New site themes available to try

Thanks! I thought I was going to have to merge all that. Anyway, I merged in your branch and updated a few things… like applying your new vars to my themes.

But also, you added styling for the heat map, which I guess is a thing the topic list widget uses to indicate how “hot” a topic is. You had 2 (or 3) levels though, while Discourse seems to have 4. So I added support for all 4 levels, and put it into the themes.

This is just a first pass, but here’s how the heat map affects the topic list in 3 themes:

Also, it looks like the flat-dark and reddit themes haven’t been updated, so I didn’t try to do so. Do you plan to update those, or is it okay to leave them as-is?

1 Thank

Lol sorry, it wasn’t organized very well, I hope I didn’t make too much work for you.

The expanded heatmap looks really cool! I didn’t realize at first what those variables did but it’s a pretty neat feature of the Discourse forum.

I will probably update the other two themes a bit when I get the time since there are more options now, but they should be fine as-is, aside from a couple variable changes to match the recent updates you did in the header.

2 Thanks

Relatively small update today. I fixed the colors of the tracking button (before, it went blank on hover), and generally made more clickable elements respond to hover.

3 Thanks

Looks like the user info page changed since I last looked. Will have to update the style for that soon. I could have sworn it was different yesterday, with navigation as a menu on the left, but now it’s tabs along the top.

1 Thank

Ah, yes, sorry about that! I updated the system, and that new change came with it. I had noticed it on Discourse Meta and I couldn’t figure out why they had horizontal tabs while we had a vertical list here, looks like they were testing that branch on Discourse Meta and now they released it for everyone.

1 Thank

The new themes are now available!

5 Thanks

The Reddit and flat-dark themes have been updated and adjusted slightly, I’ve used them all and haven’t noticed any issues so everything should be good to go now.

4 Thanks

… merged into trunk.

I also fixed several more things in the base stylesheet…

• tables in the editor preview and “expand table” view
  • flaming “BM” next to bookmarked threads
  • “topic entrance” widget (click the number of posts in a thread, in the topic list)
  • fixed the layout of top-embedded posts (click the replied-to arrow icon in a post header)
  • a bunch of fixes for mobile
1 Thank

Awesome, thanks so much! Hopefully some time this weekend I’ll have time to apply the new stylesheet and also work on implementing your suggestions here:

1 Thank

And another…

1 Thank

TK’s Dark Theme seems to have a lot more pink/purple/magenta on budgetlightforum.com 's home page.
It doesn’t bother me, but I think it’s new since yesterday. :thinking:

EDIT:
I changed my mind.
I don’t really care for the magenta.
Was it orange before?
Well, whatever it was before, I liked it more before.

Yes, I think sb changed something back to the colors I used. Previously, he had replaced a desaturated purple with a bright orange, or maybe something fell through to the parent theme… not sure what happened exactly.

I think the colors are probably still somewhat in flux as he decides what colors he wants things to be. Personally, I like blue+purple combo, but not everyone has the same taste.

As a programmer I’m probably biased, but I’d definitely recommend installing Stylus and messing with the colors yourself, to customize things to your liking.

Edit: Looks like sb is actively trying things right now on the server… I keep seeing things change color (like the topic list rows). :sweat_smile:

Me neither. :innocent: Personally I never use dark themes, so I have no taste. I’m happy to change those colors to whatever the majority prefers.

Good thing I’m not piloting this airplane eh? :smiley: It’s actually kind of neat how it applies the CSS changes live with no page reload, I don’t even know how it does that.

I assume it polls the server constantly, maybe once each second?

Yeah something like that. I assume it’s via the Javascript framework that it’s built around.

Speaking of Javascript, I’m guessing no one has found a workaround for a certain member of BLF that doesn’t trust Javascript. (I hope I haven’t said too much.)

Ooof, I’m gonna be frank here: the recent change to the thread listing in BLF Theme is terrible IMHO.
Topic title and category beneath it now clash with each other and legibility took a real impact. I’d much prefer to have it the way it was before (why not make this a different theme so everybody can decide for themselves).

Hi there, could you post a screenshot? It might be a problem in a specific case.

I’d prefer to avoid that, as it gets messy for maintenance and administration. The default BLF Theme needs to have sane defaults somewhere toward the middle of most users’ preferences. The recent adjustments can definitely be improved still, but in general there were a lot of complaints about the lack of density in the thread listings, and I agree with them. That was one of the first things that I tried to improve, but I couldn’t find the correct CSS property to do so.

2 Thanks

Here you go.
I think legibility of the thread topics really went down by a lot with this styling … and that’s what the thread listing is for IMHO.
It seems like a wall of text to me now → the categories under the thread topics are too large and mess with easy reading of the topic itself.

1 Thank