: The tint, NW IMO is better to see with outdoors compared to CW, with the NW I can see an object better. The CW seems to be so white in the center it kinda slightly blinds me from seeing the object. So I’m wondering if I would be happy with the brightness of a NW Terminator since it would be less bright than the U3 (I don’t think the TK75 is available in NW?) or should I just go for the U3 for sheer power factor?

Don’t have the terminator but I friend of mine did, and had to send it back as after a few days the switch failed. It may have just been a bad apple which can happen in any line of product, but he has a lot of experience with flashlights and I can’t help but wonder. One thing you may want to consider is which one would last longer. The TK75 has a 2 year warrenty and is very well designed, nothing fancy but the machining and balance of weight and feel in hand is, well, superior Fenix quality. Everything about it seems solid and looks built to last. The tint is interesting, it is a little green at the lower levels, but on high and turbo it seems to change to more of a creamy white tint which isn’t at all too bad on the eyes. Not NW, but nice all the same. Spill is bright and almost as wide as my J18, which I feel I have no use for now I have the TK75, and you know the TK75 will out-throw the competition.

So based on my personal experience, it’s obvious which light I would recommend. Not trying to dish anyone here, just my opinion of course. If I had to choose a high quality, do it all in one multi-emitter light again I know my money’s safe on the TK75.
Nightbird95
Nightbird95's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/03/2013 - 01:16
Posts: 1153
Location: N 11º 08', E 124º 37'

arjay wrote:
Wow! I like your job. I bet your lights gets tons of use everyday. click lights up the entire face of a mountain!

Figured..I doubt he’s getting more though so I’ll have to import a couple for myself.

Yeah! Being a true flashaholic that I am, I had my car custom fitted with projector HID headlights with 55 watts ballast each + projector HID fogs also with 55 watts ballast each. That together with the halogen high bulb gives out over 10000 lumens I think. :bigsmile:

You’re a flashaholoc indeed and there’s now way my terminator can beat your pair of 55-watt HIDs. Smile

I was able put my BS Terminator to real test recently during the search and rescue activities here in my work area (Leyte landslide last March 1) and I found out that the beam of my BST cannot penetrate thick fog and rain pretty well. Yes my BST is far brighter than my K40 or BC40 or X10 but the landslide area is located in a forested and hilly area where rain and fog is prevalent. At night and under these conditions, the BST can illuminate up to maybe 60 meters away but I can no longer see 300 meters below the ravine or whether there are still boulders at risk of falling at the cliff 100 meters above. Of course without the fog and the rain the BST performs well, but I think I need something brighter to suit my needs. Tired

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3091
Location: Pennsylvania

Thanks for your input JR, since my post I have done a bit more research that has me leaning greatly towards the Terminator. I do agree with you on the benefit that Fenix is a more respected brand that has been around longer and also the 2 year warranty is great. However I’m starting to think I like the form factor of the Term over the TK, I really like the “lantern” style carry handle. With how fat the battery tube is on the TK Fenix should offer a detachable (Terminator style) handle, I feel that would be a great accessory for that light, it could even be made of a composite material. More on the size issue I now see the Term is much smaller than the TK making it much more portable and therefore more versatile. Also as far as the quality, even though one buyer reported a bad switch, from what I’ve read here the Term is quite well made.

After seeing both in the same photo (What you got today #4362) for size (and now price) comparison IMO it really pretty much puts them in a different class from each other. Price wise the Term is starting to look like it is more budget priced than I originally thought, I have found one (a U3) for a really great price (pre-order) that is hard to pass up. Although the TK may now be something I’ll be keeping an eye on for a future purchase, I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a Terminator U3.

"Over 2000000 hours (about 200 years) standby time"  (DQG Tiny 4th)

"27,157 results for zoomable flashlight" (ebay)

 

 

whokilledJR
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 06/03/2012 - 13:05
Posts: 699
Location: Central Highlands, Vietnam

beam0 wrote:
Thanks for your input JR, since my post I have done a bit more research that has me leaning greatly towards the Terminator. I do agree with you on the benefit that Fenix is a more respected brand that has been around longer and also the 2 year warranty is great. However I’m starting to think I like the form factor of the Term over the TK, I really like the “lantern” style carry handle. With how fat the battery tube is on the TK Fenix should offer a detachable (Terminator style) handle, I feel that would be a great accessory for that light, it could even be made of a composite material. More on the size issue I now see the Term is much smaller than the TK making it much more portable and therefore more versatile. Also as far as the quality, even though one buyer reported a bad switch, from what I’ve read here the Term is quite well made. After seeing both in the same photo (What you got today #4362) for size (and now price) comparison IMO it really pretty much puts them in a different class from each other. Price wise the Term is starting to look like it is more budget priced than I originally thought, I have found one (a U3) for a really great price (pre-order) that is hard to pass up. Although the TK may now be something I’ll be keeping an eye on for a future purchase, I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a Terminator U3.

No worries, I like the design of the Terminator as well. You wouldn’t want to add a handle to the TK75 though, the balance, ridging on the body tube and weight makes it feel great in hand. I was lucky as I got to play around with a lot of these multi-emitter lights in store before choosing, but I missed out on the terminator as they didn’t have stock. I originally narrowed the field down to the Sunwayman T60CS or jetbeam RRT3 XML, but was really impressed with the TK75 and ended up paying through the nose for it (almost $300):

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/18532

I’m hearing you on the budget and yes they are different kinds of multi emitter lights. Anyway, sounds like you’re set. Might as well get both in the long run. Wink

hlsgbud
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 05/09/2012 - 02:17
Posts: 57

What is the length of the screw of the lanyard attachment or the depth of the lanyard attachment hole?
What is the maximum length of a screw that can be accommodated?
In case people look for alternative mounts or attachments with 1/4” screw threads.

fullfine
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 03/04/2013 - 04:14
Posts: 42
Location: Houston

Good review,I saw a similar flashlight,EYE40, we can go to compare with this one.
there is the link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Thrunite-Flashlight/EYE40-/_i.html?_fsub=40138010...

Chidwack2
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 00:14
Posts: 326

You excelent review was the major reason for my choosing the Dark Shadow Terminator as my first new light in about a year. I paid just a little more for this light than I did for my beloved Olight M3x and Fenix TK41 lights. Not cheap but a great buy when compared with other lights in it’s class. I’m really impressed with this light. I will see how I feel after a month or two when the newness wears off.
I argee with you on the little green light on the button being quite brite. It does light up the room at night and makes a great night light. I was a little concerned when I first put the batteries in as the green LED in the button was only lighting up one side of the button but after I called Going Gear, they checked another Terminator and found it was the same. Great review and great light.

jakey
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 02/04/2013 - 15:47
Posts: 423
Location: uk up north

Just checked mine and yep only one side lights up,hadn’t noticed that before lol.Doesen’t bother me in the least,i have also gotten used to the handle,.

let there b rock (i mean light)

radiancez567
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/01/2013 - 03:50
Posts: 475
Location: Flash-a-holic world
Chidwack2 wrote:
You excelent review was the major reason for my choosing the Dark Shadow Terminator as my first new light in about a year. I paid just a little more for this light than I did for my beloved Olight M3x and Fenix TK41 lights. Not cheap but a great buy when compared with other lights in it’s class. I’m really impressed with this light. I will see how I feel after a month or two when the newness wears off. I argee with you on the little green light on the button being quite brite. It does light up the room at night and makes a great night light. I was a little concerned when I first put the batteries in as the green LED in the button was only lighting up one side of the button but after I called Going Gear, they checked another Terminator and found it was the same. Great review and great light.

Yes one fatal (or minor) flaw is the green button! It not only is distracting, the button does not light up evenly but brighter on the side with the LED! Didn’t pry open and see, probably it’s two LEDs, one red one green side by side.

But the LED helps in that every time I don’t use the light, I would know how much turn I need to lock out the light.

arjay
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/13/2013 - 02:43
Posts: 42
Location: Philippines

Another fatal flaw is the part where the handle is mounted to the body is not sealed. Do not I repeat DO NOT submerge your terminator in water. Ask me how I found out. Silly

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 days ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8864
Location: Eastern PA

How did you find out and what, if any, damage occured?

FMcamaroZ28
FMcamaroZ28's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 10/08/2012 - 09:05
Posts: 971
Location: New Jersey

Really? its not waterproof?

That’s a shame.

Give us some more details on that.

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 days ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8864
Location: Eastern PA

radiancez567 wrote:
Chidwack2 wrote:
You excelent review was the major reason for my choosing the Dark Shadow Terminator as my first new light in about a year. I paid just a little more for this light than I did for my beloved Olight M3x and Fenix TK41 lights. Not cheap but a great buy when compared with other lights in it's class. I'm really impressed with this light. I will see how I feel after a month or two when the newness wears off. I argee with you on the little green light on the button being quite brite. It does light up the room at night and makes a great night light. I was a little concerned when I first put the batteries in as the green LED in the button was only lighting up one side of the button but after I called Going Gear, they checked another Terminator and found it was the same. Great review and great light.
Yes one fatal (or minor) flaw is the green button! It not only is distracting, the button does not light up evenly but brighter on the side with the LED! Didn't pry open and see, probably it's two LEDs, one red one green side by side. But the LED helps in that every time I don't use the light, I would know how much turn I need to lock out the light.
Glad you like the light so far.  Not sure why you are surprised about the LEDs in the switch since I did mention that there are two and on either side of the switch, along with pics of the switch when lit. Wink
"The switch is translucent silicon and carries the "X" theme of the Terminator with it's molded design.  Behind this cap are red and green LEDs."

"When battery levels are above 2.7v the switch lights up green.  When cell levels are too low the right half will light red to notify you that it is time to swap or recharge your cells."

While it doesn't bother me in the least, being as OCD as I can be at times I can understand how someone else might be bothered by the unevenly lit switch boot.  Hopefully the rest of the awesomeness will distract you from dwelling on it. Wink

Pages