The 11th Annual Old Lumens challenge - Winners announced!

Welcome to the 11th Annual Old Lumens challenge!

CONTEST DURATION:
This year’s contest has officially started as of Saturday September 23rd 2023 and ends December 31st 2023 for a total duration of 100 Days.

WHAT IS THE OLD LUMENS CHALLENGE?
This is a contest which challenges BLFers to build a lighting device from scratch! All skill levels are welcome!
For the history of this contest, and to view all previous contest threads and entries, check out the Old Lumens BLF Contest Archive 2013 - 2022.

CONTEST RULES:
You may enter a single build into one of the following three categories: (you are allowed to change categories during the contest)

• Hand Made (Basic Tools)

Your light must be made from scratch.
You must make a build thread, show images, and explain the build as it progresses towards completion.
No outside services are allowed.
Entries should be portable and battery operated.

All small hand tools are acceptable, as well as these power tools:
Soldering irons and other heating equipment
Electric drill / drill press
Dremel style rotary tool
Electric saws
Disc or belt sander

You may use some manufactured flashlight components: reflectors and other optics, drivers, LEDs and MCPCBs, O-rings, centering rings, springs, switches, switch boots, and pocket clips.
You may use any PCB whether you designed it or not, and you may acquire it from Osh Park or elsewhere.
You may use any firmware or code whether you wrote it or not.
You may not use manufactured flashlight parts such as a bezel, head, pill or drop-ins, body, or tail cap.
All kinds of raw materials can be used: sheet metal, wire, tubing and pipe, metal and plastic containers, bottles and jars, extrusions, wood, plastics, fabrics, epoxy, glass, stone, leather, rubber, etc.

• Machine Made (Advanced Tools)

Your light must be made from scratch.
You must make a build thread, show images, and explain the build as it progresses towards completion.
No outside services are allowed.
Entries should be portable and battery operated.

All manually operated and computer controlled machine tools are allowed, such as:
Lathes
Milling Machines
3D Printers
As well as all hand tools and other fabrication equipment.
You may use some manufactured flashlight components: reflectors and other optics, drivers, LEDs and MCPCBs, O-rings, centering rings, springs, switches, switch boots, and pocket clips.

You may use any PCB whether you designed it or not, and you may acquire it from Osh Park or elsewhere.
You may use any firmware or code whether you wrote it or not.
You may not use manufactured flashlight parts such as a bezel, head, pill or drop-ins, body, or tail cap.
All kinds of raw materials can be used: sheet metal, wire, tubing and pipe, metal and plastic containers, bottles and jars, extrusions, wood, plastics, fabrics, epoxy, glass, stone, leather, rubber, etc.

• Modified Light: (Anything Goes!)

You must show us something that was modified by you and how it was done.
You can make a new thread or link to a mod you have posted on BLF within the stated time frame of the contest.
You can build or modify by any means at your disposal and your mod can also be some form of self built flashlight attachment(s), clips, lanyards, paracord wraps, pouch, or other related paraphernalia.
If your build breaks the rules of the other categories, you may enter it in this category.

HOW TO ENTER:
Create an appropriately titled build thread in the Giveaways and Contests forum category.
Please include your username, the name of the contest, and which category you are entering. (You may change categories if you wish.)
Reply to this thread with the link so that the organizers can add your build to the list of entries.
Links to mods may also be entered by replying to this thread.
All entries will be listed in post #2 of this thread.

QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, AND CONCERNS:
Feel free to reply to this thread. If you wish for a private exchange, please PM The_OL_Contest account.

JUDGES:
Contest organizers will solicit BLF members in order to find judges. The identities of the judges are not revealed.

JUDGING CRITERIA:
Up to 10 points are awarded in each of the following five categories:

• Skill Level / Build Quality: Judged with consideration to the person’s access to tools, materials and abilities. Is the finished build functional looking good? Was it difficult to make? Was the craftsmanship top notch with the tools used?

• Uniqueness / Inventiveness / Innovation: Is the light unique, one of a kind, or does it operate in a special way? Can something similar be readily purchased? Were new technical innovations introduced? Were new firmware, drivers, or PCBs created?

• Build Thread Quality: Did the contestant do a good job of showing and explaining the steps involved in the build? Were the difficulties encountered along the way documented and resolved? Was it easy to follow along?

• Shown Operational: Did the contestant show the light operating, describe its functions, take beam shots, videos, etc.?

• Subjective Evaluation / Bonus Points: The judge may assign these points at their discretion.

PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARDS:
There’s more than one way to win! In addition to the official judgement, a thread will be created which contains a poll, and the BLF community will vote for their favorite build. This poll will run for fourteen days. Contest participants may vote for other entrants but not for themselves.

PRIZE SELECTION:
The winner of the Hand Made category has 1st choice of prize, followed by winner of the Machine Made category, followed by winner of the Modified Light category.
Runner up of the Hand Made category has the 4th choice of prize, followed by runner up of the Machine Made category, followed by runner up of the Modified Light category. Prize selection will continue in this way as long as any prizes are left to award.
A special prize will be awarded to the winner of the people’s choice awards.

SPONSORS AND PRIZES:

On behalf of the BLF community, THANK YOU for your generosity!

Convoy
Convoy is offering a choice of any flashlight from the Convoy store!
UPDATE: Convoy has also donated two 3X21D SBT90.2 flashlights as prizes. (3x P42A cells included with each light)

CountyComm is offering two prizes, a $100 CountyComm Gift Card and a $200 CountyComm Gift Card!

Nealsgadgets

Nealsgadgets is offering a NLIGHTD L1 LEP Flashlight!

SKYLUMEN
SKYLUMEN is offering a Weltool T1vn with SFT40 6500K or SFT40 5000K + User programmable DriverVN4, OR a “Mystery Flood” light, OR a “Mystery Throw” light!

13 Thanks

This year’s entries:

Hand Made category:

Haedesz: Haedesz' 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Hand Made Category
INeedMoreLumens: INeedMoreLumens' 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Hand Made Category
koef3: [FINISHED] Köf3's 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Hand Made Category
MtnDon: MtnDon’s 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Hand Made Category
Tomogchi: tomogchi's entry for the 11th annual old lumens contest - hand made category
YuvalS: YuvalS’s Hand Made Class, 11th Annual BLF/OL contest entry topic

Machine Made category:
GorgTech: GorgTech´s 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Machine Made Category. FINISHED
PeyoX: PeyoX's 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Machine Made Category

Modified Light category:

Hunter-Jackson: Hunter-Jackson's entry for the 11th annual Old Lumens challenge. Modified flashlight category. FINISHED
James C: James C's Entry for the 11th Annual Old Lumens Contest - Modified Lights
saltyboi6704: Saltyboi6704's 11th Annual Old Lumens Entry - Modified Category
Scallywag: Scallywag's 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Modified Light Category
Skylight: Skylight's 11th BLF OL contest entry, modified flashlight category
YBF650: Triple channel RGB D1K

1/1/2024 Update:
Time’s up! These are the builds that were completed during the building period:

Hand Made category:

koef3: [FINISHED] Köf3's 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Hand Made Category
MtnDon: MtnDon’s 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Hand Made Category
Tomogchi: tomogchi's entry for the 11th annual old lumens contest - hand made category
YuvalS: YuvalS’s Hand Made Class, 11th Annual BLF/OL contest entry topic

Machine Made category:
GorgTech: GorgTech´s 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Machine Made Category. FINISHED

Modified Light category:

Hunter-Jackson: Hunter-Jackson's entry for the 11th annual Old Lumens challenge. Modified flashlight category. FINISHED
saltyboi6704: Saltyboi6704's 11th Annual Old Lumens Entry - Modified Category
Scallywag: Scallywag's 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Modified Light Category
Skylight: Skylight's 11th BLF OL contest entry, modified flashlight category
YBF650: Triple channel RGB D1K

4 Thanks

Congratulations to everyone who completed this year’s challenge.

This year’s challenge winners are:

Hand Made Category

Machine made category

Modified Light Category

MtnDon gets first choice of prize, followed by GorgTech, next Hunter-Jackson, next Koef3, next saltyboi6704, and so on. PMs incoming!

Here’s a group photo of this year’s builds:

Thanks again to all participants, judges, and sponsors, for helping to make this year’s event a success!

1 Thank

I can’t believe it’s another year gone by already.

1 Thank

Nicel! No data analysis or past performance review, just open the gate and have at it :zap::zap::zap:

Thanks Hoop for organising the contest again, its great to see Old Lumens legacy continue through this contest another year.

If any one want to enter the contest but doesn’t have the money i might be able to help you out, i have a bunch of spare parts i can donate to builds. I have many spare LED’s from XHP-70s to SST-40s and 219c and random parts like gaskets, optics, o-rings, a few random drivers nothing to fancy.

Message me if you are interested.

3 Thanks

I was only thinking about this the other day when I saw something at work I’d like to try to use…

1 Thank

That’s really cool of you!
If you run out of spare parts let me know.

Ah man, I am pretty new here and didn’t even know this was a thing.
I don’t think I can get a completely new build done with the timer already ticking - but I do want to try!

Cool contest.

1 Thank

Go for it. There’s plenty of time.

2 Thanks

Huge thanks to the organizers this year, and best wishes to all the participants! Really looking forward to it.

3 Thanks

Looking forward to seeing what people enter this year.

I might enter it myself (in the unrestricted category), I’ve been building up parts for an RGB Emisar D1K and this might get me to finally assemble it. Fishing all the wires through the shelf is gonna be tricky, all 9 of them.

2 Thanks

Nice to see the Old Lumens Contest up!!! :+1:

Thanks @Hoop for running it once again!

I am not sure if I will be in or this year’s competition, but 69 days is still lot of time, and… in the last 2 years I made my mind almost when the curtains were closing, so…I’ll see if one of my delayed projects will be up for this.

In any case, today I carried The Bistrix Mule, which is my mod from last year’s OL Contest!

Good luck to all the contestants and, at least, I hope to see some nice builds and/or mods :wink:
Cheers folks :beer:

1 Thank

Thanks for taking on the responsibilities for managing the 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge. I wish to enter in the Hand Made category. No idea yet what will come of my effort this year. I have started a topic over here at the end of this link.

1 Thank

So just a single entry total? Or up to one entry per category?

Thanks for putting this on. I’m looking forward to it!

1 Thank

You may enter a single build into one category. One entry total.

Make it a good one!

3 Thanks

It’s my intention to build a light for this challenge in the Hand Made Category.

I started a Topic here:

First time I hear of this. I’m not even a modder (except on the firmware side) much less a builder, but will be watching with interest.

Good luck to all participants!

1 Thank

Thank you to Convoy for sponsoring this year’s contest!
Convoy
Convoy is offering a choice of any flashlight from the Convoy store!
UPDATE: Convoy has also donated two 3X21D SBT90.2 flashlights as prizes. (3x P42A cells included with each light)

11 Thanks