Cree, Luminus, Seoul Semiconductor, and Nichia LED comparison

88 posts / 0 new
Last post
scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

Spelling and grammar mistakes have been fixed. Smile

rojos
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: 07/18/2012 - 19:22
Posts: 996
scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

rojos wrote:

DarkSide wrote:

XPG2 High CRI  

http://octopart.com/xpgwht-u1-0000-00ae7-cree-19504369

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1224

Those are XPG, not XPG2.

[/quote]

Oops, you're right. I just checked and no one has the 90 CRI XP-G2 in stock yet. 

texaspyro
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 04/29/2011 - 12:43
Posts: 4593
scaru wrote:
Is wikipedia wrong then? 

“ If several phosphor layers of distinct colors are applied, the emitted spectrum is broadened, effectively raising the color rendering index (CRI) value of a given LED.”

Or does that simply mean that is one way of doing it?

The problem with boosting the red with phosphors is the conversion from blue to red light tends to not be very efficient and the phosphors are expensive and hard to work with consistently. It is cheaper and more efficient to do the conversion with filtering agents. Or at least that’s how it was explained to me by an LED research guru.

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

texaspyro wrote:
scaru wrote:
Is wikipedia wrong then? 

 

" If several phosphor layers of distinct colors are applied, the emitted spectrum is broadened, effectively raising the color rendering index (CRI) value of a given LED."

Or does that simply mean that is one way of doing it?

The problem with boosting the red with phosphors is the conversion from blue to red light tends to not be very efficient and the phosphors are expensive and hard to work with consistently. It is cheaper and more efficient to do the conversion with filtering agents. Or at least that's how it was explained to me by an LED research guru.

Ok, I'll change it. 

Slim Pickens
Slim Pickens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 5 days ago
Joined: 04/28/2012 - 19:50
Posts: 1189
Location: Maine
texaspyro wrote:
scaru wrote:
Is wikipedia wrong then? 

“ If several phosphor layers of distinct colors are applied, the emitted spectrum is broadened, effectively raising the color rendering index (CRI) value of a given LED.”

Or does that simply mean that is one way of doing it?

The problem with boosting the red with phosphors is the conversion from blue to red light tends to not be very efficient and the phosphors are expensive and hard to work with consistently. It is cheaper and more efficient to do the conversion with filtering agents. Or at least that’s how it was explained to me by an LED research guru.

I understand that manufacturers need to drive down fabrication costs to facilitate adoption…but in my admittedly uninformed opinion, that sounds like laziness in the R&D dept. Interesting point though.

texaspyro
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 04/29/2011 - 12:43
Posts: 4593
Slim Pickens wrote:
I understand that manufacturers need to drive down fabrication costs to facilitate adoption…but in my admittedly uninformed opinion, that sounds like laziness in the R&D dept. Interesting point though.

It’s not to say that there is no magic phosphor phoo involved with all high-CRI leds. I think that the filtering technique is used mainly in high CRI LEDS with high color temperature and ultra-high CRI values (95-99 CRI).

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

Old-Lumens wrote:

I think the Luminus Devices LEDs should be in there and maybe the title should have something like Cree & Luminus LED Data sheet thread....   Or something like that,   or not.  Just thinking out loud.

Thanks for making the thread. Honestly, I never would have thought of something like this.

Just changed the title as I ran out of room to list all of the LEDs. Surprised And to think, I was only planning on this covering XP-G and XM-L. 

ChibiM
ChibiM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 05/09/2011 - 10:25
Posts: 6023
Location: Holland/Japan

Thanks Scaru for doing this!
Very useful!

devman
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 04/27/2011 - 06:24
Posts: 825
Location: Hong Kong / Vancouver, Canada
scaru wrote:

Thanks, I already found them though. But in other news, SST-90 has now been added. Big Smile

Any more suggestions on LEDs to add?

Osram emitters? The dragon series isn’t as commonly found as cree parts, but they’re found in a decent number of low-to-midrange chinese lights.

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

devman wrote:
scaru wrote:

Thanks, I already found them though. But in other news, SST-90 has now been added. Big Smile

Any more suggestions on LEDs to add?

Osram emitters? The dragon series isn't as commonly found as cree parts, but they're found in a decent number of low-to-midrange chinese lights.
Not quite enough info on them to do a full entry for them, by that I mean no one has done any lumen testing. (afaik)
That Ninja Guy
That Ninja Guy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 11/17/2012 - 16:39
Posts: 606
Location: America's High Five, USA, Earth

My brain is a bit jello right now…
Do we have specified bin/(not nearly as important, but interesting)tint for Match’s emitter tests?

Flomotion
Flomotion's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 day ago
Joined: 12/02/2012 - 15:13
Posts: 1405
Location: Pacific Northwest

Wow, thanks, for all the info. I do think it was quite a large pill to swallow, but we are all on a geek diet. I will definitely refer to this post many times forward…

Flomotion

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

I certainly agree, I have trouble getting through it and I wrote it. Silly

That Ninja Guy wrote:
My brain is a bit jello right now... Do we have specified bin/(not nearly as important, but interesting)tint for *Match*'s emitter tests?

You would have to ask Match, I'm not sure. 

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6367
Location: The Light

Great information here! Thanks a lot for compiling and sharing it. Sticky’d.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

PyTech
PyTech's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2012 - 06:21
Posts: 629
Location: Highland, California. USA

Wow, very useful information. Being somewhat new to this field it will come in quite handy. Definitely going to save this info to pc for future referencing as well . Thx

-Sean

Rockspider
Rockspider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 12/07/2011 - 04:10
Posts: 397
Location: Italy, Venice

Great infos! Big job! wow! Surprised

 

I re-read all twice, and found small missings or mistakes that made through the correction 'till now, so I'm listing them here to let you correct them (sorry to make you work more! Wink ):

SST50 and SST90 as you know are from Luminous, it would be nice to mention this, as on all other emitters it was written they were from Cree.

The SST50 picture is derailing, because it's reflowed on a Cree star... can make some confusion to the casual reader..

SSC P7, same as above, would be nice to mention it was made from SeoulSemiConductors

Last, the ending source/list has CREE as provider of infos and datasheets for ALL the emitters, which is clearly not.

 

Cheers Smile

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

Rockspider wrote:

Great infos! Big job! wow! Surprised

 

I re-read all twice, and found small missings or mistakes that made through the correction 'till now, so I'm listing them here to let you correct them (sorry to make you work more! Wink ):

SST50 and SST90 as you know are from Luminous, it would be nice to mention this, as on all other emitters it was written they were from Cree.

The SST50 picture is derailing, because it's reflowed on a Cree star... can make some confusion to the casual reader..

SSC P7, same as above, would be nice to mention it was made from SeoulSemiConductors

Last, the ending source/list has CREE as provider of infos and datasheets for ALL the emitters, which is clearly not.

 

Cheers Smile

THanks for the corrections, they have been fixed. 

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

Updated with a better lumen graph for the Nichia 219 as seen below. 

scaru
scaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 13:36
Posts: 6946
Location: Virginia

Updated with info on XR-E EZ900 v. EZ1000. 

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 4 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3195
Location: Pennsylvania

Thanks to you Scaru for the time you spent on this, and to everyone else who contributed. For me being a newbie this is a great reference for learning and purchase decisions.

"Over 2000000 hours (about 200 years) standby time"  (DQG Tiny 4th)

"27,157 results for zoomable flashlight" (ebay)

 

 

VegasF6
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2010 - 12:31
Posts: 92

“Bump to ask if there are nay other LEDs I should add. It currently has XP-G, XP-G2, XM-L, XM-L2, XP-E, and I’m doing XP-E2 right now. “

SSC P4, used a lot of those.
Osram Golden Dragon / Diamond Dragon
Luxeon Rebel / Rebel ES
Nichia GS

edit
just read post 70 and 71 about the Osram.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 7963
Location: Berkeley, California

also wanted:
Nichia A versus B
Luxeon PC Rebels, versus ordinary Rebels

(or a pointer to a more recent list of LEDs with pictures if there’s another one somewhere, I vaguely recall another …??)

CRX
CRX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 04/02/2013 - 15:27
Posts: 3516
Location: Scotland

Testerx.Loner
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 03/25/2016 - 23:36
Posts: 12

Thank you for very useful infor. I’m using XM-L with 500 lumens. I want to change to XHP70. Big Smile

jumpjack
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/08/2013 - 13:27
Posts: 23
Location: italy

Summary:

“Cree”:http://cree.com/
XR-E: oldest – 7.0×7.0 – 1.0×1.0 – 1mm2 – 56-114 lm
XP-E: 2008 – 3.45×3.45 – 1.0×1.0 – 1.0mm2 – 80-306 lm
XP-G: ??? – 3.45×3.45 – 1.4x.14 – 1.96mm2 115-573 lm
XM-L: 2010 – 5.0×5.0 – 2.0×2.0 – 4mm2 – 200-1105 lm
XM-L2: 2012 – 5.0×5.0 – 2.0×2.0 – 4mm2 – 186-1193 lm
XP-G2: 2012 – 3.45×3.45 – 1.4x.14 – 1.96mm2 – 113-558 lm
XP-E2: 2012 – 3.45×3.45 – 1.0×1.0 – 1.0mm2 – 78-329 lm
MC-E: ??? – 4× 1.0×1.0 mm – 16mm2 – 280-1085 lm
MT-G2: 2012 – 9.1×9.1mm – - 506-920 lm

“Luminus”:http://www.luminus.com/:
SST-40-W: 1000lm
SST-50: ??? – 7.3×9.0mm – 2.2×2.2mm – 5mm2 – 275-1890 lm
SST-90: ??? – 10.0×11.0mm – 3.0×3.0 mm – 9mm2 – 600-3915 lm
SBT-90: ??? – ??? – 2000 lm
CBT-90: ??? – ??? – 2400 lm
CBT-140: ??? – ??? – 3800 lm

“SeoulSemiConductors”:http://www.seoulsemicon.com/
SSC-P7: 2008 – 4× 1.0×1.0 mm – 16mm2 – 251-1100 lm

Nichia
219: 70-512 lm

— Jumpjack —

jumpjack
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/08/2013 - 13:27
Posts: 23
Location: italy

From this thread :

— Jumpjack —

Pages