Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

17120 posts / 0 new
Last post
djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 52 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 12325
Location: Amsterdam

The Miller wrote:
Since we are open for new design or design tweaks I am going to change the bezel.
From metal colored to black to minimize artifacts

I do not have a SRK with shiny bezel, does it have annoying artifacts in the beam? I know many BLF-members are very fond of a SS-bezel

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

tonylim
tonylim's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 04/28/2015 - 11:21
Posts: 30
Location: Singapore

Hi. I am keen in getting one. I am new here. How does the group buy work? Thanks in advance

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9631
Location: Charente France

Welcome to BLF!

Well we are starting this up.
It will take tie to get to final specs and have the light produced.
When that happens the people will receive a discount code via PM and order.
After that the same lights are often kept on sale but at a higher price.

tonylim
tonylim's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 04/28/2015 - 11:21
Posts: 30
Location: Singapore

Hi Miller. Thanks for the reply. I am keen to get either Nichia or xp-l hi nw. Big Smile

Wrathbringer27
Wrathbringer27's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 03/02/2015 - 09:00
Posts: 1945
Location: Singapore GMT +8

Umm I think there’s a mistake. I don’t want 3, I just want 1 LOL. Pleas put me back down to 1 thank you! Silly

Words can be broken,
so can bones.

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9631
Location: Charente France

heheh it was the in! in! in!
besides thi is not fixed or obligational, just interest check Wink

RaVeN
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 06/15/2012 - 22:20
Posts: 205
Location: AU

I’m interested, but it looks like a dream post rather than realistic :S

KoekieMonster
KoekieMonster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 03/28/2014 - 08:05
Posts: 40
Location: The Netherlands

I am interested in this depending on the final configuration and price

EDIT:
some of my preferations:
If it has a tripod nut i’m in, probably for 2 pcs.
If you are going to charge 4× 18650 through a BD0x style charger it’ll take very long, I don’t think this is usefull.
I’d prefer a black bezel
a led ring around the switch which shows the voltage would be very nice.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 5564
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

RaVeN wrote:
I’m interested, but it looks like a dream post rather than realistic :S

Well, yeah! This is an idea generating and general interest thread. That’s what it’s supposed to look like, until the manufacturer gets on board and solid decisions are being made. Go back and read the OP and first several pages of comments of the other BLF Special group buy threads of recent past. In fact, look at the BLF Watch group buy interest thread that is going on now. It looks very much the same.

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

Chicken Drumstick
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 4 days ago
Joined: 08/27/2012 - 05:00
Posts: 2387
Location: UK

strango wrote:
sorry for being annoying but again.
why not make baby SRK BLF runnig on 1*26650 instead of 4*14500

pros 26650
- provides more capacity
- provides more current
- cheaper than 4*14500
- thinner
- torch body for 26650 is more simple

pros 14500
- shorter
- torch can use 1/2/3/4 pcs 14500 (in fact i’m not sure what would be the reason to use baby srk with 3 or less 14500)


I agree. I see no point in 14500’s in this config. I’d rather a 3 × 18500 however. As it’d give you the same compact length as 4 × 14500, but a higher WH rating. And I think wouldn’t need to be any wider.
The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9631
Location: Charente France

Contact is made with Thorfire.
We are making progress,
Neal and Barry are in our email group.

zelee
zelee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 06/04/2013 - 06:53
Posts: 1952
Location: S.E.A

The Miller wrote:
Contact is made with Thorfire.
We are making progress,
Neal and Barry are in our email group.

good news LOL

Don’t mistake my kindness for weakness.
I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me.

Wrathbringer27
Wrathbringer27's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 03/02/2015 - 09:00
Posts: 1945
Location: Singapore GMT +8

Awesome!

Words can be broken,
so can bones.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 5564
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
strango wrote:
sorry for being annoying but again.
why not make baby SRK BLF runnig on 1*26650 instead of 4*14500

pros 26650
- provides more capacity
- provides more current
- cheaper than 4*14500
- thinner
- torch body for 26650 is more simple

pros 14500
- shorter
- torch can use 1/2/3/4 pcs 14500 (in fact i’m not sure what would be the reason to use baby srk with 3 or less 14500)


I agree. I see no point in 14500’s in this config. I’d rather a 3 × 18500 however. As it’d give you the same compact length as 4 × 14500, but a higher WH rating. And I think wouldn’t need to be any wider.

The reason I want multiple cells is because that’s the way SRK’s are now. It’s a small thing, but if I’m gonna call it a ‘mini’ or ‘baby’ SRK, then I want it to be the same design. However, I’m not hung up on it. I can go either way. As The Miller has said multiple times, this thread isn’t about the small SRK, but a regular size one. We can discuss the small one later. Wink

I do want to offer a small insight about the 3× 18500 vs 4× 14500 statement. They won’t exactly fit in the same space, although close. The 4× 14500 will fit in a 34mm ID tube, whereas the 3× 18500 will need a 39mm ID tube to fit. Additionally, there are lots of people on BLF that think 18500 are a waste of time and money. Think about it: 15mm more and you can potentially have 3x the capacity with a 18650.

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

MCT
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 hour ago
Joined: 12/28/2015 - 19:46
Posts: 27
Location: California - USA

I am interested in a Nichia or XP-L HI NW – thanks.

tekwyzrd
tekwyzrd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 24 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2015 - 01:15
Posts: 1079
Location: Northeastern Ohio

I would like to see battery replacement via the tailcap similar to lights like the nitecore ea41.

Nitetime
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 08/18/2015 - 11:57
Posts: 75

I’m in

jdunlap27284
Online
Last seen: 45 sec ago
Joined: 02/21/2012 - 19:43
Posts: 247
Location: Kernersville, NC

I’m in for 1 also… and a small one if it ever happens

2Ace
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 05/03/2015 - 14:56
Posts: 32

I am in for one. Add me to the list please

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 10868
Location: LI NY

If a black bezel means aluminum, I’d prefer SS. I’m a BIG SS bezel fan, always was. 5,000 lumens out of a XM-L2 modded SupFire M6 with a SS bezel isn’t bad. I didn’t notice any issues with the beam pattern. There’s good and bad ways to do bezels though, regardless of color or material. The EE/BLF X6’s for example, have a very low profile bezel, minimizing artifacts or loss’s. Deep bezels like the Roche/Convoy F6 and SWM C20C probably have loss’s because their bezel sticks out significantly.
Deep bezels probably protect the glass a bit better, while shallow bezels have no loss’s. Generally, a black bezel will absorb light more than a reflective SS bezel.

NuggetMcNugget
NuggetMcNugget's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/16/2015 - 14:39
Posts: 298
Location: Sweden

I’m in Beer

Chicken Drumstick
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 4 days ago
Joined: 08/27/2012 - 05:00
Posts: 2387
Location: UK

DavidEF wrote:
. Additionally, there are lots of people on BLF that think 18500 are a waste of time and money. Think about it: 15mm more and you can potentially have 3x the capacity with a 18650.

People who think like that probably aren’t thinking rationally or logically. To paraphrase your argument. Only 4mm wider will give you double the capacity of a 14500 for the same length.

And as there are already plans for a 4×18650 SRK a 3×18650 would probably be redundant. But 3×18500 would be significantly smaller than a regular SKR and much better performing than any 14500 power one.

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9631
Location: Charente France

Yeah well indeed this is quad 18650 for the Q8

must resist temptation

ooh can’t resist going off topic
I would love to see a smaller brother baby SRK capable of 14500 and AA cells, this I would gift
no I fell for it
Please know a baby SRK is talked and thought about but first the King!

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 5564
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
DavidEF wrote:
. Additionally, there are lots of people on BLF that think 18500 are a waste of time and money. Think about it: 15mm more and you can potentially have 3x the capacity with a 18650.

People who think like that probably aren’t thinking rationally or logically. To paraphrase your argument. Only 4mm wider will give you double the capacity of a 14500 for the same length.

And as there are already plans for a 4×18650 SRK a 3×18650 would probably be redundant. But 3×18500 would be significantly smaller than a regular SKR and much better performing than any 14500 power one.


I think you missed where I was going. a 3× 18500 wouldn’t be much smaller than a 3× 18650, but 1/3 the cell capacity. Why do it? A 14500 cell scales down almost perfectly from a 18650 cell. In other words, the ratio of length/width is practically the same for each. So, to make a 4× 14500 that is the same shape as a 4× 18650, but significantly smaller, makes some sense and could truly be called a ‘mini’ version of the same.

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

Melven
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2011 - 12:59
Posts: 134
Location: Utah, USA

I am in.

kbro
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 16:46
Posts: 23

I’m in.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 4768
Location: Ontario, Canada

Maybe, depending on the final design & specs. ( though for a “flooder” the XP-L HI and 219 are not the highest lumens for that purpose.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Kodachrome40
Kodachrome40's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/04/2013 - 14:34
Posts: 853

Please put me on the list for one.

Thanks

Eivwer
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 04/05/2016 - 01:46
Posts: 71
Location: Australia

I’m interested!

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9631
Location: Charente France

YEAH 171 interested. Meaning just at the start of this we are at a whopping 34% of the initial goal of 500
Thanks all!

Barry (Thorfire) is enthusiastic and willing to work with us.

Neal is enthusiastic and willing to work with us.

The current plan is to develop the light with Thorfire and sales and distribution are handled by Banggood.

Pages