Boruit Headlamp Review (EHL0628) - King of the Budget Headlamps?

74 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 5954
Location: Johnstown, PA
Boruit Headlamp Review (EHL0628) - King of the Budget Headlamps?

Boruit EHL0628

So I’ve come across this well-liked budget headlamp which I believe to be much better than the well-liked cheap Boruit RJ-02. The only review I am aware of posted on the web is a Russion review found here (translated via Google Translate). I decided this headlamp deserves its own thread, so here are some pics and a quick review. Doing some investigating I came to the conclusion this light is model #EHL0628, as shown in this listing. The light will most likely not come up by searching this model number. It can be found all overy Ebay or AliExpress by searching “Boruit XM-L2 Headlamp” and weeding through the listings, or I believe this is the link I bought from.

Functionality: The light uses a momentary button. Quick press turns on in a medium mode, another quick press changes to high, another quick press turns off. Pausing at medium (longer than about 1 second) and then quick pressing turns it off. Quick double-press from anywhere, a mode level or even off turns on a medium strobe. A quick press returns to the mode the light was in prior to strobe (a mode level or off). Press-n-hold from off does nothing. Press-n-hold from strobe does nothing. Press-n-hold from a mode level triggers a quasi-ramping of 5 output levels starting from whichever mode level you were at (medium or high) and proceeds downward to low then back to high and downward again until you let go. Low is low, not moonlight. (I’ll measure output in my sphere at some point.) The light fit all of my cells from unprotected flat-top laptop pulls to protected button tops (note: I don’t have any extremely long protected cells). There are springs at both the positive and negative ends. The light can be locked out with a twist of the end cap.

Tint: is a very crisp cool white. It actually doesn’t bother me in use. A 3C side by side with it looks yellow in comparison. The Zanflare F1 cool white even looks warmer compared to this (it does look awfully yellow on a white wall to me). Sounds terribly high K, but like I said, it doesn’t bother me (and my favorite tint is a 5B1 around 4,000 to 4,200K). Here is a pic showing this headlamp in between an XM-L2 3C (left) and the Zanflare F1 in cool white (right):

Heat: I left it on in high mode for about 5 to 6 minutes and the body barely got warm. I expected more heat. The LED on a 20mm board is mounted to the body (as far as I can tell, not a pill or a “lip”). The LED must have thermal glue behind it as the star will not budge at all. I don’t want to break it yet, but plan to remove that star soon. (Thinking to put a Nichia 219C in this light.) It’s a fake XM-L2, the one with the “spots” as seen here:

USB: To access the micro USB port you unthread one of the “caps” which acts as an access cover to the port and charge indicator LED. The indicator is green at all times except while charging when it is red. The light actually operates from a USB power source without a battery installed (doesn’t appear to reach highest output, but that could be due to my 1.0A AC adapter or USB cord I suppose). According to other’s reports on the driver, it has a reputable charge controller. (I didn’t get the driver out as I didn’t want to break it.) In testing, my cell reached exactly 4.20v and there was no charge current measured once the indicator turned green. Currents observed during charging were as follows:

Cell Voltage Current 3.07v 960mA 3.82v 820mA 3.98v 700mA 4.00v 380mA 4.10v 180mA 4.14v 120mA

Unplugging and replugging in USB triggers red charge light for just a second or two and then green.

Beam Pattern: To me the light has a very good headlight beam pattern right out of the package as-is. It’s very floody with a hotspot that’s not too intense and blends nicely into the spill. Spill is quite wide. (I’m curious to try a 60º optic in it for comparison.) It has an OP reflector. Reading other’s comments this light should accept the cheap widely available 21mm optics (like from LEDDNA). At 10 feet back from a white wall, I measured the hotspot (again, not a sharp transition from hotspot to spill, so hard to really nail down) at 2 1/2 feet and total spill at 16 feet.

The light body is a very very light aluminum. This could be a positive aspect considering it is a headlamp, but it does feel cheap due to it. General fit and finish is very good for this price level. Threads are decent and much better than many cheap lights. They are shallow square threads and very very course threaded (caps spin on and off very quickly). O-rings are everywhere they are needed (though dry) and I expect the light to be very watertight.

Tailcap currents on fully charged 4.20v cell (an old, but good protected Trustfire 2400):

Basic 2 Modes:
Medium: 0.40A
High: 1.87A

5 Step Quasi-Ramping:
Level 5: 1.87A
Level 4: 0.84A
Level 3: 0.40A
Level 2: 0.13A
Level 1: 0.05A

Approximate Lumen Outputs on a fully charged cell:
Level 5:
Level 4:
Level 3: (To Be Determined at a Later Date)
Level 2:
Level 1:

Other notes: The lens is glass. The end cap at the driver end (at the power button) is reverse threaded. Emitters wires appear to be very short, so be cautious when desoldering and swapping in a new emitter. The headband while missing the 3rd overhead strap works nicely and I don’t notice the need for the 3rd strap. The light tilts in the pastic mount and rubs against a ridge to hold its angle. I expect with careful use it will last for quite awhile.

Low Voltage Protection:

According to my testing (and trying to pull the cell to measure voltage quickly) it seems to trigger 3 slow flashes at 3.00v but keeps running at regular ouput (no stepdown) and I don’t believe it flashes again – just shuts down when it reaches about 2.70v. That shut-off level might be a little low for some cells.

Pics:

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques


NOTE: Moving my photos from PhotoBucket to Flickr. PM me or post in the thread if you can’t see my images and need me to fix or send a gallery link. PhotoBucket images should remain visible until November 2018.
Edited by: garrybunk on 02/10/2018 - 10:31
zelee
zelee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/04/2013 - 06:53
Posts: 1899
Location: S.E.A

thanks for your review, i got the same headlamp on its way Thumbs Up

Don’t mistake my kindness for weakness.
I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me.

nquinn
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 32 min ago
Joined: 09/11/2017 - 21:55
Posts: 94
Location: DC

What do people generally think of this fake xm-l2? Is it a decent LED?

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 1448
Location: Portugal
garrybunk wrote:
Functionality: The light uses a momentary button. Quick press turns on in a medium mode, another quick press changes to high, another quick press turns off. Pausing at medium (longer than about 1 second) and then quick pressing turns it off. Quick double-press from anywhere, a mode level or even off turns on a medium strobe. A quick press returns to the mode the light was in prior to strobe (a mode level or off). Press-n-hold from off does nothing. Press-n-hold from strobe does nothing. Press-n-hold from a mode level triggers a quasi-ramping of 5 output levels starting from whichever mode level you were at (medium or high) and proceeds downward to low then back to high and downward again until you let go. Low is low, not moonlight. (I’ll measure output in my sphere at some point.) The light fit all of my cells from unprotected flat-top laptop pulls to protected button tops (note: I don’t have any extremely long protected cells). There are springs at both the positive and negative ends. The light can be locked out with a twist of the end cap.

Garry, mind if I add something?
I received the “same” light, from another AliExpress shop called Shuolide (non-affiliated)! One day it was 16€, on the following it was 8€ Cash
I thought that it would have a different UI from this “Boruit”, but it is all the same! I had read your thread before but I was expecting mine to show up to confirm if it had differences or not… And apparently it doesn’t Facepalm

I would just add that from strobe, a double click gives SOS, and another double click gives beacon mode.
After beacon, a double click goes back to strobe. A single click or press & hold shuts the light OFF.

Also, I too some pictures from the LED while ON and this is what we get: the PWM can’t be seen to human eye. Unlike other statements from other Boruit headlamps, this one doesn’t have visible PWM.
From highest to lowest (5 modes):

I also got the same feeling as you comparing this with the Zanflare F1 (that has that greenish ring due to AR coated lens): this one is even more CW Shocked
I put a piece of “diffuser” (a piece of plastic I kept from a box) and it helped to minimize that hotspot and to even the colours. Not good, but better than it was Big Smile

On the first look, I don’t feel confident to modify the LED, due to the length of the wires. Maybe later, with bit more of experience and courage I try to dismantle all that and put a NW or WW LED! If you mod it, let us know how to do it Wink

Also, thanks for your review and for pointing the working of this headlight Wink

DB Custom said: "Hide your billfold, cut up your credit cards... you're a perfect candidate for full blown flashaholism and will soon need dedicated flashlight cabinets. [...] Have fun! Modding is next... :P" 

REVIEWS : Amutorch S3 - XPG3-S3 /  AM S3 vs Neal 219c  /  Amutorch AM30 - XHP70.2 / Nitefox UT20 / Sofirn SF14 & SP10A / Sofirn SP32A / Sofirn SP10B / Odepro KL52 / Acebeam H20 / SS AAA

Mods and tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7                         Convoy S2+ TIR Lenses on: XML2 / XPL-HI                             Others: Convoy S2+ Mini (Biscotti 3 & 1*7135)

Sofirn K6 Discussion: 1 / 2 / 3                                Triple TIR Lenses & XP-G2 

 

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 5954
Location: Johnstown, PA

Ah, good catch on the SOS and Beacon modes. I don’t think I even tried double-clicking while in strobe. At least these modes and well hidden yet accessible. I forgot to mention about the PWM too; I didn’t notice my camera picking it up at all.

I still want to measure the output of mine in stock form in my DIY sphere before I do any modding. The only “modding” I plan is to try out some optics and swap out the emitter (like I said before, likely a 219C).

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques


NOTE: Moving my photos from PhotoBucket to Flickr. PM me or post in the thread if you can’t see my images and need me to fix or send a gallery link. PhotoBucket images should remain visible until November 2018.
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 4653
Location: Houston Texas

Do you guys think the 5 levels are enough or do you sometimes wish you could could adjust it in between them?

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware, lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54477

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70, Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM v1.0 ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55746

7 NarsilM user videos including GT
http://bit.ly/narsil-vid1

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 5954
Location: Johnstown, PA

I haven’t not put it to real world use, but they are 5 well-spaced levels. I think they give a good range of output choices. There is no moonlight, but I’m ok with that. I am glad to see that low is as low as they set it. I generally hate when “low” is set to something like 30%!

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques


NOTE: Moving my photos from PhotoBucket to Flickr. PM me or post in the thread if you can’t see my images and need me to fix or send a gallery link. PhotoBucket images should remain visible until November 2018.
MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 1448
Location: Portugal

garrybunk wrote:
Ah, good catch on the SOS and Beacon modes. I don’t think I even tried double-clicking while in strobe. At least these modes and well hidden yet accessible. I forgot to mention about the PWM too; I didn’t notice my camera picking it up at all.

I still want to measure the output of mine in stock form in my DIY sphere before I do any modding. The only “modding” I plan is to try out some optics and swap out the emitter (like I said before, likely a 219C).

-Garry


Yup, they are just like that, accessible but hidden Wink They will not interfere with regular modes!
Hum, I can’t do those measurements, but it would be nice to get some numbers when you can Wink

I couldn’t try TIR optics as the ones I have (for the S2+) don’t fit. I would have to sand or filled them on the edges and it would ruin them. Maybe others, slimmer, can fit!
I will use the plastic until I get something decent for it! I works well Wink

JasonWW wrote:
Do you guys think the 5 levels are enough or do you sometimes wish you could could adjust it in between them?

My opinion is that unless super bright or super low modes are needed, the 5 existing modes are good enough, well spaced and provide good illumination at a “close range” (meaning: I don’t think it will be very powerful if you need good illumination after 20 meters).

Some beamshots, from highest to lowest. (not the best, but maybe enough for an illustration)

DB Custom said: "Hide your billfold, cut up your credit cards... you're a perfect candidate for full blown flashaholism and will soon need dedicated flashlight cabinets. [...] Have fun! Modding is next... :P" 

REVIEWS : Amutorch S3 - XPG3-S3 /  AM S3 vs Neal 219c  /  Amutorch AM30 - XHP70.2 / Nitefox UT20 / Sofirn SF14 & SP10A / Sofirn SP32A / Sofirn SP10B / Odepro KL52 / Acebeam H20 / SS AAA

Mods and tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7                         Convoy S2+ TIR Lenses on: XML2 / XPL-HI                             Others: Convoy S2+ Mini (Biscotti 3 & 1*7135)

Sofirn K6 Discussion: 1 / 2 / 3                                Triple TIR Lenses & XP-G2 

 

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 4653
Location: Houston Texas

MascaratumB wrote:

I couldn’t try TIR optics as the ones I have (for the S2+) don’t fit. I would have to sand or filled them on the edges and it would ruin them. Maybe others, slimmer, can fit!
I will use the plastic until I get something decent for it! I works well Wink

That should be a size that fits. This one?
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&pr...
Did you pop it out of the plastic housing?

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware, lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54477

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70, Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM v1.0 ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55746

7 NarsilM user videos including GT
http://bit.ly/narsil-vid1

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 1448
Location: Portugal
JasonWW wrote:
MascaratumB wrote:
I couldn’t try TIR optics as the ones I have (for the S2+) don’t fit. I would have to sand or filled them on the edges and it would ruin them. Maybe others, slimmer, can fit! I will use the plastic until I get something decent for it! I works well Wink
That should be a size that fits. This one? http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&pr... Did you pop it out of the plastic housing?

Yup, I tried without the plastic holder. Those are too large for this light! They have to be thinner and shorter than those you linked.
As reference, here are the reflector’s measures:

DB Custom said: "Hide your billfold, cut up your credit cards... you're a perfect candidate for full blown flashaholism and will soon need dedicated flashlight cabinets. [...] Have fun! Modding is next... :P" 

REVIEWS : Amutorch S3 - XPG3-S3 /  AM S3 vs Neal 219c  /  Amutorch AM30 - XHP70.2 / Nitefox UT20 / Sofirn SF14 & SP10A / Sofirn SP32A / Sofirn SP10B / Odepro KL52 / Acebeam H20 / SS AAA

Mods and tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7                         Convoy S2+ TIR Lenses on: XML2 / XPL-HI                             Others: Convoy S2+ Mini (Biscotti 3 & 1*7135)

Sofirn K6 Discussion: 1 / 2 / 3                                Triple TIR Lenses & XP-G2 

 

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 5954
Location: Johnstown, PA

Hmm, I’d swear it was mentioned in one of the Russian threads (there is another I didn’t link) that it accepts optics and I guess I assumed they were the widely available ones.

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques


NOTE: Moving my photos from PhotoBucket to Flickr. PM me or post in the thread if you can’t see my images and need me to fix or send a gallery link. PhotoBucket images should remain visible until November 2018.
MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 1448
Location: Portugal

garrybunk wrote:
Hmm, I’d swear it was mentioned in one of the Russian threads (there is another I didn’t link) that it accepts optics and I guess I assumed they were the widely available ones.

-Garry


Those I have don’t fit, but there may be others! To fit the “bezel” the lenses must be less than 18.8mm, just measured!
The ones I have are larger than that Sad

DB Custom said: "Hide your billfold, cut up your credit cards... you're a perfect candidate for full blown flashaholism and will soon need dedicated flashlight cabinets. [...] Have fun! Modding is next... :P" 

REVIEWS : Amutorch S3 - XPG3-S3 /  AM S3 vs Neal 219c  /  Amutorch AM30 - XHP70.2 / Nitefox UT20 / Sofirn SF14 & SP10A / Sofirn SP32A / Sofirn SP10B / Odepro KL52 / Acebeam H20 / SS AAA

Mods and tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7                         Convoy S2+ TIR Lenses on: XML2 / XPL-HI                             Others: Convoy S2+ Mini (Biscotti 3 & 1*7135)

Sofirn K6 Discussion: 1 / 2 / 3                                Triple TIR Lenses & XP-G2 

 

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 11915
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Thanks gb. Thumbs Up

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

eebowler
eebowler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 08/13/2012 - 11:34
Posts: 1828
Location: Trinidad and Tobago GMT -4

Thanks for the review and PWM evaluation! Thumbs Up

My gratitude to those who are willing and able to help others (in whatever way you can)! Being human is more than just existing for yourself. Smile

Persechini
Persechini's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 07/11/2017 - 03:32
Posts: 372
Location: Brasil

Looks like a nice budget headlamp, but the interface seem abismal D:

In my Tree

My collectionEmisar: D4 (broken) / D4 (mail) / D1 ― Convoy: C8 Clear / S2+ Clear / S2+ / S2+ UV / S6 ― Nitecore: Tube / Thumb / Concept 1 / HC30 / HC33 (mail) / TIP / TIP CRI (mail) / TINI (mail) ― Lumintop: Tool AAA / Tool AA (mail) / HLAAA (mail) / EDC05 (mail) ― Sofirn: SF10 / SF12 / SF14 / SP10A (gifted) ― UTorch: UT01 (mail) ― Trustfire: Z2 ― Skyfire: SF-065 (trashed)

Wildcat
Offline
Last seen: 50 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 06/26/2016 - 00:34
Posts: 158
Location: Russia, Siberia

PWM 16 kHz.
TIR from Convoys works perfect. Swapped led to samsung lh351d hi-cri Thumbs Up

Do not be afraid to cut the lens, you cut off the idle part of the lens and this does not affect the light.

Or you can use TIR 17mm from Skilhunt, it is another good option.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 4653
Location: Houston Texas

Persechini wrote:
Looks like a nice budget headlamp, but the interface seem abismal D:

Why do you say that?
One click on, one click off.
Press and hold to cycle through 5 brightness levels.
Plus hidden strobe, SOS and Beacon using a dbl click.
What’s wrong with that?

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware, lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54477

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70, Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM v1.0 ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55746

7 NarsilM user videos including GT
http://bit.ly/narsil-vid1

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 1448
Location: Portugal

Wildcat wrote:
PWM 16 kHz.
TIR from Convoys works perfect. Swapped led to samsung lh351d hi-cri Thumbs Up

Do not be afraid to cut the lens, you cut off the idle part of the lens and this does not affect the light.

Or you can use TIR 17mm from Skilhunt, it is another good option.

Wildcat, so that the Convoy TIRs fit, you had to cut them, right? Cause the ones I had didn’t fit, but if I file the edges they will probably fit.
Unless my headlight has some difference from Garry’s, because it was not bought as “Boruit” but in Shuolide store. I don’t think they differ, but I may be inducing people in mistake… I hope not!

I guess the 17mm TIR will fit more easily due to the internal measurements of the bezel!!

Thanks for the tip on this Wink

DB Custom said: "Hide your billfold, cut up your credit cards... you're a perfect candidate for full blown flashaholism and will soon need dedicated flashlight cabinets. [...] Have fun! Modding is next... :P" 

REVIEWS : Amutorch S3 - XPG3-S3 /  AM S3 vs Neal 219c  /  Amutorch AM30 - XHP70.2 / Nitefox UT20 / Sofirn SF14 & SP10A / Sofirn SP32A / Sofirn SP10B / Odepro KL52 / Acebeam H20 / SS AAA

Mods and tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7                         Convoy S2+ TIR Lenses on: XML2 / XPL-HI                             Others: Convoy S2+ Mini (Biscotti 3 & 1*7135)

Sofirn K6 Discussion: 1 / 2 / 3                                Triple TIR Lenses & XP-G2 

 

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 5954
Location: Johnstown, PA
JasonWW wrote:
Persechini wrote:
Looks like a nice budget headlamp, but the interface seem abismal D:
Why do you say that? One click on, one click off. Press and hold to cycle through 5 brightness levels. Plus hidden strobe, SOS and Beacon using a dbl click. What’s wrong with that?

+1

Wildcat, thanks for chiming in on this.

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques


NOTE: Moving my photos from PhotoBucket to Flickr. PM me or post in the thread if you can’t see my images and need me to fix or send a gallery link. PhotoBucket images should remain visible until November 2018.
Wildcat
Offline
Last seen: 50 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 06/26/2016 - 00:34
Posts: 158
Location: Russia, Siberia

MascaratumB wrote:

Wildcat, so that the Convoy TIRs fit, you had to cut them, right? Cause the ones I had didn’t fit, but if I file the edges they will probably fit.

Yes, you just need to file the edges that the TIR entered the bezel. With any 3535 LED (xp-g, xp-l, nichia 219, samsung lh351d) TIR rests directly in the star. It is only necessary to add an o-ring between the TIR and the bezel for tightness.
MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 1448
Location: Portugal
Wildcat wrote:
MascaratumB wrote:
Wildcat, so that the Convoy TIRs fit, you had to cut them, right? Cause the ones I had didn’t fit, but if I file the edges they will probably fit.
Yes, you just need to file the edges that the TIR entered the bezel. With any 3535 LED (xp-g, xp-l, nichia 219, samsung lh351d) TIR rests directly in the star. It is only necessary to add an o-ring between the TIR and the bezel for tightness.

Thanks again Wildcat Wink Gonna test the difference between the TIR and the simple diffuser over the lens to see how it works and then check the one that will fit better on the healight!

Thanks for sharing Wink

DB Custom said: "Hide your billfold, cut up your credit cards... you're a perfect candidate for full blown flashaholism and will soon need dedicated flashlight cabinets. [...] Have fun! Modding is next... :P" 

REVIEWS : Amutorch S3 - XPG3-S3 /  AM S3 vs Neal 219c  /  Amutorch AM30 - XHP70.2 / Nitefox UT20 / Sofirn SF14 & SP10A / Sofirn SP32A / Sofirn SP10B / Odepro KL52 / Acebeam H20 / SS AAA

Mods and tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7                         Convoy S2+ TIR Lenses on: XML2 / XPL-HI                             Others: Convoy S2+ Mini (Biscotti 3 & 1*7135)

Sofirn K6 Discussion: 1 / 2 / 3                                Triple TIR Lenses & XP-G2 

 

Persechini
Persechini's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 07/11/2017 - 03:32
Posts: 372
Location: Brasil
JasonWW wrote:
Persechini wrote:
Looks like a nice budget headlamp, but the interface seem abismal D:
Why do you say that? One click on, one click off. Press and hold to cycle through 5 brightness levels. Plus hidden strobe, SOS and Beacon using a dbl click. What’s wrong with that?

clicking goes off >med>high>off, seems terrible if you use any other modes

In my Tree

My collectionEmisar: D4 (broken) / D4 (mail) / D1 ― Convoy: C8 Clear / S2+ Clear / S2+ / S2+ UV / S6 ― Nitecore: Tube / Thumb / Concept 1 / HC30 / HC33 (mail) / TIP / TIP CRI (mail) / TINI (mail) ― Lumintop: Tool AAA / Tool AA (mail) / HLAAA (mail) / EDC05 (mail) ― Sofirn: SF10 / SF12 / SF14 / SP10A (gifted) ― UTorch: UT01 (mail) ― Trustfire: Z2 ― Skyfire: SF-065 (trashed)

ChibiM
ChibiM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 05/09/2011 - 10:25
Posts: 5521
Location: Holland/Japan

Gary, are you trying to hide some trustfire flames? Boy oh boy Wink

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 1448
Location: Portugal
Persechini wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
Persechini wrote:
Looks like a nice budget headlamp, but the interface seem abismal D:
Why do you say that? One click on, one click off. Press and hold to cycle through 5 brightness levels. Plus hidden strobe, SOS and Beacon using a dbl click. What’s wrong with that?

clicking goes off >med>high>off, seems terrible if you use any other modes

The Medium > High is only possible in a short time window.
If a click isn’t done quickly (within 2 seconds), it will be Medium > OFF.
BUT, from Medium, through press and hold you can reach the other levels from Medium > Low > Lower > Highest > High > Medium >…. . After stopping the ramping, and after 2 seconds, a fast click turns it OFF. Within the 2 seconds period, a single click leads it to Highest mode
So it is easy on this to access to other modes Wink
And, as garrybunk and JasonWW said, blinky modes are well hidden Cool

ChibiM wrote:

Gary, are you trying to hide some trustfire flames? Boy oh boy Wink

Big SmileEvil

DB Custom said: "Hide your billfold, cut up your credit cards... you're a perfect candidate for full blown flashaholism and will soon need dedicated flashlight cabinets. [...] Have fun! Modding is next... :P" 

REVIEWS : Amutorch S3 - XPG3-S3 /  AM S3 vs Neal 219c  /  Amutorch AM30 - XHP70.2 / Nitefox UT20 / Sofirn SF14 & SP10A / Sofirn SP32A / Sofirn SP10B / Odepro KL52 / Acebeam H20 / SS AAA

Mods and tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7                         Convoy S2+ TIR Lenses on: XML2 / XPL-HI                             Others: Convoy S2+ Mini (Biscotti 3 & 1*7135)

Sofirn K6 Discussion: 1 / 2 / 3                                Triple TIR Lenses & XP-G2 

 

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 5954
Location: Johnstown, PA
ChibiM wrote:

Gary, are you trying to hide some trustfire flames? Boy oh boy Wink

Big Smile Shhhh!!!

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques


NOTE: Moving my photos from PhotoBucket to Flickr. PM me or post in the thread if you can’t see my images and need me to fix or send a gallery link. PhotoBucket images should remain visible until November 2018.
gravelmonkey
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 20:28
Posts: 137
Location: UK/South America
MascaratumB wrote:
Persechini wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
Persechini wrote:
Looks like a nice budget headlamp, but the interface seem abismal D:
Why do you say that? One click on, one click off. Press and hold to cycle through 5 brightness levels. Plus hidden strobe, SOS and Beacon using a dbl click. What’s wrong with that?

clicking goes off >med>high>off, seems terrible if you use any other modes

The Medium > High is only possible in a short time window.
If a click isn’t done quickly (within 2 seconds), it will be Medium > OFF.
BUT, from Medium, through press and hold you can reach the other levels from Medium > Low > Lower > Highest > High > Medium >…. . After stopping the ramping, and after 2 seconds, a fast click turns it OFF. Within the 2 seconds period, a single click leads it to Highest mode
So it is easy on this to access to other modes Wink
And, as garrybunk and JasonWW said, blinky modes are well hidden Cool

Sorry for the stupid question – are the ramped modes memorised? Do both the modes ramp or just medium/first mode? For example, would it be possible to ramp up on the medium (first mode) to make it higher than the second mode, so it’s essentially high mode first?

Thanks!

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 1448
Location: Portugal

gravelmonkey wrote:
Sorry for the stupid question – are the ramped modes memorised? Do both the modes ramp or just medium/first mode? For example, would it be possible to ramp up on the medium (first mode) to make it higher than the second mode, so it’s essentially high mode first?

Thanks!

When you click to turn the light ON, it always starts on Medium. From then on, to ramp, you press and hold, and the output levels always go down: Medium > Lower > Lowest > High > Medium High > Medium.

So the only memorized mode is Medium, no mater in what level you turned it OFF!

BUT, if you turn it ON and the make a single click from Medium (within 1 second), the level you get is HIGH! And from then on, you can ramp it down in the cycle I mentioned above.

Through press & hold, you always go down. Through single click, in that short period, you can go up.

Whenever you start to ramp down, if you make a single click (within 1 second), the light will go to High. Always within 1 second. After that period, the light shuts OFF.

Hope it helps Wink

EDIT: I tested it again and the period is shorter than 2 seconds, maybe 1.5 seconds, but if you want to take it to High right after turning it ON or starting ramping down, it is better to be within +- 1 second!

DB Custom said: "Hide your billfold, cut up your credit cards... you're a perfect candidate for full blown flashaholism and will soon need dedicated flashlight cabinets. [...] Have fun! Modding is next... :P" 

REVIEWS : Amutorch S3 - XPG3-S3 /  AM S3 vs Neal 219c  /  Amutorch AM30 - XHP70.2 / Nitefox UT20 / Sofirn SF14 & SP10A / Sofirn SP32A / Sofirn SP10B / Odepro KL52 / Acebeam H20 / SS AAA

Mods and tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7                         Convoy S2+ TIR Lenses on: XML2 / XPL-HI                             Others: Convoy S2+ Mini (Biscotti 3 & 1*7135)

Sofirn K6 Discussion: 1 / 2 / 3                                Triple TIR Lenses & XP-G2 

 

gravelmonkey
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 20:28
Posts: 137
Location: UK/South America

MascaratumB wrote:
gravelmonkey wrote:
Sorry for the stupid question – are the ramped modes memorised? Do both the modes ramp or just medium/first mode? For example, would it be possible to ramp up on the medium (first mode) to make it higher than the second mode, so it’s essentially high mode first?

Thanks!

When you click to turn the light ON, it always starts on Medium. From then on, to ramp, you press and hold, and the output levels always go down: Medium > Lower > Lowest > High > Medium High > Medium.

So the only memorized mode is Medium, no mater in what level you turned it OFF!

BUT, if you turn it ON and the make a single click from Medium (within 1 second), the level you get is HIGH! And from then on, you can ramp it down in the cycle I mentioned above.

Through press & hold, you always go down. Through single click, in that short period, you can go up.

Whenever you start to ramp down, if you make a single click (within 1 second), the light will go to High. Always within 1 second. After that period, the light shuts OFF.

Hope it helps Wink

EDIT: I tested it again and the period is shorter than 2 seconds, maybe 1.5 seconds, but if you want to take it to High right after turning it ON or starting ramping down, it is better to be within +- 1 second!

That makes sense! Thank you Beer

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 4653
Location: Houston Texas

So if you’re using it on level 1 out of 5, the lowest level, and you have to turn it off, it won’t turn back on at the same low setting?

So basically, it has no memory.

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware, lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54477

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70, Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM v1.0 ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55746

7 NarsilM user videos including GT
http://bit.ly/narsil-vid1

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 1448
Location: Portugal

JasonWW wrote:
So if you’re using it on level 1 out of 5, the lowest level, and you have to turn it off, it won’t turn back on at the same low setting?

So basically, it has no memory.

That’s it JasonWW Wink It will always turn ON on Medium!

DB Custom said: "Hide your billfold, cut up your credit cards... you're a perfect candidate for full blown flashaholism and will soon need dedicated flashlight cabinets. [...] Have fun! Modding is next... :P" 

REVIEWS : Amutorch S3 - XPG3-S3 /  AM S3 vs Neal 219c  /  Amutorch AM30 - XHP70.2 / Nitefox UT20 / Sofirn SF14 & SP10A / Sofirn SP32A / Sofirn SP10B / Odepro KL52 / Acebeam H20 / SS AAA

Mods and tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7                         Convoy S2+ TIR Lenses on: XML2 / XPL-HI                             Others: Convoy S2+ Mini (Biscotti 3 & 1*7135)

Sofirn K6 Discussion: 1 / 2 / 3                                Triple TIR Lenses & XP-G2 

 

contigo
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 06/15/2016 - 17:17
Posts: 182

Its too bad some of these lights are getting little complicated for the everyday wife/younger person/regular weekend camper.
I can see them remembering the functionality if they use it for a long time and if this is the only light they have, to avoid muscle memory confusion.
IMO so many of these newer flashlights arent made for the everyday person due to UI,

Pages