21700 D4K is available for pre-order

5588 posts / 0 new
Last post
MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 7260
Location: Portugal

I’m loading my cart with a D4V2 and I’m wondering about choosing the 2700K version.

Any major cons of these leds in this flashlight? My first option was going to be the XP-L HI V3 3A 5000K.

Any information is appreciated Thumbs Up

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3564
Location: CT, USA

MascaratumB wrote:
I’m loading my cart with a D4V2 and I’m wondering about choosing the 2700K version.

Any major cons of these leds in this flashlight? My first option was going to be the XP-L HI V3 3A 5000K.

Any information is appreciated Thumbs Up


I don’t have any info on the e21 2700k in the d4v2, but I have the sst20 2700k in a c8 style thrower and it has surprising range and brightness for such a warm tint. I love it in that thrower, abd it has made me consider it in the KR4 when I previously would’ve never considered it

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 7260
Location: Portugal

Artiet59 wrote:
MascaratumB wrote:
I’m loading my cart with a D4V2 and I’m wondering about choosing the 2700K version.

Any major cons of these leds in this flashlight? My first option was going to be the XP-L HI V3 3A 5000K.

Any information is appreciated Thumbs Up


I don’t have any info on the e21 2700k in the d4v2, but I have the sst20 2700k in a c8 style thrower and it has surprising range and brightness for such a warm tint. I love it in that thrower, abd it has made me consider it in the KR4 when I previously would’ve never considered it

Thanks for your feedback Artiet59!

I guess that in a C8 the behaviour of this led will be a bit different, as these will be under optics! Still, it is good to know that the brightness vs tint is good.

My main concerns are regarding heating (compared to XP-L HI) and also about these leds having some “greenish” trail as others SST20 leds have. I would like not having it, hence my question.

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3564
Location: CT, USA

Today received my green D4sV2. i never thought the day would happen, for 6 months i was convinced (because hank told me) that hank wasn’t making anymore green D4sV2 but now i have one. 4000k, it is awesome! throwy and bright!

Side Note- the green is much different then i thought it would be and i like it more than i thought i would. really almost looks gray, very subtle.

Also, this was my second order from hank in the last month that from the day of order to arrival at my house in CT, USA that took 15 days! really happy with hanks shipping times.

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561

alex64
alex64's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 03/16/2017 - 01:42
Posts: 180
Location: Balearic Islands

Hi Hank, will Nichia 219C be available again?

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 1128
Location: Mars

alex64 wrote:
Hi Hank, will Nichia 219C be available again?

I sure would love a E21 2000K D4sV2
Garik F
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 5 days ago
Joined: 09/13/2020 - 12:17
Posts: 61
Location: Russia

Hank site says «The new batch D4V2 does not have lanyard hole for better hand comfortableness, if you need lanyard attachment hole, please send us an email.» – is this true? Do someone have D4V2 from new batch and can post a picture?

led_400
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 04/01/2019 - 04:53
Posts: 11

Just got a new cyan D4Sv2 and noticed there is no more mid-ramp blink when switching between regulated and FET output. Old D4Sv1 and all my D4/D4v2 have it (aside from the e21a of course), wondering if this is due to a driver difference in the new model? or was it taken out of anduril? Can anybody confirm their recent batch D4Sv2 do/don’t have the blink?

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10892
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3 // I get way more privmsgs than I can respond to, so please ask in a public thread if possible, for a faster answer.
led_400 wrote:
noticed there is no more mid-ramp blink … was it taken out of anduril?

A lot of build targets have had the mid-ramp blink removed. Sometimes it’s useful, but quite often, people just think it’s a bug. As drivers get better, the blink gets less relevant, so a lot of lights don’t have it.

The blink makes sense on an original D4. It’s a FET+1 design, and the top of the +1 happens roughly halfway between floor and ceiling. They’re at 65/150 and 120/150.

On D4S v1, it used a FET+3 design, so the channel changes at a higher point. It’s at 83/150. It’s a little awkward there, but still somewhat useful.

On D4S v2, it uses a FET+3+1 design and the top of +3+1 is even higher, at 93/150. When ramping up, this puts the mid-ramp blink right next to the ceiling blink, which is kind of annoying. So when I was removing blinks from lights which didn’t really need it, the D4S v2 was updated too.

If you want it back, enable the “BLINK_AT_RAMP_MIDDLE” option in the code.

led_400
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 04/01/2019 - 04:53
Posts: 11

Awesome! Thanks ToyKeeper

Jasetaylor
Jasetaylor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/16/2020 - 05:29
Posts: 137
Location: West Sussex
Garik F wrote:
Hank site says «The new batch D4V2 does not have lanyard hole for better hand comfortableness, if you need lanyard attachment hole, please send us an email.» – is this true? Do someone have D4V2 from new batch and can post a picture?

Hank is in short supply of the holes. Wink

chouster
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 02/20/2014 - 15:05
Posts: 746
Location: germany

I’d really like a 21700-body for my D4S’s. At a reasonable price I think they’d sell like hot cake.

TMaxxJJ
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 02/01/2018 - 03:18
Posts: 481
Location: England

chouster wrote:
I’d really like a 21700-body for my D4S’s. At a reasonable price I think they’d sell like hot cake.

It really wouldn’t take much to make the K1/K9.3 battery tube fit. They’re very close in size and the threads look the same


And if I squeeze hard enough, it works!
Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 1128
Location: Mars
Jasetaylor wrote:
Garik F wrote:
Hank site says «The new batch D4V2 does not have lanyard hole for better hand comfortableness, if you need lanyard attachment hole, please send us an email.» – is this true? Do someone have D4V2 from new batch and can post a picture?

Hank is in short supply of the holes. Wink


Haha

I actually have noticed that no matter what lanyard I use on my 9.3’s or D4SV2’s, it doesn’t sit easily on the tail cap when I set it on a flat surface pointing up at the ceiling. I always have to monkey around with the lanyard to get it to sit flat

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada
Garik F wrote:
Hank site says «The new batch D4V2 does not have lanyard hole for better hand comfortableness, if you need lanyard attachment hole, please send us an email.» – is this true? Do someone have D4V2 from new batch and can post a picture?

Must be pretty recent. I just ordered a D4v2 one month ago, and it has the hole. Not that I have any plans to use it, so hole or not, wouldn’t matter to me.

clientequator
clientequator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 12/05/2018 - 15:42
Posts: 286

Lux-Perpetua wrote:

Is there any way to safely (non-destructively) dismantle the USB charging circuit if I wanted to reach the positive terminal of the battery tube, i.e. the opposite side of what you see on the picture? Call me a cleaning maniac but I frequently clean contact parts like springs, brass buttons, tube ends etc. with alcohol to have the lowest possible contact resistance between battery and circuitry. Fiddling with a cotton swab in the tube's obscurity is maybe not the best solution. Wink

 

I see loneoceans show the circuit:

You can see it here https://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1740271#comment-1740271

 

loneoceans also post details of the driver

Photo from loneoceans, not taken by me

Penny wise but ...
Penny wise but Lumen foolish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 11/19/2020 - 23:00
Posts: 56
Location: Florida, USA

Anyone have a beam shot of this one? I'd love to see a 2k light next to a CW light 

chouster
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 02/20/2014 - 15:05
Posts: 746
Location: germany
TMaxxJJ wrote:
chouster wrote:
I’d really like a 21700-body for my D4S’s. At a reasonable price I think they’d sell like hot cake.
It really wouldn’t take much to make the K1/K9.3 battery tube fit. They’re very close in size and the threads look the same ! And if I squeeze hard enough, it works!

I really like that! Imagining this in one color and the tube a bit shorter, cause it wouldn’t need the charger… Would be really awesome if you ask me.

Short after I had the idea of how nice a 21700 D4S-body would be, it also came to my mind if the K9.3 body would fit the D4S head. Thanks for testing, it’s a little bummer that it doesn’t fit.

Heck, I would even buy another D4S if there was an option for a 21700 body that fit’s my other D4S’s.

I love the D4S for it’s output and especially for the beam shape. The Ledil Angie-S is by far the best multi-emitter optic I’ve seen so far.

I’m wondering if other D4S owners would be interested and if Hank would consider offering this.

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3564
Location: CT, USA

^ +3

Meaning I would buy two 21700 bodies for my current D4sv2’s and another D4sv2 with that body. I love the idea of having a 21700 body for the D4sv2, WITHOUT charging. So it’d be shorter than the K1 version. Thanks for posting the pic Tmaxx, looks awesome IMO

And I totally agree that the optic look and throw is a major reason I like the light so much.

Oh, and while we’re making a wishlist for Hank, an optional deep carry clip for the new 21700:D4sv2 body would be amazing Thumbs Up

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561

puglife2
puglife2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 10/07/2017 - 17:56
Posts: 581
Penny wise but Lumen foolish wrote:

Anyone have a beam shot of this one? I’d love to see a 2k light next to a CW light 

I don’t have a cw light but here’s a beamshot of my E21A 2000K d4v2

Penny wise but ...
Penny wise but Lumen foolish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 11/19/2020 - 23:00
Posts: 56
Location: Florida, USA

Thanks Pug !

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada

I have the 2700K SST-20 version, and I find it too warm for outdoors. Maybe around a campsite (where firelight is the main source of light) would be good. It’s a fantastic tint for indoors, though!

I will get the 2000K to try it out, though I expect it will just be for novelty. It might be nice to avoid blue-light exposure before bedtime.

cetary
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 20:41
Posts: 234
Location: virginia

WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
I have the 2700K SST-20 version, and I find it too warm for outdoors. Maybe around a campsite (where firelight is the main source of light) would be good. It’s a fantastic tint for indoors, though!

I will get the 2000K to try it out, though I expect it will just be for novelty. It might be nice to avoid blue-light exposure before bedtime.

I find 2700K E21A to be fairly neutral outdoors. I only really notice the light start to get warm at 2200K. I prefer warmer tones outdoors to cut glare walking around others, and to prevent insect attraction.

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3564
Location: CT, USA
puglife2 wrote:
Penny wise but Lumen foolish wrote:

Anyone have a beam shot of this one? I’d love to see a 2k light next to a CW light 

I don’t have a cw light but here’s a beamshot of my E21A 2000K d4v2

!{width:75%}https://i.imgur.com/4oQW1Q4.jpg!


Although the lumens is lower with these emitters, would you say it is still sufficiently bright outdoors? I’m on the fence with my next kr4 having the e21a (2700k) or the sst20 (2700k).

I have the sst20 2700k in a c8 style thrower and it is plenty bright, so I know 4 of them would defintely be bright. I guess I’m just hesitant thinking the e21a would be less then half the lumens..

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 1128
Location: Mars
Artiet59 wrote:
puglife2 wrote:
Penny wise but Lumen foolish wrote:

Anyone have a beam shot of this one? I’d love to see a 2k light next to a CW light 

I don’t have a cw light but here’s a beamshot of my E21A 2000K d4v2

!{width:75%}https://i.imgur.com/4oQW1Q4.jpg!


Although the lumens is lower with these emitters, would you say it is still sufficiently bright outdoors? I’m on the fence with my next kr4 having the e21a (2700k) or the sst20 (2700k).

I have the sst20 2700k in a c8 style thrower and it is plenty bright, so I know 4 of them would defintely be bright. I guess I’m just hesitant thinking the e21a would be less then half the lumens..

Of my 3 K9.3’s, my favorite one for outdoor use is XP-L HI V2 5D 4.000K on CH1

The E21 2700K and 2000K’s are too warm for outdoor use in my opinion

supreme
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2020 - 12:18
Posts: 255

Will the KR4 ti 18350 tube fit the KR1? If so, can you then use the clip on the KR1 18350?

mbp
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 04/01/2019 - 11:00
Posts: 417
Location: Baltimore, MD
supreme wrote:
Will the KR4 ti 18350 tube fit the KR1? If so, can you then use the clip on the KR1 18350?

The aluminum KR 18350 tube will not allow use of the clip. The TI version will, but on the KR1 the larger head will be bending the clip out and creating a lot of tension, but it is at least possible.

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3564
Location: CT, USA

I use the clip on my 18350 KR1 (copper and aluminum). The clip does not work on aluminum KR4 18350, but does on titanium kr4 18350 setup.

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

The BLF GT with SFT40 (2300lm, 2700m+ @ 30 seconds!)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79561

hodor
hodor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 07/11/2018 - 03:58
Posts: 1127

Anyone have beamshots of D4S with W2? Interested to see how it compares to XPL-HI flavour and KR1 W2.

Rayoui
Rayoui's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/06/2019 - 00:38
Posts: 691
Location: Portland, OR
hodor wrote:
Anyone have beamshots of D4S with W2? Interested to see how it compares to XPL-HI flavour and KR1 W2.

There is one on Vinh’s site.

Pages