Talk about future projects and donation topic

627 posts / 0 new
Last post
Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3838
Location: Vancouver, Canada

vwpieces wrote:
Which of those TIR pics are triple or quads? Those were the discussion.

The first pic is.
The one beside it is reflector, as you can tell from the sharp spot. (same light but 3 different LEDs)
The third is quad-reflector.

Was it not obvious from the pics?

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 9527
Location: Houston Texas

Enderman wrote:
JasonWW wrote:

Wrong. First of all, tir style triples/quads using a 26650 body with side switch already exist, so there is no point in making another one.

1) Soda can lights like the BLF Q8 already exist. 18650 lights like the BLF A6 already exist.
The point was to make a better and cheaper one. Not to make some revolutionary strange thing never seen before.

Wrong. The point IS to make a revolutionary strange thing never seen before. Something that does not currently exist on the market. Something in between the size of a Q8 and A6. The Q8 head is 59mm (4 × 18650) and the A6 head is 24mm (1 × 18650. I think we should build (a triple or quad reflector) with a head roughly 35mm to 45mm using 1 × 26650. This has never been done as far as I know.
Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3838
Location: Vancouver, Canada

JasonWW wrote:

Wrong. The point is to make a revolutionary strange thing never seen before.

WRONG.
The point is to make something that people will want to buy over other options on the market.
Whether it is cost or performance or both.
Just because something has a specific size head with some number of reflectors in it that is different from another flashlight doesn’t mean it is magically going to make it better in some way such that people will be interested in purchasing it.

Maybe you don’t realize this, but the BLF projects are done for what the majority wants, not for what you want.

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 2165
Location: PA, USA

Enderman wrote:
vwpieces wrote:
Which of those TIR pics are triple or quads? Those were the discussion.

The first pic is.
The one beside it is reflector, as you can tell from the sharp spot. (same light but 3 different LEDs)
The third is quad-reflector.

Was it not obvious from the pics?

May be obvious to you because you posted them.
The side by side pics were the question. PT18 as described, the one next to it was not described and not knowing the distance makes it impossible to tell what it is.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3838
Location: Vancouver, Canada

vwpieces wrote:

May be obvious to you because you posted them.
The side by side pics were the question. PT18 as described, the one next to it was not described and not knowing the distance makes it impossible to tell what it is.

But, you can easily tell from the spot that it’s not a TIR.
If you look up flashlight wall beam profiles you can almost always guess what type of optic it’s using without even knowing what light it is.

Anyway, I made it pretty obvious why TIRs are better for close up use (since he said he didn’t care about throw).
Manufacturers know this, which is why you see so many EDC and non-thrower lights these days that aren’t reflector based.

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 2165
Location: PA, USA

And FWIW the Q8 has a very distinct 4 petal flower pattern outside.
The 3 emitter C8F reflector has what looks like 9 petals that only appear on the highest levels. Tight spot. Much nicer than the Q8.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 9527
Location: Houston Texas

Enderman wrote:

2) Who told you that TIRs make bad spill?? Have you ever used one?
The benefit of a TIR over a reflector is that you get a more gradual transition between spill and spot unlike reflectors which have everything the same brightness and then a blinding sharp spot in the middle.
This is better for up-close use.

You also don’t get a flower shaped spill like you do with multi-reflector flashlights.

.

I only know of tir what I’ve seen first hand. I’ve only had one light that used tir, which I did mention, it is the DQG Tiny 7x xpg2. It uses 7 small tir lenses and puts out 2500 lumen. Here is a pic.

It has a beam pattern like your example picture. It has a defined hotspot which is surrounded by a fairly strong corona, then a very wide and weak spill. When you have it set at a comfortable brightness level, say 600 lumen, you can see the hotspot just fine, but everything beyond the corona is pitch black. The same 600 lumen from a reflector light, a Convoy S2+ for instance, gives you a similar hotspot, but more spill lighting so you can see the left, right and ground as you walk. I don’t have to wave the light around constantly to see.

I’ve also worked with some wide angle 60° tir lenses, but I usually only put them in certain lights for close up work. Like my headlights which I only need to see out to 10 feet or so. I usually use them at arms length when I’m working on something.

So I don’t know of all the styles of tir lenses out there. Are there any that can give a similar beam pattern to a reflector light? Maybe one that is partially frosted? I haven’t seen any like that. If I can find something like that I would gladly use it to convert an existing 26650 light as there are many to choose from.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 9527
Location: Houston Texas

Enderman wrote:

3) Maybe instead of being rude and just saying “WRONG” you can spend some time doing research on different types of optics.

I don’t mean to sound rude. That’s just the way I talk. Sorry if I come off that way.

In my experiences I only have seen one type of beam pattern from tir lenses. Strong hotspot and corona (in different diameters of course) with very weak spill lighting. I have not seen any patterns that resemble a reflector flashlight. If they do exist, I would be grateful to learn of it.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3838
Location: Vancouver, Canada

JasonWW wrote:

I don’t mean to sound rude. That’s just the way I talk. Sorry if I come off that way.

In my experiences I only have seen one type of beam pattern from tir lenses. Strong hotspot and corona (in different diameters of course) with very weak spill lighting. I have not seen any patterns that resemble a reflector flashlight. If they do exist, I would be grateful to learn of it.


My point is that they often don’t resemble a reflector flashlight, which is what makes them better for close range.
If you want to have bright spill from a reflector flashlight you need to turn the brightness up a lot, which results in an overly bright hotspot and dim spill.
For example:

.
.
A tir gives a brighter spill and less hotspot, as you can see here:

(both pics are of TIR)
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 9527
Location: Houston Texas

Enderman wrote:
JasonWW wrote:

Wrong. The point is to make a revolutionary strange thing never seen before.

WRONG.
The point is to make something that people will want to buy over other options on the market.
Whether it is cost or performance or both.
Just because something has a specific size head with some number of reflectors in it that is different from another flashlight doesn’t mean it is magically going to make it better in some way such that people will be interested in purchasing it.

Maybe you don’t realize this, but the BLF projects are done for what the majority wants, not for what you want.


Your confused here. I was not refering to the BLF forum in general. I was refering to the point of making the light I had described. It is a unique light that is not on the market. Well, the Sofirn C8F is basically the same, but with a smaller 18650 battery. The C8F seems to be a big hit around here, especially the xpl version. I was wanting to make a similar light, but with a bigger 26650 battery. I think it would be very popular here.
vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 2165
Location: PA, USA

Enderman wrote:
vwpieces wrote:

May be obvious to you because you posted them.
The side by side pics were the question. PT18 as described, the one next to it was not described and not knowing the distance makes it impossible to tell what it is.

But, you can easily tell from the spot that it’s not a TIR.
If you look up flashlight wall beam profiles you can almost always guess what type of optic it’s using without even knowing what light it is.

Anyway, I made it pretty obvious why TIRs are better for close up use (since he said he didn’t care about throw).
Manufacturers know this, which is why you see so many EDC and non-thrower lights these days that aren’t reflector based.

I have single emitter Spot TIR light that resembles that reflector light pic. You can easily see that its not a TIR… Doubtful.
I also have shallow reflector lights that have a wide spot and hardly any spill.

And a zoomie adjusted to all spill is the best for up close.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3838
Location: Vancouver, Canada

JasonWW wrote:

Your confused here. I was not refering to the BLF forum in general. I was refering to the point of making the light I had described. It is a unique light that is not on the market. Well, the Sofirn C8F is basically the same, but with a smaller 18650 battery. The C8F seems to be a big hit around here, especially the xpl version. I was wanting to make a similar light, but with a bigger 26650 battery. I think it would be very popular here.

I think you’re the one who is confused, this thread is specifically for future BLF projects like the Q8 or A6, not for individual builds or mods that one or a few people would want.
This thread was made during the beginning of the GT thread because a lot of people had ideas for stuff that wasn’t actually going to go into the GT so they put them in this thread for future projects.
For example, 26650, handle, short tube, etc.

Also, the C8F is not a very popular light, maybe you are thinking of the C8?
The C8 is a single reflector 18650.
It is extremely popular because it is cheap and still has good specs and quality.

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 2165
Location: PA, USA
JasonWW wrote:
I was refering to the point of making the light I had described. It is a unique light that is not on the market. Well, the Sofirn C8F is basically the same, but with a smaller 18650 battery. The C8F seems to be a big hit around here, especially the xpl version. I was wanting to make a similar light, but with a bigger 26650 battery. I think it would be very popular here.

May want to look into a EE X7 triple too. It is 26650 but uses the Ledil optic. Ledil has less artifacts than the smaller Carclo. But the three legs do make themselves know on the outer spill. However the $13 C8F host build may be about half the total cost of the X7 triple.

Agro
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 3388
Location: Ślōnsk

I drew another light that I want today….

driverless 10180 thrower based on Osram SYNIOS P2720 DMLQ31.SG and Khatod PL1670UN.
I don’t have any 10180 discharge curves so it’s hard for me to predict the output.
Theoretically, if the LED was driven to the peak level we see on koef3 charts and was cooled as well, it would do ~37 kcd.
I guess estimating 20 kcd is conservative enough.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 9527
Location: Houston Texas

Enderman wrote:
JasonWW wrote:

In my experiences I only have seen one type of beam pattern from tir lenses. Strong hotspot and corona (in different diameters of course) with very weak spill lighting. I have not seen any patterns that resemble a reflector flashlight. If they do exist, I would be grateful to learn of it.

My point is that they often don’t resemble a reflector flashlight, which is what makes them better for close range.
If you want to have bright spill from a reflector flashlight you need to turn the brightness up a lot, which results in an overly bright hotspot and dim spill.
For example:

.

You posted an extreme example. That is definetly a dedicated thrower light like a C8 or bigger TN42, etc… Those types of light are not good at all for walking at night or general purpose use. Those are more a specialty light.

A better example of what I mean by general purpose would be the convoy S2+ or convoy L6. Textured reflectors would be common. I guess it’s hard to describe. Here are some beam shots from my Supfire which has a big xhp70 in a shortened, OP, C8 reflector.

In this pic you can see the hotspot which gives some distance as well as the bright spill. This is great for walking at night. This pic is it on turbo. For regular walking around the 1500 to 2000 lumen range works very well. Then you briefly have 4,000 lumen on turbo to see extra far should you need it.


.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 9527
Location: Houston Texas

Enderman wrote:

A tir gives a brighter spill and less hotspot, as you can see here:

(both pics are of TIR)

Is there a way to combine both of those beam patterns?
Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3838
Location: Vancouver, Canada

JasonWW wrote:

You posted an extreme example. That is definetly a dedicated thrower light like a C8 or bigger TN42, etc… Those types of light are not good at all for walking at night or general purpose use. Those are more a specialty light.

That is an R40.
It is a 26650 single reflector flashlight with a 40mm head.
The reflector is like 35mm.
.
.
Earlier you said that you do not care about throw, and now you’re trying to argue that your reflector lights are better because they give a bright hotspot for more throw.

Looks like you have some inconsistencies in your argument… Facepalm

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 2165
Location: PA, USA

Enderman wrote:

I think you’re the one who is confused, this thread is specifically for future BLF projects like the Q8 or A6, not for individual builds or mods that one or a few people would want.
This thread was made during the beginning of the GT thread because a lot of people had ideas for stuff that wasn’t actually going to go into the GT so they put them in this thread for future projects.
For example, 26650, handle, short tube, etc.

Also, the C8F is not a very popular light, maybe you are thinking of the C8?
The C8 is a single reflector 18650.
It is extremely popular because it is cheap and still has good specs and quality.

Yes as You said Future Projects.
Jason would like to see a triple emitter reflector 26650 light. So would I. If it gets to be a BLF project that would be awesome. Because you do not want it, that does not exclude it. If Sofirn makes it happen all the better and we wont have to wait a year for it.

The C8F is a popular light. Especially for the new version only being a few weeks old. Most members are still waiting for theirs to arrive. I know that over 50 hosts were sold in 3 days. Several members also mentioned it in the Best light 2017 thread. Pretty good for the time it has been released. Doubt it is going to be D4 popular but still better than most recent production releases.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3838
Location: Vancouver, Canada

vwpieces wrote:

Yes as You said Future Projects.
Jason would like to see a triple emitter reflector 26650 light. So would I. If it gets to be a BLF project that would be awesome. Because you do not want it, that does not exclude it. If Sofirn makes it happen all the better and we wont have to wait a year for it.

Just because you two want it doesn’t mean that 500 other people will.
Anyway, I’m not pretending to know if other people want it or not, I’m explaining to you why a triple reflector light will suck, regardless of what the majority wants.

If you want it for throw, a single reflector is much more area efficient and will give higher lux for the same diameter, even if you choose to go with a more powerful emitter in the case that you want a few thousand lumens.
If you want it for short range use, a TIR is better because you don’t need a big head diameter, you can have a more portable tube light that outputs the same amount of lumens and gives a better beam profile for close up use without an obnoxiously bright hotspot and dim spill and cloverleaf shape.
A multi-reflector is basically just a waste, a compromise between both while not excelling at either or, just for the sake of “being different”.

vwpieces wrote:

The C8F is a popular light. Especially for the new version only being a few weeks old. Most members are still waiting for theirs to arrive. I know that over 50 hosts were sold in 3 days. Several members also mentioned it in the Best light 2017 thread. Pretty good for the time it has been released. Doubt it is going to be D4 popular but still better than most recent production releases.

Wow, 50, I’m sure that’s a lot compared to the thousands sold for the Q8 or A6 or other lights…
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 9527
Location: Houston Texas

Enderman wrote:
JasonWW wrote:

Your confused here. I was not refering to the BLF forum in general. I was refering to the point of making the light I had described. It is a unique light that is not on the market. Well, the Sofirn C8F is basically the same, but with a smaller 18650 battery. The C8F seems to be a big hit around here, especially the xpl version. I was wanting to make a similar light, but with a bigger 26650 battery. I think it would be very popular here.

I think you’re the one who is confused, this thread is specifically for future BLF projects like the Q8 or A6, not for individual builds or mods that one or a few people would want.
This thread was made during the beginning of the GT thread because a lot of people had ideas for stuff that wasn’t actually going to go into the GT so they put them in this thread for future projects.
For example, 26650, handle, short tube, etc.

Also, the C8F is not a very popular light, maybe you are thinking of the C8?
The C8 is a single reflector 18650.
It is extremely popular because it is cheap and still has good specs and quality.


I think your just trying to argue for arguments sake. If you wouldn’t want to buy the light I was suggesting, then fine. Your not required to. I’m of the opinion it would be very popular.

So you have reached the allotted time I’m willing to dedicate to just one member here, which is a few hours. I’m needed elsewhere. Good day to you sir.

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 2165
Location: PA, USA

Enderman wrote:
vwpieces wrote:

Yes as You said Future Projects.
Jason would like to see a triple emitter reflector 26650 light. So would I. If it gets to be a BLF project that would be awesome. Because you do not want it, that does not exclude it. If Sofirn makes it happen all the better and we wont have to wait a year for it.

Just because you two want it doesn’t mean that 500 other people will.
Anyway, I’m not pretending to know if other people want it or not, I’m explaining to you why a triple reflector light will suck, regardless of what the majority wants.

If you want it for throw, a single reflector is much more area efficient and will give higher lux for the same diameter, even if you choose to go with a more powerful emitter in the case that you want a few thousand lumens.
If you want it for short range use, a TIR is better because you don’t need a big head diameter, you can have a more portable tube light that outputs the same amount of lumens and gives a better beam profile for close up use without an obnoxiously bright hotspot and dim spill.
A multi-reflector is basically just a waste, a compromise between both while not excelling at either or, just for the sake of “being different”.

vwpieces wrote:
The C8F is a popular light. Especially for the new version only being a few weeks old. Most members are still waiting for theirs to arrive. I know that over 50 hosts were sold in 3 days. Several members also mentioned it in the Best light 2017 thread. Pretty good for the time it has been released. Doubt it is going to be D4 popular but still better than most recent production releases.
Wow, 50, I’m sure that’s a lot compared to the thousands sold for the Q8 or A6 or other lights…

That was 50 HOSTS in 3 days.
Let me repeat it in case you missed it again…
That was 50 HOSTS in 3 days.

I like the versatility of the C8F triple Reflector more than the Triple TIR Optic X6 or X7 lights I have. The reflector it better overall. Yes I personally own both types.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3838
Location: Vancouver, Canada

JasonWW wrote:

I think your just trying to argue for arguments sake. If you wouldn’t want to buy the light I was suggesting, then fine. Your not required to. I’m of the opinion it would be very popular.

So you have reached the allotted time I’m willing to dedicate to just one member here, which is a few hours. I’m needed elsewhere. Good day to you sir.


If someone said that 2+2=5 would you just let them make incorrect decisions or would you try to educate them?

Even if you don’t want to listen to me at least there are others who read this thread now and also in the future, at least they will learn something about optics when they actually pay attention..

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 9527
Location: Houston Texas

vwpieces wrote:

May want to look into a EE X7 triple too. It is 26650 but uses the Ledil optic. Ledil has less artifacts than the smaller Carclo. But the three legs do make themselves know on the outer spill. However the $13 C8F host build may be about half the total cost of the X7 triple.

Are you thinking this Ledil optic might give a beam pattern a bit closer to a reflector light? I’ll look into it. Thanks.
Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3838
Location: Vancouver, Canada

vwpieces wrote:

That was 50 HOSTS in 3 days.
Let me repeat it in case you missed it again…
That was 50 HOSTS in 3 days.

I like the versatility of the C8F triple Reflector more than the Triple TIR Optic X6 or X7 lights I have. The reflector it better overall. Yes I personally own both types.


Those 3 days were probably the peak of their sales anyway.

What X6 and X7 are you talking about? The olight X6 and X7? Because neither of those are TIR.
The reflector is definitely going to be better for throw than a TIR.
However, if you look back a few pages, you will see that Jason said “I don’t care about throw.” And in that case a TIR is objectively better.
Later on he started talking about throw and changing his argument because it seems like he can’t decide on what he wants.

Anyway, for the people reading this thread that actually want to learn something, the best optics for short range use are in this order:
1) zoomie style light like a led lenser, gives almost perfectly uniform flood with no hotspot
2) tir of non-led-lenser style, for example olight or carclo, which gives a brighter spill and softer hotspot
3) reflector light which has dim spill and a bright sharp hotspot

For long range use the order is like this:
1) aspheric or led lenser zoomie which is 100% hotspot and 0 spill
2) reflector light which has dim spill but a sharp hotspot
3) tir which has a soft hotspot
.
.
.
No offense, but deciding you want to make a flashlight with “X head diameter and Y number of reflectors” just because no other flashlight has “X diameter and Y number of reflectors” is not very smart.

The correct way to go about building a good light is to decide on a performance target (eg for short range use, long range, what lux and lumens, etc) then try to fit that in a portable size.
OR
Decide on a size limit (eg 26650 tube light, so head is no bigger than the body) and then try to get the highest performance out of that size.

The reason the Q8 and A6 were so successful is not because they were unique in terms of head size and number of reflectors. Because they were not. They were successful because they were affordable and outperformed the competition in the same class.

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 2165
Location: PA, USA
JasonWW wrote:
vwpieces wrote:
May want to look into a EE X7 triple too. It is 26650 but uses the Ledil optic. Ledil has less artifacts than the smaller Carclo. But the three legs do make themselves know on the outer spill. However the $13 C8F host build may be about half the total cost of the X7 triple.
Are you thinking this Ledil optic might give a beam pattern a bit closer to a reflector light? I’ll look into it. Thanks.
I prefer the C8F reflector but I want a bit more throw than a TIR can offer. I just got some Ledil cute optics in that no one has offered. They are kinda wierd and I haven’t tried them. But the Cute SS can also be sanded and polished out to a clear surface. But for now thats the 26650 option for the time being. Others have asked so I do think Sofirn will go for it.
Jinx
Jinx's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 10/16/2011 - 11:35
Posts: 1077
Location: England

JasonWW wrote:
Wow, that was 5 years ago. You can’t even buy it anymore, I assume. Flashlight technology moves fast. I think it’s time for another 26650 light.

We could take the A8 and install a TA driver running NarsilM, add a side switch and maybe make the head a little bigger to fit a triple reflector with xpl emitters. Like a 26650 version of the Sofirn C8F. IDK, but I like those kind of lights.

Wow this thread moved on overnight!

I like that idea, the A8 was a great little light. A really nice size to EDC in a jacket during colder months.

I have to say though that Endermans suggestion of TIR does appeal. I often carry a S41 and a C8 walking the dog. The S41 is superb for short range, beautiful flood and high CRI, it gets 99% of the use, the C8 gets used occasionally for distance spotting, that’s it.

Can you get a mixed angle TIR for a quad setup? Ie two at 60degree, two at 90degree (or whatever angles they come in) to give a nice comprise?

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 2165
Location: PA, USA

mixed angle TIR for a quad setup does not exist. Kinda where the discussion went off about.
If you can stand the C8 size, you will only need one light like the C8F. It is more versatile than the Fixed TIR. The C8F triple reflector will offer more throw on High yet have usable spill. Bigger than the S41 but you will only need the one light.

C8F also has great mod potential to use a driver with Narsil or the D4 ramping_IOS since it uses an E-SW. Want even more throw install some XP-L HI emitters. No TIR to hold them back.
My C8F has the Fet+1 and ramping_IOS. Kinda like a Q8 in a practical, usable size and better beam profile.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 9527
Location: Houston Texas

Jinx wrote:

I have to say though that Endermans suggestion of TIR does appeal. I often carry a S41 and a C8 walking the dog. The S41 is superb for short range, beautiful flood and high CRI, it gets 99% of the use, the C8 gets used occasionally for distance spotting, that’s it.

Can you get a mixed angle TIR for a quad setup? Ie two at 60degree, two at 90degree (or whatever angles they come in) to give a nice comprise?


I like the idea of using a TIR myself since there are so many existing lights to use as hosts. It just needs the right type of tir optic. I’m not sure it exists. Maybe a narrow beam triple with 2 of the optic lenses clear and one frosted? Or maybe have the whole optic covered in a very light frosting so as to give a bit more spill light intensity? I might do some experimenting on my DQG 7x. Adding any type of frosting does seem like it would rob you of lumens, though.

A build like this is not one BLF would need to be involved in.

Using a reflector, on the other hand, would require a manufacturer to actually build a unique body for it.

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 2165
Location: PA, USA

Just keep in mind you need the corresponding MCPCB to the TIR if you go multiple emitters. That limits the TIR options to only a few. Now those few options need to fit into a light.

Careful taking that DQG Tiny apart, if you do. I have seen several strip domes.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 9527
Location: Houston Texas

vwpieces wrote:
Just keep in mind you need the corresponding MCPCB to the TIR if you go multiple emitters. That limits the TIR options to only a few. Now those few options need to fit into a light.

Careful taking that DQG Tiny apart, if you do. I have seen several strip domes.


I wasn’t gonna take it apart. I was going to try some frosted tape over 1, 2 and 3 lenses to see what effect it has. Simple and cheap.

Pages