【convoy】219B R9080 TEST

6103 posts / 0 new
Last post
ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3158
Location: CT, USA

Barkuti wrote:

Correllux wrote:
tactical_grizzly wrote:
Hi Simon,

I have an S12 UV and I'm interested in installing one of your 8A 12 Group drivers into it. Is it compatible or would 8A be too much current?

Thanks!

Might look to see if that emitter was covered in Djozz's tests but a quick peek at the data sheet for it says a max of 1.4A and with UV emitters that max is usually accurate (as opposed to white emitters which we happily overdrive the heck out of). That driver would optimistically give 2.5A per emitter which I suspect would fry them in short order unless legit tests have shown otherwise.

Guess you are speaking about the “8A driver for CULPM1.TG”, doesn't it? That is a buck driver, it will deliver the full output current for as long as its input voltage is high enough. In this sense it behaves as the linear variable load drivers like the 6A units you mention, if only with higher efficiency as it is a switching driver.

Correllux says “optimistically 2.5A per emitter”, I guess you are talking about a triple. But 8A / 3 = 2.6̅ = ≈2.667A, which is slightly higher. Don't presume, but measure.

If you want to make 100% sure that the driver doesn't frys your emitters the key is to change its onboard sense resistor. For this you first take a close look at the driver board, find the sense resistor and note down its value. The sense resistor is a bigass, low value precision resistor which should be near the edge of the board. I think it is a 10mΩ unit in such driver. Then, you calculate the driver's sense voltage: Vsense = I × R, and so Vsense = 8A × 10mΩ = 80mV. With this in mind, you can now calculate the maximum regulated current for other sense resistor values: for 20mΩ, I = Vsense / R = 80mV / 20mΩ = 4A; for 18mΩ, I = 80mV / 18mΩ = 4.4̅A = ≈4.444A; for 16mΩ, 5A; for 15mΩ, 5.3̅A = ≈5.333A…

Just in case it is of help had this link with 1206 R015s for sale in my wishlist, which is nice enough I think. However, I do not know 100% sure if the onboard sense resistor is 1206… Innocent 

 

By the way, I wouldn't build triples in parallel, it's waay better to set them in series and use a boost driver, because:

  • With leds in series the current is exactly the same for each emitter.
  • A boost driver (like this “XHP35” one) ensures full output drive current and power regardless of input voltage or battery state of charge (as long as it meets the bare minimum, of course).

Of course you need a compatible size and arrangement triple MCPCB (KD has this thing, but no idea if it would fit).

 

wow, thank you for this great info, Barkuti! I won't use it for UV anything (no interest in uv atm), but I will use this for other 3x/4x emitter builds + adjusting driver outputs! Appreciate it!

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

Champfc3000
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 10/14/2020 - 15:41
Posts: 23
Location: New york

Hello simon is green 18350 short tube coming back for s2+ anytime soon?

Simon Mao
Simon Mao's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 12/06/2018 - 23:44
Posts: 1229
Location: China,Dong guan

tactical_grizzly wrote:
Hi Simon,

I have an S12 UV and I’m interested in installing one of your 8A 12 Group drivers into it. Is it compatible or would 8A be too much current?

Thanks!

The VF value of UV LED is much higher than that of ordinary white LED. I use a 6A drive and the test result is 2.4A current. I have not try 8A driver, The current should be higher, maybe 3-4A

Simon Mao
Simon Mao's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 12/06/2018 - 23:44
Posts: 1229
Location: China,Dong guan
Superstocker wrote:
Simon Mao wrote:
ArtieT59 wrote:

Dear Simon,


 


any word on that new single 26800, sbt90.2, side switch, 80mm+ head size, thrower??


 


is the driver done yet?


 


Will a sft40 driver be available for that + for M21e anytime soon?


 


Thank you!

Drivers are all in production

Any chance we will see just the host for sale soon, since that’s not dependent on driver supply? And will there be a non-e-switch version. Thanks!

The mechanical switch cannot withstand such a large current.

Simon Mao
Simon Mao's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 12/06/2018 - 23:44
Posts: 1229
Location: China,Dong guan
Champfc3000 wrote:
Hello simon is green 18350 short tube coming back for s2+ anytime soon?
Yes, in production, but it is rectangular thread, I don’t think it is suitable for your flashlight.
tactical_grizzly
tactical_grizzly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2020 - 14:54
Posts: 146
Location: North Texas

Simon, I see you’ve released a remote switch for L21B. Is it possible to remove the remote switch from the L21B tailcap and install it in any other Convoy 21700 flashlights with a tailswitch? Perhaps S12 IR?

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 5576
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

tactical_grizzly wrote:
Hi Simon,

I have an S12 UV and I'm interested in installing one of your 8A 12 Group drivers into it. Is it compatible or would 8A be too much current?

Thanks!

Are you speaking about the 12-groups switching buck driver with up to 8A output?

Despite what Simon says, using a high current driver means that if the conditions are met (this is, enough effective input to output voltage difference, and low enough emitter Vf), the current at the emitter could go above the maximum it can tolerate. When I say “effective” I say it because the input voltage at the driver diminishes as the input current goes up, because of current path resistances (springs, switch, etc.).

The correct solution is always to adjust the output current at the driver, this requires adjusting the sense resistor value in it. The advantage of this approach is that all the driver modes will upscale or downscale proportionally. For the 12-groups high current buck driver, swapping the stock R010 with a 40mΩ unit (R040) nets a maximum of 2A at the output, and with a 33mΩ one (R033) the maximum output current would be 2.4̅2̅A = ≈2.425A.

Mon, 10/18/2021 - 18:15

The human mind, and its programming, is at the forefront of a particular battle of The Light vs evil dark forces. Nearly every human being on this beautiful planet “Earth” has some sort of negative mind programming in its mind. And you better take care of your mind programming, or someone else will in this wicked world.

Please avoid fully quoting lenghty posts, namely with nested quotes. Trim quotes down to the essential. Helps with neatness and legibility. Thanks.

I recommend saying no to Covid vaccine. Listen to your spirit or soul. Innocent 

Keanu Reeves may need your help. Join his Telegram channel here.

stephenk
stephenk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 55 sec ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 05:09
Posts: 1856
Location: Australia

Can I ask which S2+ UV light would be best for photography illumination (such as a model with UV body paint). What is a “safe” on-time?

Simon Mao
Simon Mao's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 12/06/2018 - 23:44
Posts: 1229
Location: China,Dong guan
tactical_grizzly wrote:
Simon, I see you’ve released a remote switch for L21B. Is it possible to remove the remote switch from the L21B tailcap and install it in any other Convoy 21700 flashlights with a tailswitch? Perhaps S12 IR?
I sold it as you said before. But the sale was not good, so I gave up.
Simon Mao
Simon Mao's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 12/06/2018 - 23:44
Posts: 1229
Location: China,Dong guan
stephenk wrote:
Can I ask which S2+ UV light would be best for photography illumination (such as a model with UV body paint). What is a “safe” on-time?

All ultraviolet rays will cause certain harm to the human body.
Among UVC UVB and UVA, the damage of UVA is the least.

Zvezdnadevuszka
Zvezdnadevuszka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Joined: 08/06/2021 - 17:26
Posts: 9
Location: EU

Any info about the availability of the SFT-40?

mattlward
mattlward's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 06/19/2015 - 09:20
Posts: 3235
Location: Illinois, USA

So, once again… I have to sing the praises of Simon and Convoy. My S11 FC40 developed an odd driver issue, on mode option 1.2 the 2 low modes worked fine and the three upper modes were all the same dim brightness and the light was always indicating low battery voltage. Contacted Simon about the issue since I wanted to be sure to get the correct driver ordered… he just sent one.

Put it in today and the S11 is as good as new. I really like this one and the M21B with the FC40, would hate to not have either one of them.

Thanks for the excellent service Simon!

EDC rotation:
FW1A, LH351D 4000k (second favorite)
FW3A, LH351D 3500k
FW3A, SST20 FD2 4000k
FW3A, Nichia 4000k sw40 r9080 (favorite light!)
FW3A, Cree XP-L Hi 5A3
Emisar D4V2, SST20 4000k

Champfc3000
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 10/14/2020 - 15:41
Posts: 23
Location: New york

Simon Will you be getting any more green 18350 body for s2+ with trapezoidal thread?

Simon Mao
Simon Mao's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 12/06/2018 - 23:44
Posts: 1229
Location: China,Dong guan

Champfc3000 wrote:
Simon Will you be getting any more green 18350 body for s2+ with trapezoidal thread?

the threads will be unified into rectangular shape, so I have no plans to continue to produce 18350 tubes with trapezoidal threads,sorry
Scallywag
Scallywag's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 01/11/2018 - 22:23
Posts: 2200
Location: Ohio, United States

JaredM wrote:
I did tests of 4 different Osrams: HHL532, CSLNM1, CSLPM1, and CULPM1.

1mm² are peaking around 4.75A and 2mm² are best at about 6.75A. 3030 vs 4040 doesn’t honestly seem to make a real world difference.

I’m sure instant turn-on numbers max out at up to an amp or so higher, but this is not sustainable beyond 1 or 2 seconds. I take my readings at ~5sec, or basically right after they settle in. Continuing from there, they’ll gradually fall as the heatsink warms up. Bone cold, instant startup values are highly misleading and not something you should spec a flashlight to, but they will look impressive on paper.

!{width:100%}https://i.imgur.com/pbWckNL.png!


I’d be a lot more interested in how these outputs are holding up after a few minutes.
JaredM
JaredM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 13:33
Posts: 2386
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Scallywag wrote:
JaredM wrote:
I did tests of 4 different Osrams: HHL532, CSLNM1, CSLPM1, and CULPM1.

1mm² are peaking around 4.75A and 2mm² are best at about 6.75A. 3030 vs 4040 doesn’t honestly seem to make a real world difference.

I’m sure instant turn-on numbers max out at up to an amp or so higher, but this is not sustainable beyond 1 or 2 seconds. I take my readings at ~5sec, or basically right after they settle in. Continuing from there, they’ll gradually fall as the heatsink warms up. Bone cold, instant startup values are highly misleading and not something you should spec a flashlight to, but they will look impressive on paper.

!{width:100%}https://i.imgur.com/pbWckNL.png!


I’d be a lot more interested in how these outputs are holding up after a few minutes.

I can test this sometime but in theory the bottleneck of the thermal pad should be apparent on very short timescales. Longer tests basically should show the difference of the thermal path further away from the led.

Heat starts at the LED junction then goes through: Die > Substrate > Solder > MCPCB > TIM > Heatsink > Air. Anything after the MCPCB should not have an impact in any difference between the two packages. My strategy for testing this would be to actually float the MCPCB in air and do an output test that way at saturation temps. The only thing I can see making a difference at longer timescales is the loss of the thermal ‘driving force’, i.e. the delta Tj and Tmcpcb.

The tests that I do though are pretty aligned with real-world use though. Always open for debate, but let’s do that in another thread maybe Thumbs Up

move
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 02/24/2021 - 10:31
Posts: 27

Hi, newbie here.
I thought best the ask here.

I’m planning to order S2+ with LH351D (5000K or lower) or maybe SST40…
My question is, what is the different between “Ar-coated glass lens, Smooth” vs “Glass, Orange peel” lens.

I have a flashlight with TIR optic and I really like it. Shall I get also some TIR optics? Is it hard to change by myself?
(Also there are 4 different option type on Convoy store. Bead, flat, matte and striped with several degree)

Thank you so much!
Any suggestions will be a big help Smile

Lens type: Ar-coated glass lens
Reflector: smooth
—————
Lens type: Glass
Reflector: Orange peel

tactical_grizzly
tactical_grizzly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2020 - 14:54
Posts: 146
Location: North Texas

I’ve created a new post here with some of my thoughts on how Convoy’s user interfaces can be improved. I would love for the rest of the community to take a look and tell me what you think, and I also hope Simon will take a look and see if any of these improvements are feasible.

LTC
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 07/29/2019 - 04:34
Posts: 301
Location: AMK, SG

Hi Simon, it has been more than 2 months since the announcing of Quad TIR and it’s production.

How is the progress?

Simon Mao
Simon Mao's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 12/06/2018 - 23:44
Posts: 1229
Location: China,Dong guan

LTC wrote:
Hi Simon, it has been more than 2 months since the announcing of Quad TIR and it’s production.

How is the progress?

I got the sample some time ago, and the host is already in production.

LTC
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 07/29/2019 - 04:34
Posts: 301
Location: AMK, SG

Nice… Thumbs Up

Simon Mao wrote:
LTC wrote:
Hi Simon, it has been more than 2 months since the announcing of Quad TIR and it’s production.

How is the progress?

I got the sample some time ago, and the host is already in production.

bugmenot2
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 03:43
Posts: 9
Location: Earth

Hey Simon,

  1. Any idea when SFT40’s are going to be back in stock?
  2. Also, do you have any plans for adding charging to more lights, such as the M21B?
  3. Will the Remote Tail Switch for the L21B also work for other lights, such as the M21B?

Thanks a lot for how you help the community!

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3158
Location: CT, USA

Simon,

 

I recieved my M21e today, such a nice light!

 

I installed my sft70 LED in the s21b xhp50.2 light and it worked fine on mode 1-3, turned blue on mode 4 (100% output).

 

I then installed the SFT70 into my m21e and it worked up until about 75% ramp, then turned blue and the light started smoking. I thought i blue the sft70..

 

But now my m21e wont turn on with the xhp70 in it either. I put that back in and it wont work.

 

Can i buy just the driver for the m21e from you?

 

does anyone know what i did to my driver?  i wouldve thought that just the led would burn out if anything, and i was completely OK with doing that for the sake of expirementing.. I didnt think it would ruin the driver.. 

 

 Anyway.. TIA

 

 

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3158
Location: CT, USA

Simon, any idea when SFT40 will be back in stock?

 

even for sale in your lights again -

 

Lights with sft40 like the m21a, m21c, or L21a?

 

Thank you!

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

Haukkeli
Online
Last seen: 3 min 44 sec ago
Joined: 06/24/2021 - 05:27
Posts: 161
Location: Suomi
ArtieT59 wrote:

Simon,


 


I recieved my M21e today, such a nice light!


 


I installed my sft70 LED in the s21b xhp50.2 light and it worked fine on mode 1-3, turned blue on mode 4 (100% output).


 


I then installed the SFT70 into my m21e and it worked up until about 75% ramp, then turned blue and the light started smoking. I thought i blue the sft70..


 


But now my m21e wont turn on with the xhp70 in it either. I put that back in and it wont work.


 


Can i buy just the driver for the m21e from you?


 


does anyone know what i did to my driver?  i wouldve thought that just the led would burn out if anything, and i was completely OK with doing that for the sake of expirementing.. I didnt think it would ruin the driver.. 


 


 Anyway.. TIA


 


 

I always check if I put led wires wrong way if nothing happens after install. Or if you reflowed it to pcb 180° wrong way.

jasontheguitarist
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2019 - 11:45
Posts: 406
Location: South Carolina

I got my AA/14500 13 group drivers, I also got an orange T3 with an SW35. The stainless screw on clip is way better than the stock clip.

The wires on the 14500 driver are backwards. The red is negative and the black is positive. All three were this way.

Unfortunately I broke one of the drivers tightening the retaining ring in my Jaxman E3. The pliers slipped and broke some stuff off the back of the board. Double sided drivers may be unavoidable, but they are annoying.

I also put one into a Thorfire TG06, It works perfectly in that light as well. It’s also sold as the Alonefire X380. Same host with slightly different reflector.

Sari33
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2019 - 05:43
Posts: 461
Location: EU

jasontheguitarist wrote:
I got my AA/14500 13 group drivers, I also got an orange T3 with an SW35. The stainless screw on clip is way better than the stock clip.

The wires on the 14500 driver are backwards. The red is negative and the black is positive. All three were this way.

Unfortunately I broke one of the drivers tightening the retaining ring in my Jaxman E3. The pliers slipped and broke some stuff off the back of the board. Double sided drivers may be unavoidable, but they are annoying.

I also put one into a Thorfire TG06, It works perfectly in that light as well. It’s also sold as the Alonefire X380. Same host with slightly different reflector.


How is rosy sw35 from Convoy compared to others like Azhu’s?
jasontheguitarist
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2019 - 11:45
Posts: 406
Location: South Carolina
Sari33 wrote:
How is rosy sw35 from Convoy compared to others like Azhu’s?

The only 219b I bought from Azhu are the SW45K. The SW35s from Convoy are my first. They are very nice though.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17283
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Post #6000!

(at the moment.)

Pilotboy
Pilotboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 27 sec ago
Joined: 10/17/2020 - 23:14
Posts: 241
Location: England
raccoon city wrote:

Post #6000!


(at the moment.)

Nice! Beer

You got #5000 as well, if I remember correctly.

Pages