[2016-06-11] Crackdown on rudeness

508 posts / 0 new
Last post
DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Wow, richbuff. I don’t know specifically what event prompted your post here. But, I also can’t honestly say I don’t know what you’re talking about. Oops

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

cabfrank
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 11/19/2010 - 17:25
Posts: 3102
Location: healdsburg, california usa earth

Neither do I. While you do make some valid points, discussion of various pros and cons, as well as opinions, are allowed and encouraged. I don’t know your specific examples, but in general, I don’t think such posts are rude, or hijacking.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 2025
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Honestly? I can’t remember a single instance where a topic in this forum was hijacked by whiners disliking the concept. Mostly because I’ve never seen more than two or three whiners in this entire community, and they don’t post here since ages ago.

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2165
Location: Canada
DavidEF wrote:
Wow, richbuff. I don’t know specifically what event prompted your post here. But, I also can’t honestly say I don’t know what you’re talking about. Oops

I believe he’s referring specifically to this post:

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1160935#comment-1160935

which he responds to a bit later in the thread.

IMO, I don’t think that it’s hijacking the thread. It’s more about focusing on issues with the design of the light in question. Yes, it’s criticism, but I don’t think it’s hijacking.

My idea of hijacking a thread is taking it completely off-topic with irrelevant posts.

Oh, and I don’t agree that threads about mundane lights don’t get criticism. People will complain that they’re under-powered. That’s okay, it’s just an opinion, but it’s also not hijacking.

All, IMO, of course.

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 2181
Location: PA, USA

Yikes…
posted to the wrong forum…. Maybe? Sick

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6901
Location: The Light

Thread hijacking and necrobumping are debatable topics that some could consider as rude, but please don't use the Rude! button on them. To recap the Rude! button is only for:

Quote:

This button should only be used on posts that are rude, lewd or conflictive .

[...]

Please also remember that one of the valid reasons to use the Rude! button is when a user is being conflictive. This includes starting, engaging in, or otherwise responding to arguments. The best way to stop an argument or make somebody stop trolling is by completely ignoring the post(s) and using the Rude! button when warranted. Also, please do not quote other users’ rude posts, since doing so only gives additional publicity to their rudeness.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7699
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
DavidEF wrote:
Wow, richbuff. I don’t know specifically what event prompted your post here. But, I also can’t honestly say I don’t know what you’re talking about. Oops

I believe he’s referring specifically to this post:

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1160935#comment-1160935

which he responds to a bit later in the thread.

IMO, I don’t think that it’s hijacking the thread. It’s more about focusing on issues with the design of the light in question. Yes, it’s criticism, but I don’t think it’s hijacking.

My idea of hijacking a thread is taking it completely off-topic with irrelevant posts.

Oh, and I don’t agree that threads about mundane lights don’t get criticism. People will complain that they’re under-powered. That’s okay, it’s just an opinion, but it’s also not hijacking.

All, IMO, of course.


I actually have seen certain persons ‘hijack’ threads about certain lights with ongoing posts containing nothing but complaints and arguments about the light in general or the driver design in particular. These perpetrators were told repeatedly that if they’re not interested they should just move on, yet they persisted to trash someone’s product. To me, that’s rude. But, I’m actually VERY conservative with the use of the Rude! button myself. I have a high tolerance for argumentative debate. I don’t usually use the Rude! button unless someone is obviously trying to start a bar fight in a thread I’m participating in.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 day ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Hey guys,
I would like some feedback about a recent post that got marked as rude twice (although the first time it was retracted some time later):

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1177347#comment-1177347

It’s probably about the ‘Rambo firing a machinegun in the air while screaming’ GIF, with the caption “Let’s win this sh*t!”
It’s probably the “sh*t” part that… well, is a bit rude of course, but it’s part of the ‘over the top-ness’ of the whole thing, which i thought would be funny..

What say you, o community?

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 15084
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Jerommel wrote:

Hey guys,
I would like some feedback about a recent post that got marked as rude twice (although the first time it was retracted some time later):

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1177347#comment-1177347

It’s probably about the ‘Rambo firing a machinegun in the air while screaming’ GIF, with the caption “Let’s win this sh*t!”
It’s probably the “sh*t” part that… well, is a bit rude of course, but it’s part of the ‘over the top-ness’ of the whole thing, which i thought would be funny..

What say you, o community?

It is funny, but sb doesn't want any swearing on the forum.

When I notice swearing like that I mark it as rude.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 day ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

raccoon city wrote:

Jerommel wrote:

Hey guys,
I would like some feedback about a recent post that got marked as rude twice (although the first time it was retracted some time later):


http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1177347#comment-1177347


It’s probably about the ‘Rambo firing a machinegun in the air while screaming’ GIF, with the caption “Let’s win this sh*t!”
It’s probably the “sh*t” part that… well, is a bit rude of course, but it’s part of the ‘over the top-ness’ of the whole thing, which i thought would be funny..


What say you, o community?



It is funny, but sb doesn’t want any swearing on the forum.


When I notice swearing like that I mark it as rude.

I can appreciate that, but it’s not the same as me swearing or being rude in a post i.m.o.

I’ll have a look for a replacement GIF then…

SteveMidwest
SteveMidwest's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 04/27/2017 - 19:58
Posts: 147
Location: Iowa

I do know that manufacturers frequent these forums, and the threads within it. I do also know, that every once in a great while. I too post a brief complaint on the direction some manufactures are taking, with these huge multi-thousand lumen lights, and very little heat dissipation capabilities. Lights that can only hold a “burst” mode, for a seemingly ever shorter period of time. 30 seconds?
After all. The CNC milling of fins does cost more, then little to no fins at all. I am sure they would love to get away from as much of that as possible. Again. I do not like this direction.

I feel, that it is my duty to mention from time to time. That I appreciate lights more, if they have been designed with a high ‘sweet spot’. That will handle higher lumens, for a long period of time. If we never mention this, how will they learn how some of us really feel?

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 2025
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Doesn’t mean you have to call names or adopt a “come at me” stance. You don’t need that to argue a point.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9550
Location: Berkeley, California

Nicest productive place on the Internet.
Where people work together to accomplish what they agree the world needs.

kntx
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 04/02/2016 - 07:10
Posts: 194
Location: TERRA

Hi there,i just see my rudeness level mark 2 and i want to know which is the post that are reffering to- Many thanx

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6901
Location: The Light

kntx wrote:
Hi there,i just see my rudeness level mark 2 and i want to know which is the post that are reffering to- Many thanx

Hi there, please check this link:
http://budgetlightforum.com/my-problem-posts

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

kntx
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 04/02/2016 - 07:10
Posts: 194
Location: TERRA

To be honest,the GT’s wait mixed with the lack of.information, have been putting my patience to limits , but i still don’t see a high level of rudeness to be taken in account just like that – the way some are answering to real issues (i mean the one that have no oficial information,shouldn’t be giving answers assumin one thing or other – example : all the lights have been sent,resulting that wasnt true) – anyhow i apreciate the Teams work ,and3 the hard time they facing issues that neither they have answer at all,Texas Ace have admited it(slow communication with Neal) – and please,just don’t you all blame me or other members with flags for the simple fact of saying the truth ,and if that’s the price to say the truth ,i will take it ,even though i wouldn’t expect it from a democratic culture – surely my english ain’t the best(learned though internet),and many times i admit that is hard for people to understand me,but the same way round,isn’t easy for members to handle so many facts that haven’t been taken into account from the beggining of the GroupBuy , so many of them could of be avoided if the communication would of be as good as the beginning

Macka17
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 05/08/2017 - 02:31
Posts: 1026
Location: Queensland Australia

One rude. Per person. Per post. Possible??.

That would stop the multiple user without a LOT of looking for individual posts from his end.
and IF they were all flagged per Rude push. We could ALL see who is a serial hater, hey.

Just a thort.

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 781
Location: Miami, Florida
kntx wrote:
Hi there,i just see my rudeness level mark 2 and i want to know which is the post that are reffering to- Many thanx

Don’t worry about it.

One man’s ‘rude’ is another man’s ‘humor’.

Don’t let the PC dweebs break you down.

Chris

kntx
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 04/02/2016 - 07:10
Posts: 194
Location: TERRA

It would be nice to see the # of Rude! emitted of the members, to make sure some of them are not really abusing of it – also,understand exactly what the Rude! means ,as is not the same provocking others or just defending a point of view,wich might be accepted or not by others

kntx
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 04/02/2016 - 07:10
Posts: 194
Location: TERRA

I might be called by many mathers,but call me rude,now that’s really funy – now,if my answer is at the same level as the question,why would someone have other expectations? I am dealing daily with multiculture persons(300-500 daily) and believe me ,i know where i stand ,with all the respect – i’m still interested to know who called me Rude,as i would be interested to know who am i dealing with

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 781
Location: Miami, Florida
kntx wrote:
I might be called by many mathers,but call me rude,now that’s really funy – now,if my answer is at the same level as the question,why would someone have other expectations? I am dealing daily with multiculture persons(300-500 daily) and believe me ,i know where i stand ,with all the respect – i’m still interested to know who called me Rude,as i would be interested to know who am i dealing with

This is the ‘internet’ buddy, where most people hide anonymously behind nicknames and monikers.

Nobody’s going to fess up. I got one three weeks ago and while I have a clue, I don’t give a damn.

Chris

cabfrank
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 11/19/2010 - 17:25
Posts: 3102
Location: healdsburg, california usa earth

Guys, the rude marks aren’t on your permanent record. They go away. If you aren’t a habitual “offender”, it’s really no harm, no foul, and nothing to worry about. It is kind of a way to self police, since we don’t have moderators on this wonderful and open forum. Our admin, and fearless leader, SB, will let you know if you are about to cross a line, or near the danger zone.

kntx
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 04/02/2016 - 07:10
Posts: 194
Location: TERRA

I I still believe some are afraid of debate and confuse them with arguing; one thing is clear though,the healthy debates are showing who we are ,what we expect from eachother and how can improve everybody – the RudeFlag,aplying it to debates, reminds me of the old times when the rules where known as the most holly thing in the Earth and whoever don’t accept em,to be punished till it changes his mind – i would agree with the Flags for someone who no matter what ,the only interest is to provoke the others,not really having a reason to defend his acts

kntx
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 04/02/2016 - 07:10
Posts: 194
Location: TERRA
cabfrank wrote:
Guys, the rude marks aren’t on your permanent record. They go away. If you aren’t a habitual “offender”, it’s really no harm, no foul, and nothing to worry about. It is kind of a way to self police, since we don’t have moderators on this wonderful and open forum. Our admin, and fearless leader, SB, will let you know if you are about to cross a line, or near the danger zone.

I could give….whatever for the flags,but no,i am here to accept if there was my fault ,in whatever i have written; at least the one that marked me with a RudeFlag would be so kind to explain me what have i done wrong,no?

cabfrank
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 11/19/2010 - 17:25
Posts: 3102
Location: healdsburg, california usa earth

Okay. Maybe whoever ruded you will contact you, but I wouldn’t count on it. I would just let it go and not worry, unless it keeps happening.

g_sintornillos
g_sintornillos's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 6 days ago
Joined: 04/19/2014 - 08:13
Posts: 1146
Location: Tacuarembó, Uruguay UY
kntx wrote:
I could give….whatever for the flags,but no,i am here to accept if there was my fault ,in whatever i have written; at least the one that marked me with a RudeFlag would be so kind to explain me what have i done wrong,no?

The one who did it is not going to explain why it was, in the same way that if it was known who does it would not give the button
They hide behind anonymous

Think that the rude button was set so that when mom denies the child the candy instead of throwing a tantrum or rolling on the floor, hit the button

Therefore: ignore it, as you would with a troll

Sorry for my bad English (gogole transtorla)

kntx
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 04/02/2016 - 07:10
Posts: 194
Location: TERRA

Praising the GT Team it is really a fact that shouldnt be included,the team made an excellent light and i wish ,they shouldnt be here looking for answers of the logistics,but doing the best they know ,which is wonderfull lights – kissing aces’s is not my best ,should i deserve another flag for that? Hm

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10623
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
kntx wrote:
It would be nice to see … exactly what the Rude! means

There are details at the beginning of this “Crackdown on rudeness” thread, and also some details in the site rules:
http://budgetlightforum.com/forum/misc/siterules

The rude button is mostly a way for people to say “hey, calm down”. Getting mad about it is one of the fastest ways to get more rude points, since it’s kind of the opposite of calming down.

Rude points do not trigger any automatic actions. It just lets the admin know where conflict is happening, where attention might be needed to keep the community healthy.

kntx
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 04/02/2016 - 07:10
Posts: 194
Location: TERRA

The last part of “ It just lets the admin know where conflict is happening, where attention might be needed to keep the community healthy.” – is there any conflict i have been involved so a flag could be justified? If there is an issue that needs to be taken care and i am the one demanding a response,that is called conflict?

deleted-200707
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/16/2015 - 13:27
Posts: 1640
Location: mod-X

only in your ‘demanding’

Pages

Topic locked