I did a major rewrite of Anduril. For a long time, I tried to avoid changing the UI much, and stuck to only small changes so it could keep backward compatibility. This was holding it back though, so I finally did all the bigger changes I had been avoiding. The new version is called Anduril 2.
Current status 2020-09-30: Almost done; just finishing up a few little things.
What changed? A lot:
- Uses a “simple UI” by default. This has only the core functions, like a normal flashlight — on (ramp), off, lockout, and battery check. The rest of the features require switching to advanced mode.
- Simple mode has no config menus, and no weird blinky modes to get stuck in.
- Simple mode’s ramp, off/lockout behavior, and thermal regulation settings are configurable… but not while simple mode is active. To configure those things, go to advanced mode to make changes, then return to simple mode.
- Simple mode is enabled after each factory reset.
- Made Lockout mode easier to use as a safer alternative to “Off”. Fewer clicks to enter/exit, and direct shortcuts to/from ramp mode. Also, a new auto-lock feature.
- Changed how config menus work, to make them harder to reach by accident and faster to use.
- Menus are on 7H or 10H now, instead of 4C.
- Hold button until desired item is reached, then let go to activate it and get a prompt for entering a number. No need to wait through every option if you only want to change one.
- Remapped some button presses.
- Off 2H: Momentary turbo (or, in simple mode, momentary ceiling).
- Ramp 2C: Ceiling level. Or, if already ramped up to the ceiling, and not in simple mode, it goes to turbo.
- Ramp 4C: Lockout mode.
- Ramp 5C: Momentary.
- Strobe 5C: Momentary strobe.
- Ramp/Candle 5H: Sunset timer.
- Aux LED config is on 7C/7H in both Off and Lockout modes, for better consistency.
- Added more features.
- Choice of 3 styles of memory for last-ramped brightness: Always remember, never remember, or remember for N minutes. (a.k.a. automatic memory, manual memory, or hybrid memory)
- Added an auto-lock feature. Can lock the light if you forget, a configurable amount of time after turning the light off.
- Sunset timer uses 5-minute increments and works in both ramp mode and candle mode. Use “5H” action to activate sunset timer and add time.
- Voltage calibration function, to keep battery readings more consistent from one light to another.
- Disco mode. Changes RGB aux LED color randomly, and quickly, while the light is in “off” or “lockout” mode.
- Misc improvements…
- Put some space between functions with high click counts, to make it harder to get the wrong one by accident.
- Lockout mode’s momentary function always uses lowest brightness first.
- Improved interactions between lockout mode and manual memory… the second momentary press uses the manual memory level if manual mem is enabled, and unlocking goes to manual mem level.
- Changed order of blinky modes: Batt check, Temp check, Beacon, SOS (if enabled)
- Beacon mode’s timer is set by simply holding the button, instead of using a menu.
- Added vendor/product ID info to version check, to help reduce a wide variety of issues related to figuring out which firmware is on a particular light.
- Reduced the minimum number of stepped ramp steps to 1, so you can configure it as a 1-mode light if you want. (brightness is halfway between floor and ceiling)
- A wide variety of small bug fixes.
- Completely refactored the code to make it more organized and easier to maintain.
… and probably some other things which I forgot to mention.
For full details, it’s probably easiest to just read the manual to find out how the new version works.
Original post: (old)